Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Just now, Telemachos said:

I say this with all humility, man. Just get clear of the thread. Don't follow RT. Don't watch more clips. Pass the time in other, fun ways. You're already excited about it. No need to constantly push for it or stan for it here. You're not gonna convince people and you'll just cause yourself frustration or strife.

I CAN'T HELP MYSELF TELE.  IT'S VALERIAN.  I HAVE TO STAN FOR IT GODDAMN IT.  I NEED TO KNOW THAT IT DOES WELL.

(I'm already barring myself from watching clips of this movie btw so I already did take your advice in some way :ph34r:)

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I CAN'T HELP MYSELF TELE.  IT'S VALERIAN.  I HAVE TO STAN FOR IT GODDAMN IT.  I NEED TO KNOW THAT IT DOES WELL.

(I'm already barring myself from watching clips of this movie btw so I already did take your advice in some way :ph34r:)

The harder you stan, the less well it will do.

Your move.

:ph34r: 

• Like 3

It seems that FIVE PLUS Shay-viewings are imminent - for the visuals alone, of course.

I can only hope though that the movie is not too dumb, so that I could look at the pretty colours in relative peace. (NOT a fan of 5th Element. Pretty stupid movie.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

DeHaan has a mischievous persona. Don't find him very likable.

Leo could come off as very trusting. That made him affable even in dick roles like WoWS.

Hide contents

:qotd:

Basically what you're saying is that Leonardo DiCaprio is a leading man type of actor while Dane DeHaan is a villain/anti-hero at best type of actor.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

33 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The harder you stan, the less well it will do.

Your move.

Just look at @aabattery, man. He pushed Wilderpeople hard and it didn't even make the top 25.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Okay then.  I will PASSIVELY stan for it until July 20, at around 5:00 PM when I see the movie :).

Go camping until July. No imternet. Just live in a long cabin with no cell phone service, no electricity, no cell phone service until July 20. Live like @Telemachos did when he was adult. 

• Like 3

Hmm...

I find Cara incredibly charming. What can I say? She has a star quality to her, even if she's not the strongest actress. Sort of like Gal Gadot.

I also found DeHaan to be great in Chronicle and The Place Beyond The Pines.

Excited for their futures.

• Like 4

• Community Manager
19 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Just look at @aabattery, man. He pushed Wilderpeople hard and it didn't even make the top 25.

I still haven't actually seen it because I feel like I've gotten the whole movie via GIFs on these forums.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Kind of goes without saying but it's very silly to try invalidate a critic by pulling up their old reviews to find things you disagree with. The whole nature of film criticism is that it is subjective, so you're bound to disagree with people every now and then. Doesn't mean their opinion has no merit.

It can mean it has no merit for a specific reader.  There is a whole category of RT critics I toss out, and a few I read, whether I agree with them or not, because I feel like they don't have an agenda for one film or another, they give their honest opinion.  That those opinions tend to be well reasoned and measured rather than glib and shallow is why I pick the critics I read.

32 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Basically what you're saying is that Leonardo DiCaprio is a leading man type of actor while Dane DeHaan is a villain/anti-hero at best type of actor.

Exactly that.

He was nicely cast in ASM2 and once he mutates into GG after taking the shot, he seemed apt for the role (though I wish he had toned down the constant grinning throughout the movie).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Eevin said:

27 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I still haven't actually seen it because I feel like I've gotten the whole movie via GIFs on these forums.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UNDERDOG said:

Hmm...

I find Cara incredibly charming. What can I say? She has a star quality to her, even if she's not the strongest actress. Sort of like Gal Gadot.

I also found DeHaan to be great in Chronicle and The Place Beyond The Pines.

Excited for their futures.

I like Cara more than most seem to on here and thought she was fine in the roles that I've seen her in but I haven't seen the sort of star potential in her that I do in Gal Gadot. At least not yet.

I agree that Dane DeHaan was excellent in both of those films. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Cara more than most seem to on here and thought she was fine in the roles that I've seen her in but I haven't seen the sort of star potential in her that I do in Gal Gadot. At least not yet.

I agree that Dane DeHaan was excellent in both of those films. 

I have my reservation on Cara (I didn't like her in SS at all), ... will go into the movie with an open mind and will see what happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

David Poland has a basically-spoiler-free review up. (spoiler: he liked it)

http://moviecitynews.com/2017/07/review-valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets-spoiler-free/

Does the movie starts with Besson signature opening shot ?

:)

Edited by The Futurist