Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Wow, my bad. For some reason I read "ugly looking lead characters".

No. I'm not a fan of ugly reature looking things, like that mutated, boily turtle looking thing in the trailer. That's why I brought up Dune.

57 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

I know the source material inspired Star Wars to some degree, but this had a very similar look to the prequels to me.  That was not a compliment.  I liked 5th Element and Lucy, but, eh.  This just doesn't look good at all, at least based on that.  Maybe reviews will be great.

The Star Wars Prequels wishes it looked this good. The Jungle Book was sold on its visuals too. Lets see if it will work here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hades said:

The Star Wars Prequels wishes it looked this good. The Jungle Book was sold on its visuals too. Lets see if it will work here. 

Well, yes, obviously the prequels being, what?  18 years ago?  One would sincerely hope this looks better.  I actually didn't mean the effects, so much as the colors, the brightness, the way everything looks clean and some of the images themselves.  There's the underwater stuff, even the big fish things like in TPM.  There are the tall, white aliens with the funny heads, robots that look at least similar enough to those little annoying fix-it bots for me to notice.  Even the alien creature that attacks them looks similar to the one in AotC.  I'm not saying it is derivative.  I get that this came first.  I'm just saying, that was my first thought watching the trailer.  Reminded me of the prequels.  *shrug*  Maybe I'm the only one, but that is not a good mental comparison for me.  

I have nothing against the movie. Hope it gets great reviews and does well.  Nice to see something not a sequel.  Like I said, I enjoyed Besson's other movies, but this one didn't really grab me.  I'll wait for reviews and see how things go. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

People asking if this property has ever moved into the rest of Europe outside of France.

Nope. Never heard of it.

To be honest, it s not even that big in France.

Comics fans know about it but it was never mainstream like Astérix or Tintin.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the leads. Okay, i'll rephrase, there's nothing that would suggest these two cannot act. It's prejudice if i ever saw one. Having said that, what is difficult to get one's head around is the notion that these two kids are this special unit saving the universe. In the books, could the leads also pass as teens? I dunno, it takes me out of the narrative. Bruce Willis, i was able to believe him kicking ass but even he started out as a cabbie.

Still, the sheer audacity and shrillness of it all make it look quite appealing.

• Like 2

I saw the most recent teaser in front of MMPR and the visuals still look amazing, and so far I've liked every Besson movie except for The Family. As for the leads, I haven't seen much that either has been in, but DeHaan seems solid enough. I actually just watched Chronicle again and he was great in that.

The only thing I've seen Delevigne in is Suicide Squad and all I can picture is that weird spazzy gyrating she did.

I think it has been mentioned before, but DeHaan and Delevigne look way too much like brother and sister, it puts a kind of ick factor when looks like they are doing anything remotely intimate.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

I saw the most recent teaser in front of MMPR and the visuals still look amazing, and so far I've liked every Besson movie except for The Family. As for the leads, I haven't seen much that either has been in, but DeHaan seems solid enough. I actually just watched Chronicle again and he was great in that.

The only thing I've seen Delevigne in is Suicide Squad and all I can picture is that weird spazzy gyrating she did.

I think it has been mentioned before, but DeHaan and Delevigne look way too much like brother and sister, it puts a kind of ick factor when looks like they are doing anything remotely intimate.

Kinda like Titanic leads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Cara Delevingne is ugly??

Jesus....

Hot take: Sometimes I'll see a picture of her full-body and be mesmerized, but mostly I don't find her that attractive in normal situations. I don't like her eyebrows

9 minutes ago, franfar said:

Hot take: Sometimes I'll see a picture of her full-body and be mesmerized, but mostly I don't find her that attractive in normal situations. I don't like her eyebrows

She's grown on me since Suicide Squad to be honest. Not super gorgeous or anything but I think she's very beautiful yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

She's grown on me since Suicide Squad to be honest. Not super gorgeous or anything but I think she's very beautiful yes.

I'm only basing my opinion on pictures. I haven't seen any of her movies