lab276

The Universal Thread | Dreamworks Animation seeing layoffs, set to outsource their work

Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks will break away from Disney following the release of The BFG, according to a report from The Hollywood Reporter. Spielberg’s deal with Disney, first struck in 2009, is set to expire in August 2016.

Reports suggest that Spielberg will return to Universal, where he’s kept his offices even as Disney has distributed DreamWorks films. Spielberg is said to have been very hands-on with Universal’s blockbuster Jurassic World, and considered to be integral to the future of the franchise. Source’s cited in the report say that Universal “would welcome the chance to be DreamWorks’ distribution partner,” but that no deal is in place at this time.

DreamWorks currently has several films in or near production, including the Ghost in the Shell movie starring Scarlett Johansson.

• Like 4

Universal has tried to acquire/distribute DreamWorks before; when it went up for sale in 2005, Universal was believed to be the frontrunner to take over, due to their long working relationship with Spielberg, and I remember it being quite a shock when their bid was rejected or they were outbid by Paramount or whatever it was.

I swear I remember the same thing with the Reliance sale and/or the Disney distribution deal - I thought Universal's name was thrown around a lot in industry speculation, but they were passed over in the end.

For a 80s/90s kid like me, Spielberg and Universal go together like peanut butter and jelly, hamburgers and French fries, and so forth. If this is true, then I say: Welcome home.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Universal has tried to acquire/distribute DreamWorks before; when it went up for sale in 2005, Universal was believed to be the frontrunner to take over, due to their long working relationship with Spielberg, and I remember it being quite a shock when their bid was rejected or they were outbid by Paramount or whatever it was.

I swear I remember the same thing with the Reliance sale and/or the Disney distribution deal - I thought Universal's name was thrown around a lot in industry speculation, but they were passed over in the end.

Amblin is still based at Universal so having DreamWorks there make a lot of sense. They have quite a few projects that could be successful like The Girl on the Train but they don't release that much per year. Think Bridge of Spies is their only film this year

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Universal has the financial backing to go head to head with Disney. Helps being owned by Comcast.

Remember in about 2004, when Disney was vulnerable enough / there was enough of a lack of confidence in Eisner that Comcast actually attempted a takeover of Disney? I remember that being a huge shock at the time, and another sign that "Disney is in trouble under Eisner."

Edited by TServo2049

Given DreamWorks SKG hasn't exactly been that successful in the last few years. I'm sure it's no huge loss to Disney and a lot of their films have different distributors, Ghost in the Shell is being co produced by Paramount and Ready Player One is WB.

No huge loss?

Disney is probably popping champagne over this. They don't need Dreamworks. And they got play in the one Spielberg movie that is useful to them, The BFG.

This split...makes sense.

Sorry, I should say two. Cause obviously they'll have Indy 5 if that happens. The rest? Disney don't care.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

No huge loss?

Disney is probably popping champagne over this. They don't need Dreamworks. And they got play in the one Spielberg movie that is useful to them, The BFG.

This split...makes sense.

Sorry, I should say two. Cause obviously they'll have Indy 5 if that happens. The rest? Disney don't care.

Given that there's been more misses than hits at DreamWorks, I'm sure Disney are more than happy to drop them. They were always an odd fit for them. I'm surprised they never thought of merging Amblin with DreamWorks.

Given that there's been more misses than hits at DreamWorks, I'm sure Disney are more than happy to drop them. They were always an odd fit for them. I'm surprised they never thought of merging Amblin with DreamWorks.

When they signed the deal?

No Marvel, no Lucasfilm. Feature Animation not so good.

Now? Marvel, Lucasfilm, FA kicking ass.

Disney don't need them. Makes total sense.