Shawn Robbins

NIKKI-ISMS | Nikki signs first look deal with HBO | Nikki and Penske make up, she will return to reporting on the entertainment industry

Owner of the company that bought DL. 

OKay that's what I thought. I guess I should have asked who is Fleming? But I went back and re-read the update to the Wrap article and it mentions Penske emailed them and said the story was not true.

OKay that's what I thought. I guess I should have asked who is Fleming? But I went back and re-read the update to the Wrap article and it mentions Penske emailed them and said the story was not true.

He also declined to comment when they asked if Nikki was leaving. Sounds like he is giving her the old "vote of confidence" right before kicking her out the door.

Fleming is a reporter for Deadline. He wouldn't necessarily know if she'd be fired or not, since they're both his superiors. Like I said, we need to see what actually happens to parse this out. I suspect she won't be "fired" but will shortly announce she's leaving (of her own accord) for another venture. Or perhaps her contract will be paid out a year early. The fact that Penske refused to comment whether she was leaving is significant, IMO.
  • Like 4

So the Wrap is lying? LOL http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/a-personal-note-on-nikki-finke-from-mike-fleming/ Dear PMC Team,As you may be aware, Sharon Waxman at TheWrap has just run a libelous, false, and defamatory story on her blog, in which she claims amongst other things that I had fired Nikki Finke.This is a complete fabrication, with not an ounce of truth to it. Just to be clear, Nikki Finke has a multi-year contract with the Company, and it is the Company’s absolute intention to continue its obligations under the agreement.It is sad when a rival business feels the need to fabricate stories to create traffic and notoriety. Due to the defamatory and disparaging nature of some of the completely inaccurate statements made by Waxman, PMC has turned this matter over to our attorneys. Contact me with any questions.Sincerely,Lauren GullionHead of CommunicationsPMC

This makes it seem like she won't be going anywhere. Edited by lab276

Fleming is a reporter for Deadline. He wouldn't necessarily know if she'd be fired or not, since they're both his superiors.Like I said, we need to see what actually happens to parse this out. I suspect she won't be "fired" but will shortly announce she's leaving (of her own accord) for another venture. Or perhaps her contract will be paid out a year early. The fact that Penske refused to comment whether she was leaving is significant, IMO.

Great thanks! Okay so Fleming ( a reporter) put the note on Deadline. Yeah we'll see what happens. I'm surprised the Queen herself hasn't commented.

The LA Times weighs in via its "Company Town" blog:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-nikki-finke-future-deadline-hollywood-20130602,0,5688007.story

Of particular interest:

According to people close to Finke, her PMC contract has a window, opening this month, that allows her to leave Deadline. It is no secret around Hollywood that Finke has been unhappy with Penske since PMC bought rival trade publication Variety. Finke was hoping to play a role in running Variety for PMC, but none has materialized.

Also another update on The Wrap

SECOND UPDATE: The most recent clash between Penske and Finke involved an email that Finke sent to two partners at UTA in the wake of losing a scoop, according to an individual with knowledge of the exchange. The scoop in question was a story in TheWrap about the talent agency seeking an equity investor

In an email to, among others, CEO Jeremy Zimmer, Finke threatened to "f---" the agency, according to the individual. The email was sent to Penske.