Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Just now, GrimFandango said:

Maybe this has been answered already and I missed it--will this be shown in IMAX 3D?  Since Dunkirk is coming out the same weekend and is guaranteed IMAX space, I'm assuming they'll be competing for IMAX screens? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Nope, Valerian lost IMAX when Dunkirk was announced. It's possible it could get them in August if it's still doing well.

Just now, GrimFandango said:

Maybe this has been answered already and I missed it--will this be shown in IMAX 3D?  Since Dunkirk is coming out the same weekend and is guaranteed IMAX space, I'm assuming they'll be competing for IMAX screens? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Sadly not.  It's PLF-exclusive (Dolby Cinema, RPX, stuff like that).

Euro-trash is back, while sci-fi will need to lick its wounds for a while. 

And the Hollywood studio chiefs can breathe easy that, this time, at least, they'll escape blame for making a giant summer franchise picture that nobody wants to see, since this one's a French import.

Luc Besson's $200-million eyesore will barely trigger a momentary blip on the American box-office radar screen, leaving Besson with the lone hope that there are parts of the world where the entertainment tastes remain, ahem, less discriminating.

Any old hack Hollywood screenwriter could have rewritten the “romantic” interchanges here to infinitely better effect in one night's bourbon-fueled effort.

I believe that McCarthy hated the film, and all of his general criticisms could be, for all I know, 100% spot on. I would defend his right as a critic to hate the film all he wants. But the language he uses is problematic, in my opinion. He sure makes it a mission to denigrate non-Hollywood / Europe / "other parts of the world" in his review, especially in those latter quotes. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

With a 6.2 avg and one of the Freshes is a 2.5/5 review  :ph34r:

Regardless, this is the pull quote they should have in all the TV spots

Valerian is like getting slapped in the ass with a bedazzled lawn gnome. It’s either your thing or it isn’t, but you will remember it forever  - BirthMoviesDeath

That's actually a pretty good review. :lol: 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

But Jupiter Ascending was decent

it was one of the worst things i've ever seen(is that considered Murican hyperbole to BOF now?)

i don't have it out for Wachowskis either, i liked Cloud Atlas

poor Wachowskis though, The Matrix and Cloud Atlas and nothing else of note

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

it was one of the worst things i've ever seen(is that considered Murican hyperbole to BOF now?)

Bound is pretty good.

Luc Besson returns with a space oddity so high on its own supply that it makes Guardians of the Galaxy look like an Ozu film.

Hahahahaha, GREAT! :)

GOTG2 was a real disappointment of missed opportunities this summer - so hopefully Valerian will more than compensate for that!

Edited by shayhiri

38 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

With a 6.2 avg and one of the Freshes is a 2.5/5 review  :ph34r:

Regardless, this is the pull quote they should have in all the TV spots

Valerian is like getting slapped in the ass with a bedazzled lawn gnome. It’s either your thing or it isn’t, but you will remember it forever  - BirthMoviesDeath

I just love that quote...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Image result for jupiter ascending gif

This exempts it from being the worst

• Like 2

RT Critical consensus:. 

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets uses sheer kinetic energy and visual thrills to overcome narrative obstacles and offer a viewing experience whose surreal pleasures often outweigh its flaws.”

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

RT Critical consensus:. 

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets uses sheer kinetic energy and visual thrills to overcome narrative obstacles and offer a viewing experience whose surreal pleasures often outweigh its flaws.”

Dang, already a consensus after 24 reviews ? isn't that a little too early.

• Like 1