lab276

The Universal Thread | Dreamworks Animation seeing layoffs, set to outsource their work

BOX OFFICE: The studio smashed another record on Saturday (Sept 19) as it became the first to cross the milestone.

Universal’s $4bn international box office success is powered by the accomplishments of Jurassic World,which remains active on $1.009bn internationally, andFast & Furious 7, which reached $1.161bn.

Universal and Illumination Entertainment’s Minionsremains a potent force and added $22.8m over the weekend to settle on $785.3m.

• Like 2

So does this mean 2017 is Sony's year?  :D

Depends on if SONY can put together a slate of "must see" films like Univerasl has this year.

And we don't know how long this will last; if Universal has a slate of weak films next year it will go back to the bottom.

Depends on if SONY can put together a slate of "must see" films like Univerasl has this year.

And we don't know how long this will last; if Universal has a slate of weak films next year it will go back to the bottom.

Universal could do a repeat in 2017.

So does this mean 2017 is Sony's year?  :D

ehm... Yeah, because Get Smurfy and Spider-Man (which is still sony?) will gross at 2,5B each...

I think the race between Universal and Disney will be even more intense 2017.

Beauty and the Beast 250m

Guardians 300m

Star Wars 8 500m

Toy Story 4 450m

POTC5 300m

Coco 250m

Spiderman 250m

Thor 3 200m

Fast 8 300m

50 Shades 100m

DM3 400m

PP3 150m

Grinch 150m

No by the way... 2017, disney will rule

• Like 1

ehm... Yeah, because Get Smurfy and Spider-Man (which is still sony?) will gross at 2,5B each...

Guardians 300m

Star Wars 8 500m

Toy Story 4 450m

POTC5 300m

Coco 250m

Spiderman 250m

Thor 3 200m

Fast 8 300m

50 Shades 100m

DM3 400m

PP3 150m

Grinch 150m

Lol at Pirates and DM3, subtract 50-100m for each film. I'm slightly unconvinced, that TS4 will gross more than the third one and no way SW8 only stops at 500m.

I dunno. Even before SW7 releases, I already feel SW8 has the potential for a TDKR/AOU-style drop (much like how I feel about JW2), if only based on the historical precedent of the SW franchise; the first episode of the trilogy is the high point, the second drops quite hard, the third somewhat recovers but is still below the first. Both Empire and Clones dropped, so depending on how SW7 does, SW8 could conceivably end up under $500M.

Edited by TServo2049

Lol at Pirates and DM3, subtract 50-100m for each film. I'm slightly unconvinced, that TS4 will gross more than the third one and no way SW8 only stops at 500m.

I think Pirates will feel pretty fresh in some way with Orlando returning. A mini JW perhaps.  (even though i hated all the films -- i only watch the first half of the three sequels)

Guardians 300m

Star Wars 8 500m

Toy Story 4 450m

POTC5 300m

Coco 250m

Spiderman 250m

Thor 3 200m

Fast 8 300m

50 Shades 100m

DM3 400m

PP3 150m

Grinch 150m

Disney will have 2017 on lockdown with Star Wars and GOTG alone.

Disney will have 2017 on lockdown with Star Wars and GOTG alone.

Even though I can envision SW8 dropping from SW7 much like Empire and Clones, and I could actually see a scenario where GOTGv.2 has a HTTYD2-type "inexplicable" drop rather than a DMC/TDK-type breakout increase (also would not be surprised at a THG:CF-type "basically flat from the original" performance), I can't see how even Universal could best Disney in 2017. No JW2, for one thing.

And I am not trying to be pessimistic about SW8/GOTG2, just saying that even under the worst-case scenario, Disney is very much likely to take the year.

Edited by TServo2049

Guardians 300m

Star Wars 8 500m

Toy Story 4 450m

POTC5 300m

Coco 250m

Spiderman 250m

Thor 3 200m

Fast 8 300m

50 Shades 100m

DM3 400m

PP3 150m

Grinch 150m

Too high on Toy Story 4, Thor 3,  SW 8 and POTC5. Guardians and SW will likely hurt each other, both are space genres.  Pirates and Thor will both be lucky to hit 200m, domestic audiences don't care for the main stars.  

Pitch Perfect and FAST franchises have hit their peaks, i think decreases for both. 

Edited by babz06

Too high on Toy Story 4, Thor 3,  SW 8 and POTC5. Guardians and SW will likely hurt each other, both are space genres.  Pirates and Thor will both be lucky to hit 200m, domestic audiences don't care for the main stars.  

Pitch Perfect and FAST franchises have hit their peaks, i think decreases for both. 

Right now I think Fast 8 will increase, there's still growth to be had in the US and China. WW it's going to decrease. Pitch Perfect is a tough one to predict.

Guardians 300m

Star Wars 8 500m

Toy Story 4 450m

POTC5 300m

Coco 250m

Spiderman 250m

Thor 3 200m

Fast 8 300m

50 Shades 100m

DM3 400m

PP3 150m

Grinch 150m

Spiderman is Sony not Disney.

• Like 1

I dunno. Even before SW7 releases, I already feel SW8 has the potential for a TDKR/AOU-style drop (much like how I feel about JW2), if only based on the historical precedent of the SW franchise; the first episode of the trilogy is the high point, the second drops quite hard, the third somewhat recovers but is still below the first. Both Empire and Clones dropped, so depending on how SW7 does, SW8 could conceivably end up under $500M.

I think that is likely, only because Star Wars isn't the 4 quadrant monster many of us fanboys want it to be. I expect Episode VIII to be coming off of a superior movie than AOTC so the drop will be softened a bit.