CJohn

Star Trek 2 OS thread

This is what I was trying to say early.

what made comic book movies not geeky. why is Star Trek consider geeky still? 

Very simple.  There have been a host of new Super Hero films.  From Spiderman, Batman, X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, ect, ect, ect.  Each success with a local audience would chip away at any regional stigma.

Trek has had one film, four years ago to really attempt to reach a larger scale overseas audience.  Thats only one film to fight any stigma the brand Star Trek has.

• Like 1

The last successful Trek film (and one that was really the last to feel anything special, was First COntact. It's overseas numbers would put it close to 100 million, and did it when there were two other tv shows producing new Trek episodes. Seriously think what would First Contact have done.  If there was no DS9 or Voyager out, and that it had the last year with no new Trek.  I think it would have easily done much larger numbers in the US, and I could see it doing also a bit better overseas.

First Contact was the best of the NG films and did very well, it did $92m in the US alone, doubling its budget and $146m WW it does make me wonder how successful a rebooted TNG film would do given TNG is the best known Star Trek series after the original.

Paramount is a dreadful distributor. Marvel's films have rocketed into the box office stratosphere now that they're out from under Paramount's inept thumb. The same may be true for Dreamworks Animation. With Disney distributing them, Marvel's Phase Two films ought to see very good increases over their predecessors. Perhaps Thor & Captain America won't do IM3 numbers but they also won't do as poorly as the first films did because they will have great marketing this go-round. 

Indeed:

HTTYD Paramount 277M

Croods FOX now heading to 400M

IM1 &IM2 Paramount around 300M

IM3 Disney now heading to 800M

Factly, Paramount had no 500M+ OS movie until 2010 with Shrek 4 and no 600+ one until 2011 with TF3. While Disney/WB/FOX have a bunch of 600M+ OS blockbusters.

• Like 2

I can't see a rebooted TNG doing that well, honestly. FC came out at the height of TNG popularity.

Actually it come out four years after the height of TNG popularity.  But again, how well could they have done if there was no other Trek around?  I know as a fan, I went more often to the Trek films that existed with no other new Trek.  With Trek on TV, I didn't feel the same sense of event (no matter the film or its subject matter) as compared to when the only Trek you could watch was a new film every two or three years.

Now of course I have no idea how Trek tv played in various overseas markets (if they did at all), but in the US, with 52 new episodes for 6 years, or 26 episodes for 11 others really saturated the US.  As a life time huge fan of Trek that diminished my desire to see new films.  

First Contact is my 2nd favorite film, and I easily saw Motion Less Picture, Search for Spock, Voyage Home many, many times more then I watched First Contact.  Khan of course I watched more, but I also think its the only Trek film that's better.  Trek 2009 was the same.

Oh on the Mexico font according to a Trek site, its a 300% increase from 2009.  Estimates of HK, based on sneak peaks this week is for it to probably match the entire run of 2009 in its first full weekend (1.5 million), but still will be a large percentage increase from 2009.  Now we just need to see some of those large increases in larger asian and larger latin nations.  That would be extremely helpful.  Not to mention very curious what China and Russia will do.  Not expecting much at al from China, but.  And Russia really hoping to see some serious growth.

• Like 1

Oh on the Mexico font according to a Trek site, its a 300% increase from 2009.  Estimates of HK, based on sneak peaks this week is for it to probably match the entire run of 2009 in its first full weekend (1.5 million), but still will be a large percentage increase from 2009.  Now we just need to see some of those large increases in larger asian and larger latin nations.  That would be extremely helpful.  Not to mention very curious what China and Russia will do.  Not expecting much at al from China, but.  And Russia really hoping to see some serious growth.

Given 2~300 increases from all these territories, it would do around 150M from these parts. Plus 70% from Trek-friendly nations, that would be 286M OS in total.

What we're not also factoring in is better legs too. STiD will probably have more staying power than the first.

It's a sequel with lots of competition coming up, it will have worse legs.

• Like 1

Star Trek 2 in Asian markets last weekend are all sneak peeks. Star Trek 2 takes off this weekend for all Asian territories.

weekend top territories

UK, Germany,Australia, Mexico, NZ, Austria then Malasia singapore

So Malaysia and Singapore had amazing sneak previews, I'm guessing?

Star Trek 2 in Asian markets last weekend are all sneak peeks. Star Trek 2 takes off this weekend for all Asian territories.

So Malaysia and Singapore had amazing sneak previews, I'm guessing?

"Sneak peeks" could mean anything from a couple of showings to basically a full release.

"Sneak peeks" could mean anything from a couple of showings to basically a full release.

I know that which is why I'm wondering how big Malaysia and Singapore's sneak previews were. Of all the Asian markets I saw, Star Trek 2 began showing on Friday.

Here in Indonesia it opens tomorrow (Wednesday). It had sneak previews too though, but only midnight shows on Saturday. ST09 barely crossed $1m, so STID is gonna be much much bigger, at least 4 times what ST09 made, maybe 5 times. And considering how low the first movie's grosses were (in some countries where TF2 made $6m+, ST09 even failed to reach $1m), I think we'll see big increases from other Asian countries too.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2

Here in Indonesia it opens tomorrow (Wednesday). It had sneak previews too though, but only midnight shows on Saturday. ST09 barely crossed $1m, so STID is gonna be much much bigger, at least 4 times what ST09 made, maybe 5 times. And considering how low the first movie's grosses were (in some countries where TF2 made $6m+, ST09 even failed to reach $1m), I think we'll see big increases from other Asian countries too.

Awesome, thanks for the update from Indonesia. I never understood why the common theme here was Asian markets wouldn't make more then the first.