Totem

When will we get a 250M OW? What film could do it?

18 minutes ago, peludo said:

This.

Unless the thread is located in DOM market, this Chinese film is the main candidate. And maybe it will do it with certain ease...

If this is just about DOM, Star Wars IX.

If WW3 Is close to as good as WW2, I'd say China takes the win. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

If WW3 Is close to as good as WW2, I'd say China takes the win. 

Yes. And if the quality is enough, then it can combine:

- To be the first 250m OW

- To be the first billion grosser in a single market

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

@IronJimbo and @MrGlass2 are the only serious noms in this - China in 2020 - you really think Avatar 2 won't have a shot at 250m opening? 

Get serious. 

If you mean in China, yes, Avatar 2 has many chances to open to 250.

But Wolf Warrior 3 comes a year before, in 2019. For that reason is the main candidate right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2017 at 3:17 PM, The Stingray said:

Star Wars X

When I was young, the thought of Episode X was mind blowing.   It's cool that the franchise is literally one film away from it being "STAR WARS X" damn.   We are now in that time.  Yes, with inflation and some time off (3-5 year gap after Episode IX) Star Wars X could do it.   If Episode IX following the "Star Wars Trilogy" Pattern which the last two trilogies did, than JJ's film will increase from "The Last Jedi".  But that doesn't mean it will get to 250, it could very well stay flat at 220-230 and have better legs getting it past 700 Million.   "Infinity War" I'm torn because though it has the hype it doesn't have the same building up that "The Force Awakens" had.  It was 10 Years after "Sith" where as there have been 3 Marvel Movies every year pretty much since "Iron Man" 1.   I see 200 happening but I think "Awakens" is safe.  I think this is a battle for I.W. the other 200 OW  films (BP, TA and JW) with "The last Jedi" being the new benchmark at 220.   So my prediction for 250 is "Star Wars X" with on outside chance "Star Wars IX" sneaks up. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

Speculating on X’s gross is completely futile right now. Way too many unknown factors. For starters, we don’t know how long the gap will be, which will have a huge effect on how well it does. It’s not going to be massive like TPM and TFA is the gap is only a few years and there’s not time for people to really miss SW.

And more importantly, IX has the uphill battle of appeasing the bulk of the fanbase, or else it will be the first trilogy to end on a divisive note, and that won’t be good for X. 

Finally, one factor that does seem pretty clear that will be a hindrance to X for sure is that we will officially be done with the OT characters, so there goes a very important part of all three trilogy’s appeal. 

Star Wars X would've definitely had a shot if TLJ wasn't as divisive as it was which would make the anticipation of X much much greater than what it is right now. Not to mention if all 3 of the OT were still alive and had yet to all meet up with each other in the last one to fight one last time together. Say what you want but the OT characters returning to the new trilogy is one of the major reasons it did so well at the BO. 

23 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Star Wars X would've definitely had a shot if TLJ wasn't as divisive as it was which would make the anticipation of X much much greater than what it is right now. Not to mention if all 3 of the OT were still alive and had yet to all meet up with each other in the last one to fight one last time together. Say what you want but the OT characters returning to the new trilogy is one of the major reasons it did so well at the BO. 

Star Wars X's best shot is if we had a Star Wars blackout for another 10 years... 10 years of inflation should do the trick

• Haha 1

If IW doesn’t do it then I don’t see anything hitting that mark for a while, not even SW9(which I still think will hit 200m)

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

What is Star Wars X?

Is that a continuation or Rian Johnson's non-Skywalker Trilogy. 

SW Episode 10 of the main saga films. No way we don’t get another trilogy later down the line with the continued adventures of Rey, Finn and Poe. If they give it another 10 year gap between 9 and 10 then I think it does it. I do think it’s a good possibility that some other movie could hit that mark before then though. 

If not IW then maybe Avengers 4? If IW ends on a pretty good, buzzed about cliffhanger, then the anticipation for part 4 could be even bigger. Maybe

3 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

No chance literally ZERO chance for a Star Wars movie to even come close to that number after how divisive The Last Jedi was.

I don't know about Avatar 2 but definitely a Harry Potter sequel would absolutely have a chance of making $250M.

Huh.

Zero chance?  Like literally literally or figuratively literally?  

Coz after seeing a film about Black Panther get a 200m+ OW in February, I'm not so sure we should be throwing around the phrase "literally zero chance" in such a cavalier fashion.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2018 at 8:13 AM, Juby said:

If not IW this April, I don't see any other film in 2018-2020 schedule which can brake $250 mln OW.

The lion king 275m OW. People don’t really realize just how wide appeal this is. All the others in OW weekend all time lists have one or more demographic that it misses with. Lion King? None. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 3

Yeah Lion King can be massive. If Beauty and the Beast, which leans female (I imagine many young boys were too embarrassed to go see it), can open to $170M+, then the sky is the limit with TLK, which is even more beloved and has wider appeal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Huh.

Zero chance?  Like literally literally or figuratively literally?  

Coz after seeing a film about Black Panther get a 200m+ OW in February, I'm not so sure we should be throwing around the phrase "literally zero chance" in such a cavalier fashion.

Alright I  will change it 0,1% of actually happening!

"Star Wars X" would be the 1st film of the next Star Wars Trilogy so based on history:

Episode IV: Exploded

Episode I: Exploded

Episode VII: Exploded

"Star Wars X" even with a small gap will still most likely explode but I do think there needs to be a significant gap.   I say 2024 May which would be 5 years after "Episode IX".  Or go with 2027 May which would be the 50th Anniversary of the Saga.   But there needs to be a gap and break for sure.  

Edited by filmscholar