Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

You know what I find funny about Disney and fairy tales is that everyone seems to think Pinocchio a fairy tale (the character even appears on Once Upon a Time for fuck sakes), specifically because of the kind of story it is and because of Disney's adaptation, when in reality it's not, it's a 19 century Italian novel originally written in serial format.

It couldn't be further from being a fairy tale.

I just find that kind of funny and strange to be honest.

well how do you define fairy tales... if you only count folk tales for which an author is not known then stuff like the little meremaid is also not a fairy tale.

Oh, and BH6 having a 30% ish drop this WE would be really really cool!

Damn i still have to wait until the beginning of December when i am in new york to see it... here in austria it isnt released until next year :(

Edited by chuck0

well how do you define fairy tales... if you only count folk tales for which an author is not known then stuff like the little meremaid is also not a fairy tale.

Well hey even The Disney versions of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty have the same credited author who gets a "based on the story by" credit, that being Charles Perrault.

"A fairy tale (pronounced /ˈfeəriˌteɪl/) is a type of short story that typically features European folkloric fantasy characters, such as dwarves, elves, fairies, giants, gnomes, goblins, mermaids, trolls, or witches, and usually magic or enchantments".

Pinocchio does have magic in it, so I guess you can count is a fairy tale of sorts if you wanted to, but it's more of a tale what happens you disobey authority, and cause mischief (I guess that does make it fairly tale if went by what Tribefan says).

I see The Little Mermaid as a being more of a fairly tale specifically because of it's older setting, and because it has more of a fantasy element than Pinocchio.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 3

I figured the conventional wisdom was "fairy tales" are fantasy-based narratives that are intended to teach some sort of moral.

did some wikipediaing and i guess fairy tales written by an Author are called literary fairy tales... the real fairy tales are those that have been collected by for example people like the brothers grimm... stuff like for example Hansel and Gretel. :)

• Like 1

BH6's biggest threats these next few weeks will be Mockingjay and Penguins.

Penguins for head-to-head but in fairness Mockingjay just straddles the fence for some of the same audience.

It's much more it's own thing than direct competition to just BH6. It's a force for any film to reckon with regardless of genre or intended original audience fanbase. It's become more than it was. 

• Like 1

Peter Pan isn't a fairytale either as its based on a play and book by JM Barrie, same with Alice in Wonderland which is based on a book.

here a list of some that are undeniably one :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimms%27_Fairy_Tales

stuff like Snow White, Briar Rose (Sleeping Beaty) or Little Red Riding Hood are on there.

Penguins for head-to-head but in fairness Mockingjay just straddles the fence for some of the same audience.

It's much more it's own thing than direct competition to just BH6. It's a force for any film to reckon with regardless of genre or intended original audience fanbase. It's become more than it was. 

I think the young female demographic is pretty important to BH6... maybe not as important as for Frozen, but still i think MJ1 could hurt it quite a bit.

Edited by chuck0

I think BH6 is going to have a really big day today. Here in Canada we have a rare combination of a national holiday falling on discount Tuesday.

At 10:30 this morning I decided to see it again today, first I tried for the 12:10 show, nothing left but the first 2 rows and a few extreme edge seats. I then tried the 2:40 show, almost identical to the 12:10. I finally settled for the 1:30 show which wasn't reserved seating, I just figured I'd get there early enough to get a good seat. Arrived 45 minutes early and it was already over 70% full, but I did get a good front row seat in the balcony. Later shows were already showing sell outs as I left.

• Like 2

^ Peter Pan is considered a fairy tale by some as well which is also baffling. Just because the work involves fairy tale elements does not make it one, fairy tales are in my opinion folk tales with magical elements. When the work has a known writer and it is from 19th century I can not see them as fairy tales. Hans Kristian Andersen's works however is something of an exception, since they made back to oral tradition.

• Like 1

Fun fact,

Frozen, Tangled, and Big Hero 6 all have an 89% on RT (Both Tangled and Big Hero 6 both have a top critic rating of 89% as well)

Wreck-It Ralph is sadly at an 86% despite having a higher average rating than them all except Frozen (although it does have the highest Top Critic Average rating although its top critic percentage is the lowest)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

You know what I find funny about Disney and fairy tales is that everyone seems to think Pinocchio a fairy tale

While it may not technically be a fairy tale, it is a tale and it has a fairy, so it's close enough for most people and Disney.

