Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Saw this today.

WHY HAVEN'T YOU GUYS BEEN HYPING FEAST??? Seriously, that was the best part of this experience, even though I liked the movie itself. Feast is probably the best short Disney has done yet in this new Renaissance; it legitimately made me break down crying at the end.

Totally agree with you.

I hope they just skip Feast or add something like an advert in between before playing BH6 because when BH6 was starting, I was still thinking about Feast and it distracted me from the actual movie. And even when the movie ended, I was still craving for more Feast clips or anything.

Actually, I enjoyed and loved Feast more and I think it's better than BH6, all in all! Huh, really weird... A short story with few minutes of runtime is better than a hour and a half movie. And with no dialogue and just good music and simple story.

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

When Big Hero 6 officially crossed $200 million domestically on Monday, there was very little fanfare about it. Very few news articles picked up on that milestone and reported it in their headlines or body text. Following standard industry practices, most media outlets gave their box office reports based on studio estimates that were released before the actuals were out. So these outlets reported that Big Hero 6 was "inches away from the $200 million mark domestically" which is arguably less attention grabbing than saying that a movie crossed the $200 million mark domestically. 

Perhaps, the Forbes contributor Scott Mendelson was right when he predicted some time back that Big Hero 6 was likely to be "the year's quietest box office smash." :)

Edited by humanscrabble
  • Like 2

Big Hero 6 is already the year's quietest box office smash in my view.  Even if it does $600 million WW, I'm sure there will be very little buzz or the buzz will be too late!  It's WW cumulative thus far already stands at a nice $324 million so I'm sure $400 and $500 million are not out of reach if it does well in its major markets.

• Like 3

Its longevity is astounding. It might approach n total gross of 4x its OW, which rarely happens for early november releases. That kind of multiplier is usually reserved for Thanksgiving and december releases.

Astounding? Talk about a major hyperbole when referring to an animated film that opens during the holiday season.

Edited by Noctis

Big Hero 6 currently stands at No. 9 on the Top 10 domestic grosses of 2014 and at No. 23 on the WW grosses of 2014 chart.  Cracking the Top 5 domestically might be an adversity, seeing as T:AoE is at a stable $245 million while No. 4 is the Lego Movie, at a comfortable $257 million!  I'm not sure Big Hero 6 will crack the Top 10 WW but fingers crossed because you never know with China and Japan, it might even cross $100 million in the latter! :D

• Like 2

Don't pretend you even read what I was arguing or you'd know it's not even about that movie. It's about this one. And yes it would have made more with no competition. Go back to the Frozen thread from whence you came. And get a new catch phrase while you're there cause you're not cute, funny, clever, or even a little bit intelligent with that old beaten horse.

It's same BS from last year. First it would have horrible legs then competition became part of your argument. How do you quantify how much money was gained or lost with your no comp theory? You can't. How do you know for certain that Frozen wouldn't have made 400M+ this year, you don't hence fail on your part. 

Anyway, back on track with BH6. 230M+ looks very likely now for it. Great run for it and another feather in WDAS cap. 

• Like 1

Big Hero 6 is looking to finish at about 225-230M domestically, and probably around 550-600M worldwide. The domestic number would make it comfortably sit in the number 9 position in North America, but unfortunately might not hit the top 10 worldwide (might end up at #12 WW). Still, it's a massive improvement over Wreck-it Ralph's number, and also that of Tangled domestically. We need a few markets to break out. I'm counting on China this time.

If Big Hero 6 doesn't hit the top 10 WW, it'll be the first time since 1997 to not feature an animated film in the top 10. That's a freaking 17 years ago!

• Like 1

WIR = (1-6-13) $1,181,724 / 20 / 709 / $1,667 / -36.3% / $178,501,640  = Total: $189,422,889

So it did approx another $10.9m off a $1.82m w/e or about 6 times the w/e #

If BI6 performs comparably that would be another $28.89m so yes it's possible that it passes DOFP.

That's 1.182, not 1.82. WiR was about 9.2x the post-NYD weekend.

Frozen earned ~104m after a 19.58 weekend (5.3x)

Tangled earned either 33 after a 9.8 weekend (3.4x) or 25 after a 5.1 (4.9x). However in that case NYE/NYD happened on Fr/Sa so it's difficult to pinpoint the "post-New Year's Weekend". Probably best to ignore either case, although the 4.9x might be a good point for NEXT weekend.

My guess is that it ends up somewhere in that range of 5-10x. At least 25m more, but probably not anything more than 45m. So it could pass DoFP, but it's definitely not guaranteed.

• Like 2