baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

• Founder / Operator

I don't think its Batman alone whose popularity is to thank overseas, but Nolan himself in addition. Inception really padded his ability to draw among a wide range of audiences. Its performance overseas was arguably more impressive than TDK's even.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

Batman is certainly becoming a bigger franchise OS. TDK already showed that as it vastly outperformed previous Batman movies.Though it also helps that the OS market is growing at a relatively fast pace. And what Shawn said above.

It's possible it could sell less tickets than Transformers 2

It will be a close call for sure. Edited by Dark Prince

• Founder / Operator

I'm still amazed that Inception, a complex, weird movie, did as phenomenally well as it did

One reason I'm glad the Dark Knight series is over: so he can make more original films like that. I'd even settle for something smaller on the level of The Prestige.Peter Jackson (possibly) aside, I don't think any artist should ever get stuck in one universe when they have the talent to do so many other things. Spielberg and Cameron have made careers out of playing in more than one sandbox. Nolan is doing the same thing now. Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I don't know why everything here has to be 'amazing' or 'terrible'. It's like for fans there's no other option. Most movies get word of mouth somewhere in between 'amazing' and 'terrible' because most movies are somewhere in between those two.

• Like 3

One reason I'm glad the Dark Knight series is over: so he can make more original films like that. I'd even settle for something smaller on the level of The Prestige.Peter Jackson (possibly) aside, I don't think any artist should ever get stuck in one universe when they have the talent to do so many other things. Spielberg and Cameron have made careers out of playing in more than one sandbox. Nolan is doing the same thing now.

I completely agree about him making more original films... it's just that I also want his version of Bond. I know, I'm being greedy :lol:

I completely agree about him making more original films... it's just that I also want his version of Bond. I know, I'm being greedy :lol:

Oh I would give my left nut to see a Christopher Nolan Bond movie.

I don't think its Batman alone whose popularity is to thank overseas, but Nolan himself in addition. Inception really padded his ability to draw among a wide range of audiences. Its performance overseas was arguably more impressive than TDK's even.

The Inception connection is useless if WB didn't use it in TDKR's marketing, which I'm not sure if they did. They definitely didn't use it in domestic marketing. If they didn't use it overseas, it was a dumb move. "From the director of Inception and The Dark Knight" sounds a lot better than just "sequel to the Dark Knight."

Respectfully disagree with you. Movies are supposed to be hit hard, not just one of them. If everything else has recovered this weekend from last, then it should be safe to say that TDKR would follow the same trajectory. It's just not as liked as some of you, including you Shawn, think it is. Even people that like it will go on to tell you that they had reservations about it. That really didn't happen with TDK. This one has people, even the loonies, saying things like, "Oh my GOD!!!...best movie ever, so epic, so awesome....there were a few times I was bored, and Bane was a little hard to understand and some of the plot was full of holes, but oh MY GOD...OH MY GOD!!!LOVED IT SO MUCH. Tell me I'm wrong.

That struck me when I was reading the review threads. Plenty of reviews where the reviewer lists a bunch of flaws then goes A+!!!! at the end. It seems like more of the alphabet should be used. :) I was more interested in the Avengers back in April than I was in TDKR...mostly because I sensed a dip in quality from Nolan after two excellent films (TDK and Inception) but even my lowered expectations didn't help. I just don't see how you can list so many flaws than give it a perfect score.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I don't know why everything here has to be 'amazing' or 'terrible'. It's like for fans there's no other option. Most movies get word of mouth somewhere in between 'amazing' and 'terrible' because most movies are somewhere in between those two.

I'd like this post ten times over if I could.

I doubt it ever happens, but never say never. Would love to see it myself. But it seems like he might have gotten his fix with Inception -- who knows, though?

The Inception connection is useless if WB didn't use it in TDKR's marketing, which I'm not sure if they did. They definitely didn't use it in domestic marketing. If they didn't use it overseas, it was a dumb move. "From the director of Inception and The Dark Knight" sounds a lot better than just "sequel to the Dark Knight."

If this were 1990, I'd totally agree with you. I think the worldwide culture is too steeped in information in this day and age though to not be able to associate the movie with the man on their own.

I've been saying this on TASM thread, but it bears repeating:

The Avengers skewed the way we see how these movies would perform. We need to understand that both The Avengers and The Dark Knight are perfect storms, while The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man aren't.

I don't like TDKR but I love TASM. I know people that feel the other way around and people that enjoy both of them. What matters is that both films have good woom, but not HEAVEN SENT wom like The Avengers and TDKR had. Neither The Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises numbers are disappointing if we look at them as what they truly are: films that got a good reception but not as good - or as bad - as people here and other places hoped for.

In a World without The Avengers, I can see TASM and TDKR both as HUGE and ASTOUNDING successes. While I love The Amazing Spider-Man and The Avengers to death and find TDKR subpar, there are people that feel the opposite or all kinds of variations about these films. It's called opinion, and everyone is entitled of having them. That said, if The Avengers wasn't released this year, probably the box office of these two films would be bettter and look better than how we see it now.

Thing is that's not how it happened. The Avengers is the true responsible for how we are judging these films. We need come to terms that not all films will be perfect storms.

Nolan is already a brand name. I'd argue that his name is a bigger draw than any of the actors in the film. With that said, I think that TDKR is living by its name much more than people are realizing. If this was Brett Rattner's The Dark Knight Rises, much of the obvious flaws of the film would be far more evident to everyone else.

The big Nolan and Batman fans are judging TDKR by what they expected TDKR to be, instead of what it truly is. But that's my opinion only, and I'm okay with anyone that thinks otherwise.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Only if you ignored the rules of this franchise, which I've been talking about for 4 years. Add in the shooting and I think $400m is pretty fucking good.

I both agree and disagree with you but I just thought.... what rules exactly? The first film in this trilogy was the first big-budget reboot in modern history and followed the toxic reception of its "predecessor".

Its second film featured an Oscar-winning performance by an actor who virtually killed himself on accident because of the role itself.

Its third film is now the center of incredibly negative press thanks to an unprecedented theater shooting rampage that occurred during the opening of the movie itself.

If there's any franchise without rules, its gotta be this one. To paraphrase K in Men In Black, "they mean precisely...dick."

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 4

I both agree and disagree with you but I just thought.... what rules exactly? The first film in this trilogy was the first big-budget reboot in modern history and followed the toxic reception of its "predecessor".

Its second film featured an Oscar-winning performance by an actor who virtually killed himself on accident because of the role itself.

Its third film is now the center of incredibly negative press thanks to an unprecedented theater shooting rampage that occurred during the opening of the movie itself.

If there's any franchise without rules, its gotta be this one. To paraphrase K in Men In Black, "they mean precisely...dick."

I'm referring to the history of the Batman franchise over the last 23 years. The performance of B89 and TDK compared to the other 5 films was pretty strong evidence of the Joker effect that I've constantly talked about (and repeatedly been shrugged off for bringing up). The fact is even with the shooting, this film is going to sell around 20% more tickets than the next biggest non-Joker film in the franchise, Batman Forever. Batman Forever was considered a big time success for WB. Beating that one by a large amount of tickets sold and also crushing TDK's overseas gross is a big deal for the franchise. It basically solidifies the character's status around the world. WB now has a huge brand to work with. Now they better not fuck up with the reboot.
  • Like 1