diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

It is amazing how Korean people love to go to cinemas. In Spain, with a similar population, there is just 1 film over 10 million admissions (Titanic). Good for you :)

I'd imagine that's because there are a lot more interesting things to do in Spain besides going to the cinema  ;) movie watching just happens to be one of the major pastimes over here. 

10m admissions in SK is HUGE!!! It's 20% of the population. Imagine 20% of the population go to the movies DOM... that's 70m admissions ($8 is the average ticket there), so it means $560m!!!! 

True but you have to look at things from a certain perspective. When 4 films in a single year reaches the threshold required for films to be considered "one of the most successful of all time" maybe it's time to change the threshold. 

If 20% of Chinese people go to see a film, it will make $1.55B.

That's how much TF8 will gross. You heard it here first!  :D

• Like 3

10m admissions in SK is HUGE!!! It's 20% of the population. Imagine 20% of the population go to the movies DOM... that's 70m admissions ($8 is the average ticket there), so it means $560m!!!! 

for a huge blockbuster with 3d/Imax I would think it will be close to $10 per ticket as movies explode mainly in big cities where average ticket prices are well above $10(if you include imax/3d).

Korea is an amazing market where both local and hollywood movies explode. Movies open huge and movies are leggy as well. We also get accurate daily BO just at midnight time. Plus they report admissions which makes it possible to compare without judging movies by various premiums.

• Like 1

for a huge blockbuster with 3d/Imax I would think it will be close to $10 per ticket as movies explode mainly in big cities where average ticket prices are well above $10(if you include imax/3d).

Korea is an amazing market where both local and hollywood movies explode. Movies open huge and movies are leggy as well. We also get accurate daily BO just at midnight time. Plus they report admissions which makes it possible to compare without judging movies by various premiums.

Avengers had less than 8$ ticket prices, that is pretty huge blockbuster and it had a lot of 3D

I think it's safe to say now that Ode to my father is locked to beat 10 million admissions. This will make it the fourth film released in 2014 to reach the milestone which is a ridiculous amount. It used to be that a film reaching 10M admissions was a really big deal but nowadays the novelty factor and significance is starting to diminish somewhat with at least one film from summer and one from winter always being expected to reach it. Maybe roaring currents should be the new standard of what constitutes a "mega-hit film" in South Korea

So are you raising your TA2 predictions?

So are you raising your TA2 predictions?

Interstellar marked the first time that a film reached 10 million admissions without holiday legs and by a foreign release no less. I think it was a watershed moment of sorts and quite relevant to TA2's performance. If Age of Ultron keeps the release date of IM3 and opens to relatively little competition then a massive OW and second week (which is golden week holiday) is all but guaranteed. IM3 level or higher (IM3's 2 week total was 5.87M admissions) looks very likely. However, IM3 did 65% of it's total business during these two weeks so you can imagine legs after that wasn't so good. AoU will need really good WoM for subsequent weeks to increase significantly from IM3.

A common factor of all 10M+ admission films is that they had an event feel to them. I think Age of Ultron can become an event film too if the quality is there and it has enough scenes of Seoul getting wrecked. Due to budget/technical limitations it's a scene that most Koreans haven't seen before so it could get people to the theatres just for that. Without knowing more I'm still thinking 10-11M admissions should be the baseline for this film but the potential is there for it to do more. 

• Like 3

I'd imagine that's because there are a lot more interesting things to do in Spain besides going to the cinema  ;) movie watching just happens to be one of the major pastimes over here. 

Yes, we live a lot "on the street". But just 10 years ago, Spain was selling about 140 million admissions, which was a quite respectable number, and because economical crisis, home cinemas and piracy, attendance has plummeted. But that does not explain the incredible growth of attendance of Korean market in last few years. I guess that leisure time habits of Korean people have not changed so much lately, or yes? What do you think is the reasons, attractive prices? increase of advertising everywhere?

Yes, we live a lot "on the street". But just 10 years ago, Spain was selling about 140 million admissions, which was a quite respectable number, and because economical crisis, home cinemas and piracy, attendance has plummeted. But that does not explain the incredible growth of attendance of Korean market in last few years. I guess that leisure time habits of Korean people have not changed so much lately, or yes? What do you think is the reasons, attractive prices? increase of advertising everywhere?

It's hard to pinpoint the exact reason though I can make an estimated guess. Many people point out that there isn't really an apt pastime to substitute going to the cinemas and that is probably true to an extent especially in the major cities where quality outdoor activities can be difficult. 

I think more important though is that there is a healthy balance between local fare and foreign films. Most countries around the world don't have as robust a market for local films as Korea does and so while Hollywood predominates in those countries it has to fight for it's share in Korea.

The implementation of the screen quota law in particular allowed time for the Korean film industry to grow in quality and popularity and kept the box office from being dwarfed by Hollywood films during its early years. Films such as Shiri and JSA, which are often regarded as landmark films when talking about the Korean box office would never have had the success they had without the screen quota law in place.

