A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

Said this in another thread, but I see some TGM parallels here. One of the biggest untapped potential nostalgia mines left in Hollywood for Gen X + the potential to capture Gen Z like TGM did depending on just how much they let Ortega cook/utilize her. Obviously it’s not going to be on the level of TGM success, but I am convinced it can win DOM next year with great reception and go 400+, maybeee even 500.

Edited by MovieMan89

16 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Said this in another thread, but I see some TGM parallels here. One of the biggest untapped potential nostalgia mines left in Hollywood for Gen X + the potential to capture Gen Z like TGM did depending on just how much they let Ortega cook/utilize her. Obviously it’s not going to be on the level of TGM success, but I am convinced it can win DOM next year with great reception and go 400+, maybeee even 500.

Granted I am not american but is Beetlejuice really considerable "one of the biggest untapped potential nostalgia mines"? Beetlejuice was definitely a solid grosser but only cracked the top10 of its year domestic with only 40% of Top Gun's gross.

I think this has potential (Ortega seems like a great fit for this) and will do well but 500M is asking *a lot* IMO, especially because I don't really expect a film anywhere near TGM's quality from Burton nowadays.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Granted I am not american but is Beetlejuice really considerable "one of the biggest untapped potential nostalgia mines"? Beetlejuice was definitely a solid grosser but only cracked the top10 of its year domestic with only 40% of Top Gun's gross.

I think this has potential (Ortega seems like a great fit for this) and will do well but 500M is asking *a lot* IMO, especially because I don't really expect a film anywhere near TGM's quality from Burton nowadays.

I mean, what other big untapped nostalgia mines are therein Hollywood really? I do think this is one of the bigger. I’d wager virtually every Gen Xer has seen Beetlejuice over the years, I don’t think the box office at the time is that important. It’s more Terminator than Top Gun in terms of how most people saw it imo (home media). 

Yeah, really don’t have any finger on the pulse of its relevance OS though. But Burton is considerably big OS when he makes any bigger budget film in modern times (I think all of his 00s big budget films have had much bigger OS shares). So I think it can do well, even if not what it does DOM. I also don’t know how Wednesday did OS, was Ortega the breakout phenom with Gen Z she was here DOM? 

Edited by MovieMan89

13 hours ago, Arlborn said:

This has the feel of one of those IPs that is much bigger domestically than everywhere else. I'm here for Tim Burton cooking though, always.

Maybe BUrton might get back his Mojo with this film, he has been minus it for a long time.

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean, what other big untapped nostalgia mines are therein Hollywood really? I do think this is one of the bigger. I’d wager virtually every Gen Xer has seen Beetlejuice over the years, I don’t think the box office at the time is that important. It’s more Terminator than Top Gun in terms of how most people saw it imo (home media). 

Yeah, really don’t have any finger on the pulse of its relevance OS though. But Burton is considerably big OS when he makes any bigger budget film in modern times (I think all of his 00s big budget films have had much bigger OS shares). So I think it can do well, even if not what it does DOM. I also don’t know how Wednesday did OS, was Ortega the breakout phenom with Gen Z she was here DOM? 

I think Nostalagi si not enough; you also have to have a good movie.

If all the film has is Nostalgia, it will fail.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I didn’t know we were all down on Burton? I feel like his track record is still pretty decent when we take out all the “watch Johnny Depp do a shtick” dreck. Thats not an issue here. 

At the box office, Burton has not had a hit since 2010 Alice. And that is a film that, though it made a lot of money, is not fondly remembered by most people.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Definitely good Burton will be away from Disney and/or Depp here. Thats almost exclusively where he’s failed in quality this century, Sweeney Todd aside. 

Sorry, but Burton track record fo rover a decade has been weak. And Depp has not been involved some of his failures.

And I have major issues with Sweeney Todd, because of the stupid cuts Depp made from the Sondheim play.

Both Michael Mann and Burton seem to trying for a comeback by going back to t he kind of projects that made them big in the first place. But going back home ts not always easy.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

I don't know if this is going to do well or not but it should sell a butt load of merchandise

Actually, merchandise sales are tied in to how sucesssful a film is most of hte time. A film does not do well, the merchandise does not do well.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Actually, merchandise sales are tied in to how sucesssful a film is most of hte time. A film does not do well, the merchandise does not do well.

Actually, it's a sequel to successful movie with a built in fanbase. Beetle Juice costumes, decorations, merch is going to be all over the place Halloween 2024 no matter what it does at the box office. 

44 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Actually, it's a sequel to successful movie with a built in fanbase. Beetle Juice costumes, decorations, merch is going to be all over the place Halloween 2024 no matter what it does at the box office. 

A sucesfful movie over 30 years ago whose fanbase is  a little too old for buying merchandise. Oh, they will merchandise the hell out of hte movie, but if it dissapoints at the box office, the merch will not sell all that well.

On 11/28/2023 at 10:50 PM, dudalb said:

A sucesfful movie over 30 years ago whose fanbase is  a little too old for buying merchandise. Oh, they will merchandise the hell out of hte movie, but if it dissapoints at the box office, the merch will not sell all that well.

Excuse you, who else is in this movie? 😄  Jenna Ortega, that's who.  WEDNESDAY crossover audience, for sure...