Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

Although $1.5B is kind of the new $1B, I just didn't think it was good enough to deserve the milestone. Especially not all three films which could've effectively been put into one.

i would not say $1.5B is the new $1B only three films have ever hit $1.5B and $1B is still very impressive it's not like 10 films a year hit a billion ww. Three is probably to many but i think people need to move on and accept there's 3 movies and there all going to make a bucketload of money.

• Like 1

Although $1.5B is kind of the new $1B, I just didn't think it was good enough to deserve the milestone. Especially not all three films which could've effectively been put into one.

I do not think Alice in Wonderland, POTC4 or TF3 could deserve to reach 1 billion and all of them got it thanks to China. Deserving is very relative. Just tastes.

And after seeing first part, I do not think TH could have been just one movie. If it would had been just one movie I think it would have been an absolute disaster. Maybe two would have been enough (without White Council thread), but not only one.

• Like 2

i would not say $1.5B is the new $1B only three films have ever hit $1.5B and $1B is still very impressive it's not like 10 films a year hit a billion ww. Three is probably to many but i think people need to move on and accept there's 3 movies and there all going to make a bucketload of money.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, and I'm sure many others would too.$1.5B is definitely the new milestone. Pre-Avatar and its eventual 3D onslaught, only 1 film had crossed $1.5B WW. Yes, only one film has crossed the mark Post-Avatar, too, but with the aid of 3D (not in any way taking away from the fact it was a fantastic film).3 films had made between $1B - $1.5 pre-Avatar. Post-Avatar, 7 films have made over $1B WW. 3D has helped a lot of films cross a once-thought 'rare' milestone. Not only that, films that had previously made <$1B WW have now crossed the milestone thanks to a rerelease. As for the 2D films - 2 post Avatar, and there is no denying that, not limited to these two films only, a market filled with expensive 3D films will sometime force people to watch a readily available 2D movie. (And let's not get started on inflation helping films cross the mark either).All I'm saying is that since the onslaught of 3D, the $1B threshold has lost it's 'wonder' - it's hit multiple times a year and is almost a guarantee.

I do not think Alice in Wonderland, POTC4 or TF3 could deserve to reach 1 billion and all of them got it thanks to China. Deserving is very relative. Just tastes. And after seeing first part, I do not think TH could have been just one movie. If it would had been just one movie I think it would have been an absolute disaster. Maybe two would have been enough (without White Council thread), but not only one.

And let's not forget China to add to my point.

True but has not the expansion of foreign markets such as china and russia led to bigger OS totals for big franchise films this has also helped films break the $1B mark. There have been several a year in 2012 and 2011 but this year we could struggle to get 2.

$1.5b is not the new $1b. DH2's $1.33b is definitely impressive, and it's got the biggest overseas gross ($953m) behind only Avatar and Titanic.

Alice, Toy Story 3, On Stranger Tides, Deathly Hallows Part 2, TF3, Avengers, and The Hobbit hit $1b and they were all in 3D. Take away the 3D, and the only ones that would have crossed 3D are Deathly Hallows 2 and Avengers. 

Deathly Hallows 2, Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Avengers are easily the biggest films worldwide since Avatar.

• Like 1

But that's the point I'm making. The film industry has changed and is now causing more and more films to reach $1B WW.I completely understand that without 3D, these films would be sub-$1B grossers, but you can't just use the 2D-adjusted argument, otherwise you'd might as well do the same for inflation.The threshold has changed whether we like it or not.Back at Mojo 1B WW would be referred to as the 'elusive 1B club' and now it seems we're making a club left, right and centre for a film to make 1B WW - doesn't seem that 'elusive' to me anymore, compared to how things used to be.