CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

Just out of curiosity, would Matt Damon have retroactively become a spoiler for Interstellar, even though his initial casting was publicly announced?

That's a weird one because plenty of people on the forum knew about it since we follow movie news pretty closely, but in actual screenings it seemed to be a pretty big shock for the general audience.

• Like 1

That's a weird one because plenty of people on the forum knew about it since we follow movie news pretty closely, but in actual screenings it seemed to be a pretty big shock for the general audience.

Yup, even before Matt Damon was shown as Dr. Mann, I knew it would be him because I remembered his casting announcement and he hadn't appeared in the movie yet, but I could hear people go "Is that Matt Damon?" in the theater.

No, because like you said he was publically (well, let's clarify is this from the studio or just people online saying it?) announced. So it's fair.

A spoiler for example like this would have been the Lego movie, and people saying will Farrell was in it, cause he was never announced.

Live action, no, but he was always publically in it as a voice.

And yea I respect the 100% "no matter what" policy, but I'm curious for how many really care on this one haha

• Like 1

Watch Dissolve/AV Club types lose all will to live on Twitter when this outgrosses Inside Out.

Nah, it would be funnier to see: 

IO - $395 million

Minions - $390 million 

I actually think Minions won't affect IO's legs at all. If anything, sellouts should boost IO/JW. But those 3 will be 85-90% of the BO this weekend  :lol:

• Like 1

But the marketing budget has got to be one of the biggest ever right? I mean there's been soooo much shit.

No.

Brands want Minions and they pay for it.

Universal is making money WHILE advertising.

• Like 2

Funny you should mention that...

Universal said the studio’s promotional campaign is the largest and most comprehensive in its history, and it certainly seems that way. Minions opens in North America in 4,301 theaters Friday, with a 6 PM preview on Thursday night. It has already bowed internationally ahead of the domestic bow with $141.5M in 26 markets and was No. 1 in 25 of those.

“The minions have permeated pop culture so it has such a broad appeal from ages 3 to 84. We started hearing from brands (around the world), so it was a very coordinated global effort; we worked with all the local offices around the globe,” said David O’Connor Universal’s executive VP of global brand marketing and partnerships.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/minions-promotional-push-biggest-in-studio-history-1201471603/

• Like 1

Monster debut for the Minions in  France but here, it s even worse than anywhere else.

The Minions are everywhere since the Minions' father is french.

Tons & tons of articles on him in every newspaper & website.

Lots of tie ins with brands too.

• Like 1

It's going to do gangbusters for sure, but part of me wonders if the huge marketing push for Minions may backfire slightly. I know a lot of people who are getting sick of seeing Minions everywhere. Probably not going to take off a huge chunk of audiences, but still.

FWIW, my final predict is $110m/$355m.

• Like 1