The Campaign  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Rate 'The Campaign'

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Well I saw The Campaign on Friday Night and I loved it. Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis are great together. The movie is full of laughs, and the movie has a little cartoonish feel, that I really liked. The supporting cast is also pretty good as well and our given room for a few of their own laughs. I don't think this is the best comedy of the year but it is better then Ted.

Very silly and unrealistic, but you pretty much have to be in order to retain the comedic value and stay a step ahead of the increasingly ridiculous actual political campaigns. Ferrell and Galifianakis do a terrific job turning their dirty politician roles into enjoyable comedic fodder and I think this film can still serve as an introduction to the dirty dealings behind real elections for people who don't follow that sort of thing, as it's presented in a broad, bipartisan manner.

B+

• Like 1

Will Ferrell sets the stage to this political comedy with a great speech exemplifying America Freedom and Guns, yet he has no clue what he is talking about and why he is saying it. As registration day gets closer, Ferrell finds himself running unopposed till Zack Galifinkas decides to enter the race through some nefarious behind the scenes dealings to sell their district to China. Thus The Campaign begins in earnest. In all honesty, the plot is not all that important. It is only there to serve our heros crazy situations for gross out jokes and punching babies. And when The Campaign is happening the movie is at it's best. The movie is at it's worse when it tries to make a heartfelt statement on politics. The overall tone of the film makes any of these statements late in the film fall flat and ring hollow. It's definitely worth seeing for the comedy that takes over for the much of the runtime but feel free to leave the theater after the first ending. The mid credits scene does not add much.

:( So much potential wasted.

The first half hour is the strongest, and it's surprisingly funnier than expected. There are some scenes that are actually somewhat clever and inspired, but it's still not one of Ferrell's stronger films and does feel a bit long by the time it's over.

Go for some laughs and a couple of legitimate well-done scenes. Expect anything else, and you'll come out disappointed.

B-/C+

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

Big waste of potential. With Roach at the helm I thought it could say something interesting about politics. Sometimes a clever joke sneaks in but otherwise he directs this like it's Dinner for Schmucks. It's obvious and really dumb and sadly not funny enough to save itself.

• Like 2

Not very funny and completely silly. Characters do things in here that are just so beyond logical that its no longer comedy, it's just ineptness. Zach's wife would never, never, ever sleep with Ferrel and having her do so was supposed to be played for laughs, but it just made me hate her and Ferrell even more than I already did.5/10

a pleasant surprise, Will Ferrell gives his best performance yet and Zach Galifianakis is also good but his accent is distracting at times. Surprisingly good looking for a comedy. The feel good ending kinda ruined the experience for me though. B (75)

Big waste of potential. With Roach at the helm I thought it could say something interesting about politics. Sometimes a clever joke sneaks in but otherwise he directs this like it's Dinner for Schmucks. It's obvious and really dumb and sadly not funny enough to save itself.

This.

C for me. (73)

Edited by Jay Hollywood