baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

I guess he's just saying they should never "assume" a number that huge to start with. Something could always go wrong and it could make less. And it did. It certainly did.

I think they were perfectly within reason to choose that date and assume a $180m+ OW. It's revisionist history to call them arrogant for it.
  • Like 2

They were arrogant about the Olympics for sure. They assumed the opening weekend would go exactly as planned (180 or whatever). Stupid assumption.

Nothing arrogant about this at all.And why wouldn't they assume the opening weekend to the sequel of one of the most beloved movies ever would go according to plan? Especially after the rave reviews?There was no reason to believe anything wouldn't go to plan.

It is the exact same release schedule as TDK and Inception. Shooting screwed it up but there is no way anybody could've taken it into account.

Huge difference in both cases, especially Inception since there were no Olympics it had to compete with that year. TDK was different because the Olympics started in the middle of August that year. TDK was already on its 4th weekend during the opening weekend. And anyways TDK was such a phenomenon I doubt much of anything would have affected it. Movies like that only come along very scarcely. They could never count on TDKR being the same kind of phenomenon. That was extremely arrogant if they did.
  • Like 1

But it isn't the exact same as those. Olympics didn't happen until TDK's 4th weekend and Olympics weren't an issue at all for Inception. Plus both films actually had extra summer weekdays compared to TDKR (4 extra for Inception and 2 extra for TDK). I said two months ago that they should have moved it to July 18th, the 4 year anniversary of TDK. Would have given them two extra summer days and also some protection against the Olympics drop on the second Friday.

July 18th release would have been fantastic..... and there is a chance the shooting wouldn't happened at all with that date.

July 18th release would have been fantastic..... and there is a chance the shooting wouldn't happened at all with that date.

That was my point earlier in the thread. How many small decisions in our lives have huge consequences? Many. For all we know, a release date change would have also changed history and kept that guy from hurting so many people. I'm not blaming WB, it's just making me wish that they did move it because you never know what would have happened. Some people could have been saved.

That was my point earlier in the thread. How many small decisions in our lives have huge consequences? Many. For all we know, a release date change would have also changed history and kept that guy from hurting so many people. I'm not blaming WB, it's just making me wish that they did move it because you never know what would have happened. Some people could have been saved.

The guy was a psycho, he would've done it whatever day it was released.
  • Like 1

Yeah the guy had been planning for quite some time, right? And the midnights still would have been very big. I suspect he would have done it anyway regardless of which day it was released.Best not to play the 'could have, should have' mindset.

He would've tried, but who knows how it would have turned out. That's the interesting thing about life. Different day could lead to a completely different result. Maybe someone accidentally busts him or maybe security is doing a better job on that particular day than they were at midnight Friday.

You can't say that with 100% certainty..... maybe he was sick on Wednesday?But what has happened has happened. All we can do is wish for good legs from here on.