Jack Nevada

Worst Oscar-winning Performances

It doesn't help that the movie is awful. Seriously, I know Meryl is supposed to be the Best Actress Ever, but she's always in the most mediocre shit.

Out of 17 Oscar nominations maybe 3 of them were for truly great movies. Ugh.

The Oscars that she's won are for Best Performance in a Leading Role and Best Performance in a Supporting Role. The films' quality or lack thereof should have no bearing in any assessment of her skills as an actress and her performances.
  • Like 4

It's funny to me when people think you need to be a tortured soul in order to be worthy of an oscar. I think that's rubbish. It's the same reason I think Hackman deserved best actor in 1988 for Mississippi Burning over Hoffman's performance in Rainman. Hoffman had the flashier performance, Hackman, imo, had the more complete one. That's how I look at Bullock's.

Absolutely. That's why I hate when people diss Marisa Tomei's role in My Cousin Vinny. She was gloriously funny, and her performance was revelatory. I am happy she won over the four stuffy, overrated British grande dames that she was up against.
  • Like 1

The Oscars that she's won are for Best Performance in a Leading Role and Best Performance in a Supporting Role. The films' quality or lack thereof should have no bearing in any assessment of her skills as an actress and her performances.

Wow! Thanks! I never realised that before!

No, I knew that. I was just pointing something out. It's just funny how the Best Actress Ever always picks bad projects.

Carey Mulligan >>> Sandra Bullock

An Education is so much better than The Blind Side that the competition isn't even fair and Mulligan completely nailed the role. Hell, Mulligan should've won the award for her delivery of the "I don't want to lose my virginity to a piece of fruit." quote. The Blind Side was just one of those feel-good pap movies that Academy wants to celebrate every 3-4 years and Bullock just got lucky that she was playing the leading role.

• Like 3

Zelly in Cold Mountian and Blanchitto in The Aviator. Those caricatures were A Grade examples of Oscar whoring. They figured they couldn`t win without going way overboard with camp and overacting and turned it up 100 notches.

Sean Penn in Mystic River. See above minus camp. He was good in Milk.

Adrian Brody in The Pianist. he was doing what he always does - lifelessly gazing into camera until you are knocked out unconscious by the extreme boredom. That his career went downhill from there is no surprise. Watching a grass grow is more exciting than watching 10 minutes of Brody.

Kate Winslet in The Reader. Another A Grade example of Oscar whoring role. Holocaust! Overacting! Fake German accent! She deserved many wins but not for that movie and performance.

• Like 1