Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Liked it a lot. I need to see it again to cement my opinion. Right now it's B+ to A-, leaning toward A-.

I actually would give the movie on its own grounds around the same grade, but I just can't overlook all the glaring similarities to SM1 and the "been there done that" feel in general and for that I have to knock it down to a B- or so.maybe even lower. I did love the casting in particular though.

I haven't seen iJack on here since the number came out. Maybe he's in court.

Ijack's been banned for a week or so.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

It doesn't surpass SM1 to me, but the deck was stacked against it mainly due to nostalgia. It may very well be a better quality film(Jury's still out on that), but there's no way that I will ever like it more.

I mentioned that there were plenty of people who said it would increase today or slightly decrease, here is some of them:RTX mentioned that it would do 20-25 today,Lab said nothing to suggest it would drop that low, should stay above 30 pg 135Fullbuster said RTX's predictions is totally preposterous: pg 135fake said: I'd expect it to stay flat without midnights.Lordmandeep: Early projection for the 6-day is around 150 million.fullbuster: My prediction of 170M will be close With that $300M would be a lock :)Gopher said 28 millI won't even say what Ijack said, no point.Even I said it would fall only 5% from the number without midnight.So this is a much bigger drop that any of us thought it would be, except RTX...give him some credit.

I'll add that I projected 25m for the 4th on Tuesday as well, which was still nearly 3m too high but much closer than nearly anyone save RTX though. Edited by MovieMan89

Sony Executive #1: We need to make a splashSony Executive #2: Yes, but how?#1: I got it. We will give ourselves the tuesday record!#2: But how? How can we inflate our books?#1: We will take some money from tomorrow's gross. We will certainly make more than $2.5M tomorrow. No one will ever know.#2: But what about the BO.com posters?#1: They are distracted with someone's under $200M prediction thread. And even if they do notice, who will people believe: Them or a MOVIE STUDIO? The choice is obvious.#2: I see now why Sony made you Executive #1.

:rofl:

I mentioned that there were plenty of people who said it would increase today or slightly decrease, here is some of them:RTX mentioned that it would do 20-25 today,Lab said nothing to suggest it would drop that low, should stay above 30 pg 135Fullbuster said RTX's predictions is totally preposterous: pg 135fake said: I'd expect it to stay flat without midnights.Lordmandeep: Early projection for the 6-day is around 150 million.fullbuster: My prediction of 170M will be close With that $300M would be a lock :)Gopher said 28 millI won't even say what Ijack said, no point.Even I said it would fall only 5% from the number without midnight.So this is a much bigger drop that any of us thought it would be, except RTX...give him some credit.

RTX, I have to congratulate you. Baumer is right. You nailed this one. You have every right to celebrate. Edited by Walt Disney

I've been right and wrong plenty of times. On the former, never ran around with the bullshit (and immature) crow non-sense. But I guess that's just me.

Crow was a popular thing at mojo, no different than calling someone a loonie. It's all in fun.
  • Like 1

It's hard to predict backroom dealings. Sony is just flat up to no good with this film. And since TMB has fallen off the face of the planet, they have no other films to "borrow" from. They are stuck with moving $$$ around. And they may have been expecting a larger increase on the 4th. So now the number looks even worse. It was July 4th, a 30+% decrease is ridiculously obvious. Even if you combine TF1's Mon and Tues together it only dropped like 16% on the 4th.
  • Like 1

I'll add that I projected 25m for the 4th on Tuesday as well, which was still nearly 3m too high but much closer than nearly anyone save RTX though.

I predicted $23m for the 4th. :P

We can just ignore that I went and predicted $30m when the OD number was known, right??

• Like 1

Wait... how much fucking money has this movie actually made now?Changed lied about SM3's midnight number and now they are screwing around with the OD and Wednesday grosses. This is getting kind of sad.

• Founder / Operator

It regards to the drops compared to 2007, it's possible that year was just flat out anomalous. I know that's a bit of a cop out, but there's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason behind it now, lol.

However, if you look at 2011 and 2006 (where the 4th fell on Monday and Tuesday, respectively), drops were far higher than normal the next day. So it's possible today may still conform to '07, but hopefully the BO will hold better.

I respectfully disagree on one point though: Transformers behaved like it did because of a combination of two things: excellent word of mouth and no hardcore fan base to front-load the opening day in comparison to its next days. TASM has seemingly decent WOM so far, but it also has a much larger "rush out" fan base.

If we see it stabilize from here (which I think we will starting tomorrow), I think that would add further evidence to my above theory on the significant drop for TASM. It would generally indicate that the fan base ended up being the ones more excited about it after all.

• Like 2