CJohn

Kung Fu Panda 3 | 1/29/2016 | New Trailer on Page 26!

Well, remember DreamWorks' declaration that they had made a mistake marketing to older kids/teens, and blaming their failures on that? Remember how they said they were reorienting towards young kids and their moms? This looks to fit the new marketing direction.

IMO, better that they dumb down the marketing, than dumb down the movie itself (which, judging by what I know of the Chinese marketing, they apparently haven't done).

Where can I find some of this Chinese marketing?

• Like 1

True....

But there are stupid people who assume that KFP3 would fail....not very wise for them.

DW really needs a hit with KFP3. And it better make enough money to be considered a huge hit. Otherwise more stupid layoffs and money loss.

lol you're a riot.

People who assume it will fail are now "stupid". Great job genius. 

Maybe it's not assumption but analysis, something many people on this site fail to do. They much prefer to put in zero thought and "30/95" barely a line predictions. 

That stupid picture of Po, to me, looks exactly like the ones they've used for this franchise before. Whether it is or is not, it is irrelevant, but it makes me want to see it less.

For a movie whose sequel cratered and where one of the points of discussion was "looked too similar to predecessor" I would think that people like you would rather they did something different to try and win back the audience and not repeat the same mistakes. As it stands, they will alienate more people if they repeat what their ineffective tactic. Didn't see anyone clamouring for Penguins of Madagascar and that made less than Minions opening weekend, heck KFP2 didn't exactly make a lot more than Minions OW either or do none of you know that KFP2 dropped from KFP? 

Maybe there is an argument that people don't watch epic animation, if true, it would be sad and disgusting, but if they just try and market it like how all studios seem to have to market animation to Americans these days (dumb humour) at least be more inventive than that. 

It looks like a DTV sequel. Just an all round terrible poster. From the unfunny tagline, the strikingly similar pose, the already DTV family plotline and even the way the whole thing is framed. 

• Like 2

I'm fat and I find this offensive

All Pandas are "fat". I'm fat and I do not find it offensive at all. Those who want everyone to pretend there is no such thing as being fat have a problem with being fat. I don't have a problem at all with my weight. I've had weight problems my whole life. It's a part of my personality. It's just who I am and I could not care less if someone calls me fat because it's true. I have more of a problem with fat people who shame skinny people(it happens, I've seen it) in some bitter misguided quest for revenge than a comedy featuring a fat person. In fact, I'm really beginning to hate the word "shaming", it's hurting more than it's helping. All this is doing is making people more sensitive and by direct effect causing more conflict. It's like everyone has a chip on their shoulder these days just waiting for someone to say or do the wrong thing. When all we have to do is lighten up and life would be so much easier for everyone.

/rant

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 3

lol you're a riot.

People who assume it will fail are now "stupid". Great job genius.

Maybe it's not assumption but analysis, something many people on this site fail to do. They much prefer to put in zero thought and "30/95" barely a line predictions.

That stupid picture of Po, to me, looks exactly like the ones they've used for this franchise before. Whether it is or is not, it is irrelevant, but it makes me want to see it less.

For a movie whose sequel cratered and where one of the points of discussion was "looked too similar to predecessor" I would think that people like you would rather they did something different to try and win back the audience and not repeat the same mistakes. As it stands, they will alienate more people if they repeat what their ineffective tactic. Didn't see anyone clamouring for Penguins of Madagascar and that made less than Minions opening weekend, heck KFP2 didn't exactly make a lot more than Minions OW either or do none of you know that KFP2 dropped from KFP?

Maybe there is an argument that people don't watch epic animation, if true, it would be sad and disgusting, but if they just try and market it like how all studios seem to have to market animation to Americans these days (dumb humour) at least be more inventive than that.

It looks like a DTV sequel. Just an all round terrible poster. From the unfunny tagline, the strikingly similar pose, the already DTV family plotline and even the way the whole thing is framed.

:ph34r:

Just wow! No confidence whatsoever. Just because it looks like DTV, doesn't mean it will be. The Nut Job 2 will look more like DTV...and nobody will care about that movie after seeing the first one. :P

Haven't you seen the trailers? They look like every other big-budgeted animated films with good effort and so much details. Which is a good thing.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

Well, remember DreamWorks' declaration that they had made a mistake marketing to older kids/teens, and blaming their failures on that? Remember how they said they were reorienting towards young kids and their moms? This looks to fit the new marketing direction.

Huh. That could explain a lot about the apparent shift from Penguins to Home.

America is not their target. Marketing will be minimal DOM. They will be happy with anything over 100M, IMO.

As TServo notes, it probably won't be minimal, just specifically targeted. If HTTYD2 and Penguins had broad campaigns that didn't budget the meter, while Home had a specific one that did work, they're going to go with the latter style.

Which really makes a lot of sense. For those of us who are in the know, so to speak, and fans of the series, it doesn't take a lot to get the word out. And such people are going to see it anyway, regardless of the marketing tactics. For anyone else, they mostly need to identify the segments of the GA that it's likely to appeal to and make sure they know about it.

Actually, I stand corrected, what DreamWorks said was that they believed they bet wrong targeting the FILMS at older audiences, not just marketing them, and that they are moving to "lighter, younger skewing and more comedic films."

Yes, that does seem to set off alarm bells that this teaser poster might actually reflect the tone of the film, but at the same time everyone keeps saying that the Chinese trailers AREN'T showing a completely goofy kids' film? So in this case, I could be right and it could just be that the marketing is going lighter?

Edited by TServo2049

The poster is pretty unappealing to older kids, teens and adults who are not fans of the series. Adults who like humour and younger kids with their parents might find this more appealing so maybe Dreamworks has made research and decided that is te demo they need to target. But I do not know, I guess this is fine if they do a more serious trailer and alternative poster that is not going to be the main one later, kind of like Disney did with Frozen and Big Hero 6.

I saw the first film and liked it not enough to see the second one when it seemed the same. The Chinise trailer is the only reason I am interested and planning to see the second film at least. So this marketing is not really appealing and I feel it hurts Dreamworks brand to make it seem like their films are just kiddie films with comedy for adults. But if they do have a trailer that makes the story more appealing I guess this marketing is fine.