CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

Para Tu sounds Spanish to me. Boda does mean wedding in Spanish. Kampai is used for cheering in Japanese custom. Poka is either Finnish or Russian or some Japanese work-ethic concept. Gelato & bello are Italian in origin. So Minions are some ancient race that has adopted all cultures & languages of the world since the beginning of written history

If this is legitimate retconning (not sure if that language sheet corresponds with the 2 DM films), it's pretty brilliant. Just furthers my belief that there are some truly creative individuals working there that are bogged down in a money-driven enterprise.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone associate the word "pretentious" with US moviegoers in general.

Well, most of my favourite movies made profit or received sequels because OS audiences liked them. Pacific Rim is just one example. Cloud Atlas is another. TF, Ice Age, POTC, The Hobbit and most original SF movies these days. It's not like they didn't make money in the US (hell, it still was their biggest market in most cases), but I love these franchises and many others and if the entire world would follow the US trend the studios would stop making them.

• Like 1

Well, most of my favourite movies made profit or received sequels because OS audiences liked them. Pacific Rim is just one example. Cloud Atlas is another. TF, Ice Age, POTC, The Hobbit and most original SF movies these days. It's not like they didn't make money in the US (hell, it still was their biggest market in most cases), but I love these franchises and many others and if the entire world would follow the US trend the studios would stop making them.

Ugh... Sorry, I'm definitely not pretending when I say I do NOT need more Ice Age films. 

• Like 6

Para Tu sounds Spanish to me. Boda does mean wedding in Spanish. Kampai is used for cheering in Japanese custom. Poka is either Finnish or Russian or some Japanese work-ethic concept. Gelato & bello are Italian in origin. So Minions are some ancient race that has adopted all cultures & languages of the world since the beginning of written history

Quite True. The Minions use language from different language of different countries around the world. 

• Like 1

Quite True. The Minions use language from different language of different countries around the world. 

Very interesting....

Who knows, maybe it is the Minions who are shaping Gru's leadership and through him, shaping the world around them.... :o  :o

:o

Considering WW audiences seem to enjoy Illumination and Blue Sky animations much more than Pixar lately, yeah, I expect a good animation, just like the first two DM movies.

Except for Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, Hop, Epic, Rio, and Rio 2, for example.

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone associate the word "pretentious" with US moviegoers in general.

Well, for one thing they don't go for endless sequels and mindless animated comedies as much. I wouldn't call that pretentious, but the rest of the world, at least when lumped together as the OS market, isn't any more sophisticated and doesn't have better taste, in my opinion.

So Minions are some ancient race that has adopted all cultures & languages of the world since the beginning of written history

Sounds somewhat pretentious. ;) Also sounds kind of like what Disney did with the language of the Atlanteans in Atlantis: The Lost Empire, only less serious, of course.

Except for Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, Hop, Epic, Rio, and Rio 2, for example.

Well, for one thing they don't go for endless sequels and mindless animated comedies as much. I wouldn't call that pretentious, but the rest of the world, at least when lumped together as the OS market, isn't any more sophisticated and doesn't have better taste, in my opinion.

Sounds somewhat pretentious. ;) Also sounds kind of like what Disney did with the language of the Atlanteans in Atlantis: The Lost Empire, only less serious, of course.

Last time I checked both Rio and Rio 2 made around 500M WW with most of that coming from OS. They both did way more OS than Brave, which was the last original Pixar movie. So... yeah.

Last time I checked both Rio and Rio 2 made around 500M WW with most of that coming from OS. They both did way more OS than Brave,

You said WW. If you want to talk OS, then Monsters University grossed $475M OS just last year, which is nearly as much as each Rio movie's WW gross.

which was the last original Pixar movie. So... yeah.

Heh, if you want to count only original movies now, then your assertion would really have no leg to stand on (not that it ever did), so...no.

• Like 1

This is going to be a monster. The trailer provided laughs for kids and adults, which is the reason DM1 and DM2 has had so much success. Minion merchandise has invaded, especislly at Target and Walmart. Not having Gru wont hurt BO roo much, the Minions are factually and obviously the #1 draw in the DM movies.

Some people (who are irrelevant) may think this is an unnessesary cash grab, but Universal has a strategy and they nailed it on the head with this timing. People love the Minions so why not give the people what they love. $300M is looking good.

• Like 1

Illumination Entertainment has proven you can make a successful film under $100m although it'll be interesting if their non DM films can reach even half that, The Lorax was successful but that was based on a Dr Seuss book and flopped OS while Hop did okay but again didn't do great OS.

I wonder if Illumination will tackle a live action film that isn't a hybrid, its isn't solely an animation studio and I think they could do it.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Illumination Entertainment has proven you can make a successful film under $100m although it'll be interesting if their non DM films can reach even half that, The Lorax was successful but that was based on a Dr Seuss book and flopped OS while Hop did okay but again didn't do great OS.

I wonder if Illumination will tackle a live action film that isn't a hybrid, its isn't solely an animation studio and I think they could do it.

They have Pluto.

Just watched the trailer in a room with fellow college kids, per ones request, and we laughed our asses off. Everyones excited. The fact that the Minions have appealed to adults so well is amazing. This will be a good movie.

Even if we're tad faded, still a funny ass trailer.

• Like 3

For some reason, the trailer sort of clicked at my school and has become something people are starting to quote...

"CELA BA-NANA!!! HAHA!!! NUM-YUM!"

if it catches on, this movie could be more than huge.

but the timing though? if it starts now, by its release, will Miniolanguage still in fashion? 

but the timing though? if it starts now, by its release, will Miniolanguage still in fashion?

It's been popular for a while now, I'm sure it will hold on for another 8 months :)
  • Like 1

Minions are huge among kids. The Minion t-shirts and other assorted toys and apparel sell very well. In fact, this is the gift shop at Universal Studios

Minion-Mayhem.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Minion merchandise accounts for a large portion of their sales. Kids line up to take pictures with Minions.

• Like 1