Jack Nevada

Worst Oscar-winning Performances

I saw nothing in TLJ's performance that I hadn't already seen in any other performance of his. That he won over Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List and Di Caprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a joke.

IMO, only 2 performances that year were worthy of best supporting actor. One was Jones and the other was Kilmer in Tombstone. TLJ was stunning and brilliant in Fugitive.

Sean Connery-The UntouchablesJudi Dench-Shakespeare in LoveTommy Lee Jones-The FugitiveCatherine Zeta Jones-ChicagoJean Dujardin-The Artist

Totally agree with the last two.

I think Sandra win needs to be put in context.In comparison to the other ladies that year, there was nothing else that was amazing. Everyone I know who saw the film though Sandra stole the film and I think she plays a simplistic role but played it amazingly well.That win was more like the people's choice for that year.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

I think Sandra win needs to be put in context.In comparison to the other ladies that year, there was nothing else that was amazing. Everyone I know who saw the film though Sandra stole the film and I think she plays a simplistic role but played it amazingly well.That win was more like the people's choice for that year.

Carey Mulligan and Meryl Streep beg to differ
  • Like 1

Carey Mulligan and Meryl Streep beg to differ

Mulligan is the most over rated actress out there right now, imo. Hollywood is desperately trying to shove her down our collective throats and I don't get it.
  • Like 1

Well to be honest..If you looked at reviews and even people who follow the Oscars all the attention went to Sandra...The reason was she played the role of a mother really well. If she was not that good, why did thousands of Oscar members choose her?Point being support for Sandra to win a Oscar was not only from average people but from the academy as well.Not everyone who wins needs to be representing some sort of political message.Sometimes the best performances are the generic ones.

• Like 2

Well to be honest..If you looked at reviews and even people who follow the Oscars all the attention went to Sandra...The reason was she played the role of a mother really well. If she was not that good, why did thousands of Oscar members choose her?Point being support for Sandra to win a Oscar was not only from average people but from the academy as well.Not everyone who wins needs to be representing some sort of political message.Sometimes the best performances are the generic ones.

Beautifully said. And I agree.
  • Like 1

Not sure if serious. Meryl Streep completely inhabiting Julia Childs should have won easy. Even Gabby Sidibe was better then the whatever hell Sandra Bullock was doing. And last i checked this was the worst performance thread, not the people's choice award thread.

It's funny to me when people think you need to be a tortured soul in order to be worthy of an oscar. I think that's rubbish. It's the same reason I think Hackman deserved best actor in 1988 for Mississippi Burning over Hoffman's performance in Rainman. Hoffman had the flashier performance, Hackman, imo, had the more complete one. That's how I look at Bullock's.

That's not true in my case. Some of my favorite Oscar wins are stuff like Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda or Diane Keaton in Annie Hall or Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost. Not really "tortured soul" performances. I just happen to think that Sandra was bad in The Blind Side.Also thought Meryl was mediocre in The Iron Lady.... Yeesh, what a weak line-up of actresses we had this year.

That's not true in my case. Some of my favorite Oscar wins are stuff like Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda or Diane Keaton in Annie Hall or Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost. Not really "tortured soul" performances. I just happen to think that Sandra was bad in The Blind Side.Also thought Meryl was mediocre in The Iron Lady.... Yeesh, what a weak line-up of actresses we had this year.

Agree with you about Iron Lady...lol