Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

That would be kinda weird if they take out a critical scene and don't replace it with anything. It's weirder now since they pulled the trailer and no one will know about the movie which opens in a month and a half.

Shit. Listen, I get it, it's a sensitive issue and people don't want to see a movie theater getting shot up on film. But if it's going to affect you that much, and you know it's in the movie, then don't see it. I'm so sick of the spoon-fed culture we live in. If it is as pivotal of a scene as it appears to be then it shouldn't be cut.

• Like 3

I personally don't think the scene should be removed from the movie, Trailers Yes, but movie No. QT shot up Hitler and company in a theater for IB. There have been theater shootings before this but not on a mass scale like this. But I understand WB on this. It's sad but I think "Recall, Expendables and Bourne" could be affected, this whole thing just connects violence and movies and it shouldn't but it does. Remember after 9/11 they changed the Spiderman 1 trailer that used the Twin Towers. Sadly any violent movie in the wake of this may be effected before people can move on from the tradegy.

The reason I don't think TE2 will be affected is because of the target audience. I'm not saying males aged 18-50 are insensitive bastards, but it's not the first demographic that I would think is going to be overly worried about going to a movie theater on the August 17th weekend. I could be wrong, but I thnk they'll still show up.

The reason I don't think TE2 will be affected is because of the target audience. I'm not saying males aged 18-50 are insensitive bastards, but it's not the first demographic that I would think is going to be overly worried about going to a movie theater on the August 17th weekend. I could be wrong, but I thnk they'll still show up.

I agree. I finally watched TE1 last night, and anybody who was looking forward to the sequel should know what they're getting themselves into. This thing ain't aiming for families, that's for sure.

That would be kinda weird if they take out a critical scene and don't replace it with anything. It's weirder now since they pulled the trailer and no one will know about the movie which opens in a month and a half.

I'm sure they're cutting another trailer.

TE2 is fine. Notfabio said that the strongest audience for TDKR this weekend was college age and above. Family viewings seem to be hurt the most and TE2 isn't a family movie.But with Gangster Squad, WB is in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario. They will ger crucified if they leave the scene in but they have nothing to replace it with.

WB should rather delay the film til say april 2013 when the situation has cooled down

They will ruin the movie. The trailer was pulled, so the marketing is stopped right now.Delay the movie to February or something. I don't see why shouldn't they do that. Edited by CJohn

Shawn, I understand where you are coming from. However, the cat is out of the bag. Bloomberg had a banner on their network that said TDKR was going to open below $170-180m expectations. Well gee, I wonder what the're implying. The movie made $30m at midnight, which gave us a pretty decent idea of where it was headed (likely $180-185m).

From Bloomberg:

Ticket sales for Warner Bros.’ “The Dark Knight Rises” came in below projections made before a shooting at a premiere of the movie killed 12 people in Aurora, Colorado, according to an analyst.

The movie earned in the range of $155 million to $165 million, estimates Jeff Bock, an analyst for Exhibitor Relations Co. Before the violence at the Cinemark Holdings Inc. (CNK) theater, it was expected to generate $170 million to $198 million in its first three days, the estimates of researchers Fizziology and Boxoffice.com.

That would still place the film among the top five weekend openings ever, according to Box Office Mojo, an online publication tracking ticket sales. The first in the series, “The Dark Knight,” with $158.4 million in opening weekend sales, is ranked third after “Marvel’s The Avengers” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” the site says.

Some families may have made other plans after the shooting, “and the casual fan may have turned away as well,” Bock said. “Everybody’s very mindful of it.”

Warner Bros., owned by Time Warner Inc. (TWX), and other Hollywood studios aren’t reporting official sales figures, with some issuing statements citing sensitivity to the victims. Studios typically report figures for weekend sales every Sunday. Warner, based in Burbank, California, also has curbed promotion of the movie, one of the year’s most anticipated.