A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Beetlejuice remains one of the more iconic movies in Burton's filmography, and the addition of Ortega has so far proven to be a positive for social media engagement for this as a more compatible title to Wednesday than even the Scream franchise (which she might now be out of anyway, especially if this is a hit and ensures she remains booked and busy). It certainly feels like there's already a lot more genuine intrigue for this than, say, the new Ghostbusters movie that's just a few weeks away from release.

I won't say with confidence I expect this to be a great movie (especially when Burton's been the definition of a "going through the motions" filmmaker for quite some time), but I think even being just "good enough" is all it needs to be to reach a substantial audience, especially following what's looking, based on what's scheduled, to be a typical dog days of summer dry spell.

Yeah unless Alien Romulus really blows up there is not much between DP 3 and this so it should be primed to explode if it delivers. 

On 2/1/2024 at 8:35 PM, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Too early for a Super Bowl commercial, pulse WB almost never shows up for that.

WB seems to have decided that SUper Bowl ads are not the bid deal they once were, and are over priced. They will still make the occasinal purchase, but not nearly as many as they once did.

On 2/1/2024 at 7:57 PM, filmlover said:

Beetlejuice remains one of the more iconic movies in Burton's filmography, and the addition of Ortega has so far proven to be a positive for social media engagement for this as a more compatible title to Wednesday than even the Scream franchise (which she might now be out of anyway, especially if this is a hit and ensures she remains booked and busy). It certainly feels like there's already a lot more genuine intrigue for this than, say, the new Ghostbusters movie that's just a few weeks away from release.

I won't say with confidence I expect this to be a great movie (especially when Burton's been the definition of a "going through the motions" filmmaker for quite some time), but I think even being just "good enough" is all it needs to be to reach a substantial audience, especially following what's looking, based on what's scheduled, to be a typical dog days of summer dry spell.

This. Beetlejuisce is better remembered than many people here think.

Spaeking of GHostbusters, I note after being in limbo for a long time, this was not green lighted until the last Ghostbusters film was a sucess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

WB seems to have decided that SUper Bowl ads are not the bid deal they once were, and are over priced. They will still make the occasinal purchase, but not nearly as many as they once did.

They’ve felt that way for a while. Flash was the first time since 2006 they appeared. And that was a very special circumstance.

Spoiler

There's another song/dance number in this. I thought this was lame idea at first and was just a way to (fail to) recreate the Belafonte awesomeness from the original. But the song they use is so awesome and worlds away from those songs. 

It's MacArthur by Richard Harris.

27 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The guy who rated Mickey17  1.5 stars on letterboxd, rated this 3.5 stars. This could be a return to form for Burton

https://letterboxd.com/derekschiller/films/

I don't know, if you look at the guy's reviews, he has plenty of questionable takes, doesn't mean much at this point. He rated The Batman 1.5 stars as well, so maybe he doesn't like Pattinson.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I don't know, if you look at guys' reviews, he has plenty of questionable takes, doesn't mean much at this point. He rated The Batman 1.5 stars as well, so maybe he doesn't like Pattinson.

True. It's possible.  He does indeed have some questionable takes. He seems a harsh reviewer. Let's hope this is good. And Mickey 17 too

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

I'm gonna be a little conservative in my prediction and say this grosses around the range of Miss Peregrine ($290-300M WW), but with a more even DOM/INTL split.

So long as the budget's not too high, that wouldn't be that bad for this. 

5 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

I'm gonna be a little conservative in my prediction and say this grosses around the range of Miss Peregrine ($290-300M WW), but with a more even DOM/INTL split.

So long as the budget's not too high, that wouldn't be that bad for this. 

A little conservative? Try a lot.  It's doing way better than Miss Peregrine unless it is bad and if what Viewer Anon said up above is true it should do really well. 

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

A little conservative? Try a lot.  It's doing way better than Miss Peregrine unless it is bad and if what Viewer Anon said up above is true it should do really well. 

I don't want to get my hopes up yet just in case it underdelivers (fingers crossed it doesn't). 

I'll definitely be adjusting it later on, though, and I do think if it turns out well enough it could easily be Burton's highest-grossing film since Alice in Wonderland, even if it doesn't come within $300 million of that film's gross.

• Like 1