Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

With Alien Covenant moving out of early August, Valerian should grab the early August release date (the GOTG one). It would make it further away from Dunkirk because I don't think it's a good idea to go toe to toe with Nolan. Was also pretty successfull for GOTG which could be seen as one of the most similar recent films.

9 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Just watched the trailer for this and it looks awful. Really bad SFX. Characters look like Jar Jar Binks and other Lucas prequel CGI characters. 

So they look photorealistic and amazing? No, they don't. The movie looks hokey and just bad I agree but the effects in the prequels are top notch so let's leave them out of this godawful looking pile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You're right, many blockbusters have bad special effects. There are some like the Apes series that do a much better job. 

Thank god, you didn't say star wars because frankly there is nothing new or breathtaking as far as visual effects go. Those movies minus the godawful assshit Buffalo poop prequels are sheer entertainers with good storylines and fun action scenes.

12 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Just watched the trailer for this and it looks awful. Really bad SFX. Characters look like Jar Jar Binks and other Lucas prequel CGI characters. 

Good thing they're working on it till March.

Anyway, new trailer (second teaser I believe, not a full/main trailer) sometime this month. Besson said in an interview somewhere when the first trailer came out (can't find the link) he wants all the trailers to have completely different footage, not a single shot repeated. Smart move from him tbh.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Good thing they're working on it till March.

Anyway, new trailer (second teaser I believe, not a full/main trailer) sometime this month. Besson said in an interview somewhere when the first trailer came out (can't find the link) he wants all the trailers to have completely different footage, not a single shot repeated. Smart move from him tbh.

Awesome, I've watched the first trailer dozens of times already! I can't wait to be transported to another world again.

• Like 2

The acting in the trailer is pretty stilted and unconvincing, but then I doubt anyone's expecting an Oscar-winning performance from Cara Delevingne, of all people. 

Still, the film looks like a trippy visual fantasy, so I can see there being a market for this domestically. Something like 50/150 wouldn't surprise me. 

Edited by Eevin

Perception is everything, I guess.  I'm a critical student and scholar of film history and blockbuster culture, and from my perspective, there's nothing in this trailer that stands out as "bad" special effects or makeup.  It's all high quality stuff...albeit employed to a particular aesthetic.  This film looks just as loopy and fun, if not more-so, as The Fifth Element.  Luc Besson has a particular style (in his sci-fi stuff, at least) that may not appeal to everyone, but has been hugely successful for him over the past few decades.  It's pretty original, and yes...very French.  If some of you can't enjoy that, I feel sorry for you. :P

And yes...I love LUCY, as well.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Perception is everything, I guess.  I'm a critical student and scholar of film history and blockbuster culture, and from my perspective, there's nothing in this trailer that stands out as "bad" special effects or makeup.  It's all high quality stuff...albeit employed to a particular aesthetic.  This film looks just as loopy and fun, if not more-so, as The Fifth Element.  Luc Besson has a particular style (in his sci-fi stuff, at least) that may not appeal to everyone, but has been hugely successful for him over the past few decades.  It's pretty original, and yes...very French.  If some of you can't enjoy that, I feel sorry for you. :P

And yes...I love LUCY, as well.

EXACTLY. It's very French and serves a very specific aesthetic. And Lucy is one of Besson's best movies and one of the smartest pop entertainments of the past few years.

• Like 5