Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

Sure TLW had its stupid moments, but so did JP1. One big reason I enjoyed TLW as much as JP1 is that I remember the time I watched it, I felt clearly that it was definitely directed by the same guy that did JP1. I think as a director Spielberg didn't lose his touch on TLW, despite the fact that the script kinda got into a little bit of mess for the sake of the story being bigger. But you have to understand that a movie is far more than just a script.

However, JP3 for me felt vastly distinguishable from the first two, and it felt awful. Sometimes a director's job can only be appreciated when he's replaced by another guy.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 4

I find Temple of Doom to be more fun than Last Crusade.I think Back to the Future Part III is a better film than Back to the Future Part II. (Even though I think II is also very good, all it truly accomplishes in the way of story and character development is to set up Marty's arc for III.)I actually, genuinely enjoy Drop Dead Fred.Another one, not sure how unpopular this is: Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead isn't that bad of a movie. It's slight and stupid, but when I recently caught it on HBO I was surprised that the film I only knew for the past 23 years as a punchline wasn't actually a cinematic travesty.

Edited by TServo2049

thiiis. honestly story really isn't that important at all compared to bold direction, photography, scoring etc.

I agree in general, but not in those cases when people use this argument to defend movies that actually choose to have a story only to have it be illogical. Prometheus is a pretty good example, I know people who claimed the plot holes weren't important at all, it's a great movie because it's got all these ideas, man! And I was like, sure, the themes and ideas are very cool, but a movie should learn how to walk before it can run. Some smaller/art films are guilty of this too, when a character does something completely or partly unmotivated/illogical just so the movie would have a pessimistic ending or be complete as an allegory or something. Most times I can't stand it.

• Like 1

Ghostbusters II is underrated and just as good as the first.

Temple Of Doom is the best Indiana Jones movie and Last Crusade is the weakest (yes, including Crystal Skull), but all four are great in their own way and even the worst Indy movie is high quality.

I agree that Ghostbusters II is underrated, but disagree that it's better than the first.Super Mario Bros. is enjoyable despite its flaws, Dennis Hopper chews scenery like a boss (in a good way), and for someone who hated every minute working on it, and resented the film for the rest of his life, Bob Hoskins put in a darn good performance.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I agree that Ghostbusters II is underrated, but disagree that it's better than the first.Super Mario Bros. is enjoyable despite its flaws, Dennis Hopper chews scenery like a boss (in a good way), and for someone who hated every minute working on it, and resented the film for the rest of his life, Bob Hoskins put in a darn good performance.

Plus, it was awesome they made Yoshi a dinosaur. :)
  • Like 1

Mars Attacks! is kitschy fun. My dad and I have loved it since it came out in theaters.I prefer Terminator over T2 (and make no mistake, T2 is effin awesome, but T1 is a tighter, leaner movie, I dig the dark dingy quasi-horror vibe and the electronic score)2010: The Year We Make Contact is a good movie in its own right.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I agree that Ghostbusters II is underrated, but disagree that it's better than the first.

I didn't say it was better, just that I find it just as good as the first, though I do understand people finding the first better. I think GB2 gets a lot of unfair hate and scorn.