A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

How am I different? My "bias" doesn't work against the movie, condemning it from the get go. The last trailer is quite strong, the cinematography looks fantastic, I think everyone can agree on that, the action looks very well put together, production design, visuals, etc, all looks good. If it falters, it'll be on the script side, and story is just everything, film could still end up solid enough, but a bit undercooked, that happens. 

Weren't you the one who said that the flopping of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk was a huge conspiracy against Ang Lee? :lol:

• Like 2

So...I actually liked it. It's not perfect/outstanding, no, but it's fairly solid - and yes, I want more! 

The good stuff - the action (and the past sequences overall - the Spanish is a great touch) is/are fantastic, really exhilarating and edge-of-your seat stuff, I cannot praise it enough. Super nicely complemented by Arkapaw's dreamy visuals. And then the main cast - Fassbender, Irons, Cotillard and Rampling used very well and they do really great stuff, Irons and Cotillard especially - their interactions are some of the best parts of the film. 

The problems - the other supporting characters (Michael K Williams and his merry band) are terribly introduced, leading to a wtf when they come into play... And why do so many films this year have butchered down first acts, it really stuck out to me how rushed the intro to Abstergo was, so rushed in fact they just have Marion a whole bunch of exposition to spout as soon as Cal woke up (was that on purpose to make us feel like Cal?). Extra 20 mins or so in the first half would even things out a lot.  Thankfully once the film gets going it settles rather well pace wise.

In any case, I really want to see more. They introduced the lore well and essentially what it boils down to - it may not be everyone's cup of tea like with the games but I like all of this and can't wait to see more of these lore elements hit the big screen. And with these intros out of the way - once people make sense of how things work here - I think sequels can do great things with all this. If they happen - which I hope they will.

3.5/5

Edit: forgot to mention Ariane Labed as past-Fassbender's mentor in the Spanish sequences. She's so awesome in this.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

How am I different? My "bias" doesn't work against the movie, condemning it from the get go. The last trailer is quite strong, the cinematography looks fantastic, I think everyone can agree on that, the action looks very well put together, production design, visuals, etc, all looks good. If it falters, it'll be on the script side, and story is just everything, film could still end up solid enough, but a bit undercooked, that happens. 

Except your biases for the film makes assumptions about it that aren't necessarily true either.  The cinematography was not that good.  Action was not that well put together, and the production design is nothing special.  Visually the film looked dreary, foggy and hazy.  Everything set in the 15th century is covered in this ugly glare that's present through all the scenes.

The script is awful.  The performances are also all awful. 

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AJG said:

It truly is fucking sad that Angry Birds remains the best video game movie ever made. Then again I didn't expect anything from this.

Angry Birds wasn't even that good.  I'd still say the original Mortal Kombat.