Peter Pan isn't a fairytale either as its based on a play and book by JM Barrie,

Well, it is a tale and it has a fairy, too....

So many good movies get 89% in addition to those listed by the Panda, HG:CF and CA2 got 89%.

I'd argue 89% is the best rotten tomatoes score possible

Based on recent movies that I really adore, I'd have to agree. I guess 11% is just the right percentage of critics to disappoint or somehow piss off. :P More than this and something may really be wrong with the movie, and less means that it's too "safe" to be interesting. ;)

• Like 2

Based on recent movies that I really adore, I'd have to agree. I guess 11% is just the right percentage of critics to disappoint or somehow piss off. :P More than this and something may really be wrong with the movie, and less means that it's too "safe" to be interesting. ;)

Huh? A lot of memorable films have more than 89%, such as most Pixar films. And I don't think you can seriously say BH6 and Frozen take more risks than they do.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Huh? A lot of memorable films have more than 89%, such as most Pixar films. And I don't think you can seriously say BH6 and Frozen take more risks than they do.

Just being a bit facetious (hence the emoticons), as obviously one can hardly deduce so much from something as simplistic as an RT score. ;) That said, many of Pixar's movies do seem on the "safe" side to me in many respects, although they take a few chances in certain areas; WDAS is pretty much the same, generally speaking.

As for Frozen, being a full musical alone is taking a chance, as some people are going to dislike it for a variety of reasons, including the fact alone (some people hate musicals) and differing tastes in music. Then there is vilifying a nice-seeming prince character, which was bound to piss off a fair number of people, and indeed I think it has. Some people hate it because they think that it "invalidates" all of the previous WDAS animated features--well, they're wrong about that, but in any case I like that some people hate the movie for this alleged reason. :)

As for Big Hero 6, it takes some old-school Pixar-like chances with the basic elements of the story (e.g. weird stuff like San Fransokyo and an inflatable robot), as well as having the protagonist

deliberately do something bad to another good guy

(actually, this is a bit more risky in a way).

WDAS doesn't necessarily take more chances than Pixar, but I think that they're generally allowed to get away with less, so in a way, they do (and they're also punished when they play it safe--just can't win with everyone). RT scores per se don't actually factor into this, although by coincidence I thought I would facetiously use it to make a point (still open to interpretation, but one point is that higher RT scores don't necessarily mean that a movie is better--well, duh, but we were making a little joke out of it, too ;)).

Maybe some kids faked being sick to see Big Hero 6? I know I would ;)

In speaking of which, I seriously need to see this movie again. I literally ended up thinking and crying about the movie a few nights ago :ph34r:

I saw a drawing with Tadashi, Baymax and Hiro and started crying! The feels..

B)  Baymax tho :wub:  :wub:

Edited by GuardiaStar
  • Like 2

Yeah.  I'm planning to go see it again this weekend (or sooner, if possible).

I'm really curious what the multiplier on this will be.

Do we have any other animated films opening at this time of year that would be good for reference?

• Like 2

Yeah.  I'm planning to go see it again this weekend (or sooner, if possible).

I'm really curious what the multiplier on this will be.

Do we have any other animated films opening at this time of year that would be good for reference?

Wreck it Ralph would be the best one. Only two years old, same release date, and WDA. That had a 3.9x multi. This could be a lot better than even that great multi if this Tuesday number is any indication. But again, competition is coming. Especially late competition when Annie, Night at the Museum, and Into the Woods all go after the family audience in December. This isn't Frozen, where it only had Walking With Dinosaurs to fend off in December.

• Like 1

Wreck it Ralph would be the best one. Only two years old, same release date, and WDA. That had a 3.9x multi. This could be a lot better than even that great multi if this Tuesday number is any indication. But again, competition is coming. Especially late competition when Annie, Night at the Museum, and Into the Woods all go after the family audience in December. This isn't Frozen, where it only had Walking With Dinosaurs to fend off in December.

I agree, there is more competition, especially from Annie and Penguins.

I'm not sure about Into the Woods.  I love it and I've seen it several times, but other than the fact that it's fairy tales, it's not really a 'kids' centric movie.  Safe for kids, yeah, but if it's like the stage version it's really more for slightly older audiences.

• Like 2