CJohn

Star Trek 2 OS thread

so in Australia did it open higher than Trek 1?

In USD it opened considerably higher (which is what I guess matters), but in AUD it opened ~10% higher (which 3D can be thanked for).It will only beat the USD total, unless legs are good, which I can't see happening.

TREK has never been a big draw. I don't think you can call this opening bad or blame Paramount's marketing at all. It is what it is.

it shows that no matter how appealing they make it look, people overseas won't go to a Trek film. It is kind of ridiculous

TREK has never been a big draw. I don't think you can call this opening bad or blame Paramount's marketing at all. It is what it is.

SH's weren't at one time and were considered as geeky as Star Trek but look now. 

It has nothing to do with geekiness. Trek as a brand (in terms of feature films, at least) has never been popular.

True but with expanding markets, 4 years of inflation + 3D, this performance is pretty poor unfortunately. 

Star Trek is popular but mostly due to the TV shows, the films were successful but mostly in the US, they did start to decline from Insurrection onwards. The 2009 film to me felt like a film rather than just an extended TV episode, the Star Trek films prior to that were given moderate budgets.

And super heroes have had their own issues (though I don't think they generally were as bad as Trek), but there have ben many, many, many superhero films to help change that.  In the last ten years it's only been Trek 09, and the current Into Darkness.

Thats a rather daunting task to place just on the strength of one full release.

My upper celling for this film (with nothing extraordinary happening) was 650 million.  350 for the US,  and 300 overseas.

But what I honestly thought would occur (and how I predicted was 550 million.  300 for domestic, and 250 for overseas.

I think doubling it's previous gross isn't out of the question.  But that's what I want to occur, it certainly wouldn't surprise me to be lower in either.

And super heroes have had their own issues (though I don't think they generally were as bad as Trek), but there have ben many, many, many superhero films to help change that.  In the last ten years it's only been Trek 09, and the current Into Darkness. Thats a rather daunting task to place just on the strength of one full release. My upper celling for this film (with nothing extraordinary happening) was 650 million.  350 for the US,  and 300 overseas. But what I honestly thought would occur (and how I predicted was 550 million.  300 for domestic, and 250 for overseas. I think doubling it's previous gross isn't out of the question.  But that's what I want to occur, it certainly wouldn't surprise me to be lower in either.

After the cancellation of Enterprise and the failure of Nemesis, Star Trek was pretty much dead before the 2009 film came out, there was option of another TV series but Paramount pushed for a reboot. Weirdly because of the Viacom split, the television rights are now with CBS and the films with Paramount but I think for now. It'll just be films but I wouldn't rule out another TV series in the future.

True but with expanding markets, 4 years of inflation + 3D, this performance is pretty poor unfortunately. 

First what expanding markets as this hit?  As far as inflation, god only knows as for each nation it can be widely different.  Inflation true (to what extent depends on each place, and of course price of 3D, and the % of its use in each nation is also a big factor.

Star Trek is popular but mostly due to the TV shows, the films were successful but mostly in the US, they did start to decline from Insurrection onwards. The 2009 film to me felt like a film rather than just an extended TV episode, the Star Trek films prior to that were given moderate budgets.

Really teh biggest factor in films US performance is when both films and new original tv shows.

Star Trek 1 - 4 all aired when there was no free original trek on tv.  And those four had a US (still performed equally poorly overseas) ranked each year between 2nd and 9th.

Trek 5 - Nemesis all aired when 1 or two other Trek shows were airing new episodes.  Certainly over saturation of one franchise didn't help.

Of course Insurrection really hits not only after the TV shows started dropping, but also had a huge drop from the previous film, without being an utter wreck of a film (though it isn't a good film, really feels like a two hour average episode of The Next Generation.

I think , not only the change towards action and newer style certainly played a big change in Trek 2009 doing so well, but I also think the absence of new free Trek on TV certainly also helped.

ST09 already took advantage of many emerging markets. Look at its performance compared to other "recent" Trek movies. Basically, the Trek feature brand is not popular OS and it's going to take a whole series of films to expand it significantly.

Did it really though.  Trek 2009 was an event, and that's been a hard feat to happen with the various Trek shows airing for free throughout the world.  Insurrection and NEmesis were already showing massive drops, each scoring dramatically worse then the previous film.  But percentage wise its overseas audience stays rather close.  Typically a third of a trek's income is from overseas (really only Khan and Search for Spock did worse). 

The last successful Trek film (and one that was really the last to feel anything special, was First COntact. 

It's overseas numbers would put it close to 100 million, and did it when there were two other tv shows producing new Trek episodes.

Seriously think what would First Contact have done.  If there was no DS9 or Voyager out, and that it had the last year with no new Trek.  I think it would have easily done much larger numbers in the US, and I could see it doing also a bit better overseas.

In fact I think there is a good shot that the Motionless Picture actually had a bigger market then what Trek 2009 had (heck it just barely did better then the Motionless picture domestically, and Voyage HOme wasn't terrible far behind that).

Did we ever get any numbers for New Zealand or Singapore?

That number for Mexico is nearly the full run of 2009 Trek (3.416 million), have know idea what it opened to.

I would be very curious to see market by market changes, especially in areas that have had massive growth or have historically no interest in Trek.

It is an embarrassment that nowadays most $200M blockbuster sequels can easily do 500M+/600M+/700M+ OS while Star Trek still being stuck in the 200m~300m range.

It is also a failure of Paramount's weak international distribution ability.

Paramount is a dreadful distributor. Marvel's films have rocketed into the box office stratosphere now that they're out from under Paramount's inept thumb. The same may be true for Dreamworks Animation. With Disney distributing them, Marvel's Phase Two films ought to see very good increases over their predecessors. Perhaps Thor & Captain America won't do IM3 numbers but they also won't do as poorly as the first films did because they will have great marketing this go-round. 

• Like 1