Olive

Wednesday Est. Box Office Mad3 4.5, PROM 2.2, Snow 1.7

I don't want to derail the thread so if someone could send me a PM and bring me up to speed on the whole Puerto Rico thing. I've been following movies for years and I've seen the Puerto Rico comments/jokes and I've seen the PR flag with Optimus Prime in front of it... but I must have missed the whole thing when it happened. Did a studio ban PR for pirating or something?

Here you go:From Brandon at mojo in 2009:Note: Revenge of the Fallen's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Paramount's Sunday estimate, which would have put the five-day opening at $198.2 million. Though shy of $200 million, it would have still ranked second among the all time five-day starts. However, Paramount revised its grosses from Wednesday and Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $200 million. Wednesday went from $60.6 million to $62.0 million, and Thursday went from $28.6 million to $29.1 million. Paramount reported that the differences came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Wednesday night, which went from the previously reported $16 million at around 3,000 theaters to $16.8 million at close to 3,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference. http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2601&p=.htm
  • Like 2

Here you go:

From Brandon at mojo in 2009:

Note: Revenge of the Fallen's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Paramount's Sunday estimate, which would have put the five-day opening at $198.2 million. Though shy of $200 million, it would have still ranked second among the all time five-day starts. However, Paramount revised its grosses from Wednesday and Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $200 million. Wednesday went from $60.6 million to $62.0 million, and Thursday went from $28.6 million to $29.1 million. Paramount reported that the differences came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Wednesday night, which went from the previously reported $16 million at around 3,000 theaters to $16.8 million at close to 3,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference.

http://boxofficemojo...?id=2601&p=.htm

Posted Image
  • Like 2

And more Puerto Rico stuff straight from Brandon:Good morning Brandon,My name is Dan Grant, or better known as Baumer on your site. I run a game in the Box Office Derby and in it we predict numbers for the summer and then we have questions that help us get more points and so on.One of the questions we had in the game this week is “Will Transformers 2 beat Sith’s midnight number?” In one article, we found Sith did 16.5, which I think was an estimate. Another article states 16.921 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1824&p=s.htm). Now I believe this one, but I do have a question for you and it has nothing to do with the game.You have Transformers 2 doing 16.8 million now at midnights (http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2601&p=.htm). Do you find this odd that Paramount has done this? Is this a normal thing for a studio to do? We all believe it fell short of the 200 mill for the 5 day, and frankly don’t really care. It is a massive haul no matter what. But this creative accounting that seems omnipotent in film today is getting a bit questionable now. You have films like Titanic squeaking by 600 mill, Superman Returns inching past 200 mill, Evan Almighty just breaking through 100 mill and it looks like Knowing is going to stick around to make 80 million. Do you believe that what Paramount is reporting is possible, or do you find that there is a little chicanery going on here?I’d love to hear your opinion on this.Thanks for your time,Kind regards, Dan (baumer)Hi Dan,What Paramount did was unusual, and I called them on it immediately and my Weekend Report states their answer. Unfortunately, if they actually fudged the numbers, they would not admit to it. In my reporting, it would be inappropriate for me suggest that Paramount cheated without proof, despite the obvious red flags: From how these missing grosses luckily put them past $200 million after they overestimated the weekend on Sunday as well as how Paramount hadn’t missed grosses before with massive mid-week launches (including the first Transformers). Some of what they claim makes sense: For example, institutional IMAX theaters are notorious for delayed reporting and revisions.However, one industry problem is that what you or I might call “cheating” is accepted as the norm. It seems apparent that studios have fudged numbers in the past to get desirable outcomes, often by moving money around or subtracting from future grosses so that the ultimate total is accurate by public company standards (the now-defunct New Line seemed notorious for this, but then they ultimately failed, so they got theirs in the end).In the case of movies like Knowing, it seems more a case of the distributor tracking the movie’s box office long enough and keeping the movie in theaters long enough to reach a milestone. That’s not the same as what Paramount did, though it’s not cool when tracking suddenly stops once a milestone is reached.Regards,Brandon GrayPresident & PublisherBox Office Mojohttp://www.boxofficemojo.combrandon@boxofficemojo.com

• Like 4

TA locked for $1m+ thursday.

Through this upcoming Sunday, TA will have had 52 days over $1million. Amazing.

* If a sizable number of theaters opened Thursday night before OD, then that's poss. 53 days.

Only Titanic, Shrek 2, and Avatar have lasted longer am I missing any other films?

So TA doesn't have the "Consecutive Days over $1m" record then? I thought that's what the excitement was about.I'm I reading that there are still movies that have a longer streak? If that's the case the bubble is burst already.

It has the record for Super Hero movies :P

Thanks B. You are too kind.Also... the fact that it involves TF explains how I willfully and with malice aforethought overlooked this story in the past.

Hahahahahahaha

Why is everyone saying "Good luck," when he's just seeing a movie? I'm pretty sure he's coming back alive no need to worry. ;)

That should only be said if your seeing Blair Witch where people actually needed barf bags :P(Dang I thought I had the worse camera angles until that film :P)