A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

Just now, filmlover said:

When they're this close to release (the same day early showings will start), yeah, they do.

That inherently does not make logical sense. A review embargo does not directly affect the quality of a film. All it does is manage the release of reviews. 

1 minute ago, RedX said:

That inherently does not make logical sense. A review embargo does not directly affect the quality of a film. All it does is manage the release of reviews. 

The review embargos are usually designed to allow when what the critics think of the movie to be revealed. When the studio decides "not until the movie is a day away from opening" it always spells doom, except on very rare occasions (like The Shallows).

• Like 1

99% of embargoes that late are not a good sign for a movie critically.   Personally the trailers have done little for me but if you are looking forward to it, then don't let anything sway you from thinking differently.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The review embargos are usually designed to allow when what the critics think of the movie to be revealed. When the studio decides "not until the movie is a day away from opening" it always spells doom, except on very rare occasions (like The Shallows).

That's right, The Shallows had a late one and Mad Max (three days?). It's definitely not a favorable sign, but it does not explicitly indicate the quality of a movie or else we wouldn't have those aforementioned critical darlings. 

2 minutes ago, RedX said:

That's right, The Shallows had a late one and Mad Max (three days?). It's definitely not a favorable sign, but it does not explicitly indicate the quality of a movie or else we wouldn't have those aforementioned critical darlings. 

Mad Max's embargo was due to the premiere at Cannes I believe.

21 hours ago, Elessar said:

Can somebody explain moriarty's tweet to me? What was that about the top 10?

Sorry, meant to say DrewMcWeeny (Moriarty used to be his moniker).

This tweet:

On 6.12.2016 at 2:18 AM, Gavin Feng said:

He voted for it (for what?) despite not having seen it? I feel stupid but i don't understand....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elessar said:

This tweet:

He voted for it (for what?) despite not having seen it? I feel stupid but i don't understand....

He's either joking or has a good hunch 

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

This tweet:

So, that is the sarcasm for Assassin’s Creed, right?

Don't think Drew is being sarcastic here. He's a member of the LAFCA critics group (who voted for this year a couple of days ago), and he voted for it apparently without having seen it yup (just like some awards ceremonies do sometimes for some movies, on pure assumption). If he's serious, it means he's probably heard good things about it. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2016 at 10:54 AM, TimmyRiggins said:

Don't think Drew is being sarcastic here. He's a member of the LAFCA critics group (who voted for this year a couple of days ago), and he voted for it apparently without having seen it yup (just like some awards ceremonies do sometimes for some movies, on pure assumption). If he's serious, it means he's probably heard good things about it. 

lmaooooooo

if you need help he posted his entire ballot in his new online magazine thing and guess which movie isn't on it...

• Like 3