The Truman Show  

40 members have voted

1. 1. The Truman Show

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Why didn't get Carrey an Oscar for this movie? It just doesn't make any sense.

He presented an award for Best Editing at that Oscars and jokingly acknowledged the snub.I'm a little surprised the Truman Show isn't thought of more highly now. It was acclaimed at the time but it feels like one of those movies a lot of people forgot about. Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

Brilliant. Jim Carrey gives the best performance of his career (even better than in Eternal Sunshine, for my money) and the film is sharp and prescient enough in its criticisms of the growing widespread fascination with "reality" TV that it still plays as well now as it did when it opened fourteen years ago.

A

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2

This is a great movie, with a rather strange story. Carrey was snubbed a lot of times, and this is one of those times, although I disagree with this being his best movie. I'd go with Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind on that one.

The directing was great, the script also. Ed Harris had a solid performance.

A-

• Like 2

it was good enough, but while the camp was good for the atmosphere of the town, it seemed to overflow into the whole movie making it so optimistic and warm that it completely clashed with the intent of the plotting. it just didn't feel very strong on its criticism of media consumption and culture.

otherwise a lovely little film, certainly with one of carrey's best performances.

63/100, B-

• Like 1