Grave of the Fireflies

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The only film that has ever made me sob. I could not stop crying for ten minutes after watching it. A masterpiece, and definitely one of, if not the best war film ever made. A stunningly beautiful work, and one of the most emotionally wrenching. You're going to want to watch this. It'll make you cry, but you'll be a slightly better person for it.

A+

• Like 2

This is a very sad and depressing movie however knowing that Seita and Setsuko were gonna die from the opening line of the movie kind of cuts most of the sadness. If not for that I probably would have cried, but since I knew it was coming the whole movie I didn't take it nearly as hard. Very effective anti-war film though, if not a little slow in a few places.A-

most of my criticisms here might be due to the animation style and western dubbing...the characters are drawn in such a way that they seem almost completely emotionless most of the time, and that isn't helped by the robotic dialogue. a nice tale with some beautiful imagery at times though (perhaps too beautiful, the ugliness of the story certainly doesn't come across visually). i dunno, this really was one of the most disappointing movies i've seen in a while.

52/100, C

most of my criticisms here might be due to the animation style and western dubbing...the characters are drawn in such a way that they seem almost completely emotionless most of the time, and that isn't helped by the robotic dialogue. a nice tale with some beautiful imagery at times though (perhaps too beautiful, the ugliness of the story certainly doesn't come across visually). i dunno, this really was one of the most disappointing movies i've seen in a while. 52/100, C

Only watch it in Japanese. Edited by lab276

I'd heard all about how gutwrenchingly sad and depressing this film was before I saw it, but what I didn't expect was how much it's loaded with moments of pure, unadulterated beauty as well. It reminded me in a way of Life is Beautiful, with Seita trying to make life as fun as possible for his sister through the unforgiving realities of a war-torn country. Deserves every bit of its praise and then some.

A+

Superb film. It is, at least for me, among the very best animated movies of all time. One of the most touching and depressing movies i have ever seen. People who mostly watch only western animation would be surprised at how touching and realistic an animated movie can be. Almost everything from the characterization to the soundtrack is near perfect. I was able to control my tears while watching this the first time. Just after I finished watching it, i went to sleep. But when I later woke up I just couldn't stop the tears from coming. I would strongly recommend this movie to everyone, especially if you want to see a touching and realistic animated movie.

Defintely A+, 10/10

Also, another very important thing - if you are watching this for the first time then just after watching the complete movie, please rewatch the first 5 minutes or so. I bet they would be one of the saddest movie moments of your life.

Edited by Infernus

I don't know if I could ever this films again, it just broke me.

Ghibli Marathon

The Wind Rises 100/100
Grave of the Fireflies 90/100
Spirited Away 85/100
Princess Mononoke 80/100
Porco Rosso 75/100
Ponyo 70/100
Howl’s Moving Castle 70/100
Castle in the Sky 60/100
Kiki’s Delivery Service 55/100 
The Cat Returns 50/100
My Neighbor Totoro 45/100