Right now the situation is one in which foreign studios are aware of the major local releases and schedule appropriately in a way to maximize profits. The same holds vice versa. 

• Like 1

South Korea Daily Box Office (January 9)

-Admissions  (Total Adm)   Daily%   Gross    (weekly%)  [sC]  <Title>

1. 207,143   (8,759,396) +9.27% $1.509M  (-56.0%)  [855] <Ode to my father> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.   72,855   (1,478,521) +14.4%    $551K   (-62.7%)  [494] <Taken 3>  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.   51,290   (1,121,142) +0.00%    $344K   (-67.1%)  [458] <Penguins of Madagascar>  
4.   30,212        (85,072) +8.59%    $221K        (--)      [375] <Unbroken> 
5.   26,124        (78,517) +5.70%    $179K        (--)      [453] <Paddington>

10.   9,118   (2,780,835) +16.8%      $74K   (-79.7%)  [176] <The Battle of the five armies>

11.   6,369 (10,207,656) +21.3%      $58K   (-62.1%)    [69] <Interstellar>

Total admissions: 514,274

Total Gross: $3,741,574

January Total: $59,095,602 

Cumulative gross

Taken 3: $10.639 million

Interstellar: $74.953 million 

Ode to my father: $61.515 million

Penguins of Madagascar: $7.726 million

The Battle of the five armies: $21.627 million

Current presales (Midnight)
01. 40.3% (180,613) Ode to my father
02. 14.9%   (66,779) Penguins of Madagascar
03.   8.3%   (37,283) Taken 3
04.   7.3%   (32,606) Paddington
05.   4.8%   (21,408) Unbroken

• Like 6

Top 10 most attended foreign releases

01. 13,624,328  Avatar

02. 10,296,101  Frozen

03. 10,207,656  Interstellar

04.   9,001,309  Iron Man 3

05.   7,784,807  Transformers Dark of the moon

06.   7,575,899  Mission Impossible ghost protocol

07.   7,505,700  Transformers: Revenge of the fallen

08.   7,440,531  Transformers

09.   7,074,867  The Avengers

10.   6,396,528  The Dark Knight Rises

*Red=Still in theatres

South Korea Daily Box Office (January 10)

-Admissions  (Total Adm)  Daily%    Gross    (weekly%)  [sC]  <Title>

1. 460,626   (9,222,148) +120%  $3.405M  (-27.2%)  [926] <Ode to my father> 

2. 149,386   (1,629,748) +100%  $1.135M  (-38.6%)  [529] <Taken 3>  
3. 125,419   (1,246,571+144%     $879K   (-30.2%)  [527] <Penguins of Madagascar>  
4.   61,058      (146,671) +98.5%    $450K        (--)      [396] <Unbroken> 
5.   58,698      (137,283) +124%     $406K        (--)      [408] <Paddington>

10. 19,005   (2,800,026) +104%     $157K   (-64.3%)  [185] <The Battle of the five armies>

11. 12,141 (10,219,904) +87.5%    $108K   (-35.1%)    [75] <Interstellar>

Total admissions: 1,076,495

Total Gross: $7,944,348

January Total: $67,039,950 

Cumulative gross

Taken 3: $11.774 million

Interstellar: $75.061 million 

Ode to my father: $64.92 million

Penguins of Madagascar: $8.605 million

The Battle of the five armies: $21.784 million

Current presales (Midnight)
01. 41.8% (149,938) Ode to my father
02. 12.8%   (45,777) Penguins of Madagascar
03.   7.6%   (27,169) Taken 3
04.   6.8%   (24,470) Paddington
05.   4.7%   (16,887) Unbroken

• Like 5

Five armies is now the highest grossing film of the hobbit series.

76,188 admissions now separate Interstellar and Frozen. It's a close race but I'm leaning towards Frozen staying ahead at the end of Interstellar's run. 

• Like 2

Five armies is now the highest grossing film of the hobbit series.

76,188 admissions now separate Interstellar and Frozen. It's a close race but I'm leaning towards Frozen staying ahead at the end of Interstellar's run.

During quiet periods in Korea, do IMAX show older films again? That's what happens sometimes in the UK, and could swing the balance in Interstellar's favour if they do.

During quiet periods in Korea, do IMAX show older films again? That's what happens sometimes in the UK, and could swing the balance in Interstellar's favour if they do.

Yes, Interstellar is currently sharing IMAX showings with TH3. I'd say a good chunk of the daily admissions come from IMAX screens. Otherwise it probably would have died a long time ago. Demand on 2D showings is close to zero most likely.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Korea’s First ‘100 million actor’, OH Dal-su

AcyYjNRRwqlNMZRikqiy.png

Finally a ‘100 million actor’ has been born. As expected, OH Dal-su is the winner. He had continued to appear in back-to back box office hit movies. With over 7 million admissions to Ode to My Father, he became Korea’s first ‘100 million actor’. His next film will be released during the Lunar New Year, Detective K: Secret of the Lost Island, continuing to beat his won record. 

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/news/infographic.jsp?blbdComCd=601028&seq=7&mode=VIEW

• Like 1