CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

This is undoubtedly the biggest and best marketing campaign in the history of cinema. Disney and all other studios should take notice of Universals marketing genius !!!

You mean Disney/Pixar should throw in some awful annoying sidekicks in their movies? No, thank!

You mean Disney/Pixar should throw in some awful annoying sidekicks in their movies? No, thank!

Awful/annoying... in your opinion. Compared to the opinions of the people that just took this to $1 billion, without China.

And Disney films are littered with such "sidekicks".

• Like 5

Just wait till DM3 comes out. People will look back to Minions with astonishment that it made so much. I foresee very little lasting power to the movie itself.

I think DM3 will be huge as well. Not the 1.1-.1.2 billion of Minions but possibly over 1B too - with 300 DOM+ and 700+ OS. Possibly 800 too.

• Like 1

There is one factor in movie franchises, that people need to keep in mind when it comes to hugely successful films.

Character familiarity. People did like characters like Gru, the girls, etc, since they were more story-driven characters than the minions themselves.

And probably the absence of those characters, did kinda hurt the critical reception of Minions"...making it a "just OK-reviewed" flick.

People don't come back....just for the minions-slapsticks. Well, ok...they do come back for the Minions themselves...but the minions shouldn't be the only ones we would care for...cause...you still got Steve Carell as Gru.

And DM3 will be more like a direct sequel to DM2. (A movie that people did like). And while I do think DM3 won't outgross DM2, DOM-wise.....,I can't see it missing $300M either.

And for WW-wise....by the time we get to 2017, the Chinese markets would be gigantic by them. And I could see it do....$1.1-1.2B. And if Minions does break out in China...chances for DM3 being huge again, will be more likely.

Again...DM3 may not beat DM2, DOM-wise....but will certainly do it WW-wise. If it's a better movie than Minions.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 3

There is one factor in movie franchises, that people need to keep in mind when it comes to hugely successful films.

Character familiarity. People did like characters like Gru, the girls, etc, since they were more story-driven characters than the minions themselves.

And probably the absence of those characters, did kinda hurt the critical reception of Minions"...making it a "just OK-reviewed" flick.

People don't come back....just for the minions-slapsticks. Well, ok...they do come back for the Minions themselves...but the minions shouldn't be the only ones we would care for...cause...you still got Steve Carell as Gru.

And DM3 will be more like a direct sequel to DM2. (A movie that people did like). And while I do think DM3 won't outgross DM2, DOM-wise.....,I can't see it missing $300M either.

And for WW-wise....by the time we get to 2017, the Chinese markets would be gigantic by them. And I could see it do....$1.1-1.2B. And if Minions does break out in China...chances for DM3 being huge again, will be more likely.

Again...DM3 may not beat DM2, DOM-wise....but will certainly do it WW-wise. If it's a better movie than Minions.

EXACTLY my thoughts.

No way DM3 isn't a huge success.

1 billion or more is looking very good. China's reception to Minions should tell us a lot, too.

The competition is also a lot stronger than what Minions had too. 

IO and Minions co-existed very well, so I don't think TS4 and DM3 can't.

Unless TS4 is actually hugely better than TS3, which I don't think it will. Still, with IO being the better film than Minions critic-wise, both did great still.

It's not just Toy Story 4, it's Pirates of the Caribbean, War of the Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man. Considering those three are at least $200m domestic grosser and also very successful OS grossers, that'll be enough to dent DM3, 

JW, AOU, MI5 all didn't impact Minions, so I disagree there.

Everyone was underestimating Minions early on, some doubted it even cracks 1B due to Gru not there, franchise peaking etc etc

With 1.15-1.2 final gross, it way exceeded everyone's expectations. So will DM3 IMO.

Edited by MinaTakla

Minions released one month after JW, 2 months after AOU, and 3 weeks before MI.

Well I think IO is also a perfect example of animated films co-existing with blockbusters (like JW). DM2 also released around blockbusters and did super fine OS. 

There's a cross over in demo but DM as a franchise was always underestimated in its OS success, so I am not sold on the argument.

We also don't know exact OS dates for DM3 yet.

Well I think IO is also a perfect example of animated films co-existing with blockbusters (like JW). DM2 also released around blockbusters and did super fine OS. 

There's a cross over in demo but DM as a franchise was always underestimated in its OS success, so I am not sold on the argument.

We also don't know exact OS dates for DM3 yet.

OS it probably won't drop much from Minions, but there's a case to be made domestically.