CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

I'm glad he just went as himself and not Batman. I don't think it would have been any relief to the victims to see a dark hooded guy lurking in their hospital room, plus it would be so awkward for Bale to console them in costume/character.

• Like 2

I'm glad he just went as himself and not Batman. I don't think it would have been any relief to the victims to see a dark hooded guy lurking in their hospital room, plus it would be so awkward for Bale to console them in costume/character.

Yeah, it seems like a nice idea at first if you're just comparing it to Depp visiting that children's hospital, but his character wasn't inextricably linked to their illnesses. Definitely better if he just goes as a normal human being.

Is that good? I honestly don't know because it's discount tuesdays and the summer. I would have thought it would be more full. Maybe it will take awhile for people to go to the movies again. But, when they do, I am sure TDKR will be on their list of movies to see. I expect TDKR to have late legs from people seeing it hat didn't go to see it the first 2 weekends.

It's pretty good compared to what I've seen in the past. Considering it's only 11:50 in the morning and about half full. Tuesday helps but seems solid to me.

Not really. Even if TDKR had no mitigating circumstances it was not hitting 600 mill. I didn't even have it hitting 500 mill. BKB's posting style was arrogant and stupid at times, but his reasons, along with Mav's on this one were bang on. Law of averages dictates that TDKR would have somewhat of a drop and TA would be a perfect storm of everything that is good about the box office. Those two nailed it while the rest of us didn't see it the way they did.

Exactly. The way I look at is this. Every year we have 1-2 blockbusters max that capture the zeitgeist and exceed everyone's expectations at the box office. Just look at the last few years:2008: TDK, Twilight2009: Avatar, Hangover2010: Inception and (arguably) TS3 or AiW2011: Bridesmaids and (arguably) DHII2012 already has HG and TA. I never expected TDKR to match its predecessor's breakout performance, and I expect a similarly disappointing performance from TH, at least domestically. The tragedy gives us a scapegoat for TDKR's disappointing performance but I doubt it will affect its final total by more than 10-15%. The fact that we'll never know for sure will be one of the great mysteries, of course, but all the evidence pre-release pointed to a sub-600m and possibly sub-500m gross.

That is major bullshit right there. What an arrogant post to claim that there was "evidence" for sub-500m. Probably you should have done some research. Nearly every predictor site had it over 500m. The pre-sales determinate OW, hardly the legs and total, so that's a weak argument as well. Fact remains that we will never know and the only real number that we can discuss is the 30m midnights, which decide nothing.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Bale is creepy as fuck. Look at his interviews. There's something dead about his eyes. I'm not a fan of Bale as a person much. His rage against the cinematographer stunned me during TS. He still continued to yell even though the guy's voice was quivering. Fucking douche-bag.

Bale is creepy as fuck. Look at his interviews. There's something dead about his eyes. I'm not a fan of Bale as a person much. His rage against the cinematographer stunned me during TS. He still continued to yell even though the guy's voice was quivering. Fucking douche-bag.

Yeah, the fit was pretty tough to listen to. He doesnt seem like a guy you'd like to hang out with at all.

That is major bullshit right there. What an arrogant post to claim that there was "evidence" for sub-500m. Probably you should have done some research. Nearly every predictor site had it over 500m. The pre-sales determinate OW, hardly the legs and total, so that's a weak argument as well. Fact remains that we will never know and the only real number that we can discuss is the 30m midnights, which decide nothing.

I was talking about long-term, not OW, and predictions mean nothing. If they did than TPM would have outgrossed Titanic and IJ4 would have been the highest grossing movie of 2008. My point was that there are only so many movies that become huge, must-see blockbusters. With TH and TA already having broken out, it was unlikely TDKR would perform at the levels its fans hoped it would. Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 1