CJohn

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

I have my doubts, but this season is a huge improvement over last year

I suspect it will at least get a 3rd season on ABC.  Forever, Resurrection and Revenge are higher candidates to be cancelled.  And like numbers said it would probably go on as 10-12 season Netflix show.

Do you guys think this will continue after this season? Ratings have been atrocious so far.

Atrocious seems a bit hyperbolic. EW or one of the mainstream sites, I forget which, don't categorize it as in trouble.

Once you account for the over inflated S1/Ep1 interest factor and actually look at where S1 ended, S2 began and where it's at now the retained viewership is within an acceptable margin. Plus it's doing better than some other ABC shows.

I fully expect a full S3 pickup unless the drop from Dec9 to the return in March, to allow for Agent Carter, is very significant. 

• Like 2

Okay, so I'm ready to give this AoS a second chance.  I haven't seen the show since the S1E1, and couldn't even get through that episode because most of the acting was sooooooooooo bad.  Where's a good place to pick up, without having to endure all of S1. 

• Like 1

I don't think you'll be disappointed at your decision to re-try AoS Ruthie!

The show is so much stronger that I'd say the first dozen episodes are a shadow of the show is now. Still, I do think those early episodes, for those of us who stayed with them, can appreciate where the characters are now much more since we've seen them mature to the point we are at S2ep.7

• Like 1

I have my doubts, but this season is a huge improvement over last year

Disney will do what CW did, they have tons of money.. They will keep this show going I think seasons long to fuel the movies , tv and movie universe tie ins and more. And heck they got the cash now to really promote Agents of Shield on their huge ABC network and Radio mega fanbase..Shouldnt be too hard to keep tons of advertisers and new fans coming in Clone wars.

If CW can afford to keep Sville and Supernatural going without the biggest ratings, ABC can definitely keep AOS going indefinitely. :) Loved this episode, though didnt know if it was Atlantis or the place where the inhumans are.. :)

Hey isnt Medusa an Inhuman?

Do you guys think this will continue after this season? Ratings have been atrocious so far.

When you factor in the Live+7 Day viewing (which accounts for Hulu views as well… people like me who don't have cable/network television so have to watch it a day later, and Hulu service does have commercials play during the episodes) the average increase is usually above 70%, which is a huge leap. Puts the measurable viewing around 7 million viewers each week.

It's not a huge number, but it also is a top ratings getter for men 18-49, a coveted demographic for ABC. 

I think it does okay for now. 

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 1

Disney/ABC dropped the ball big time by not having AOS streaming on Netflix a week or so before the new season started. Yes, while the prior season was uneven by majority view, people could've caught up with the show post-WS and rolled right into the season premiere. If just a few more Nielsen households caught the latter half of last season, ratings might have improved for this more stellar season.

That said, this show, I want to marry it like WHOA!!

You can jump to Episode 10, 11, or 13. Episode 13 begins a continuous serial arc that is interrupted by only a single "case of the week" episode in #15.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at your decision to re-try AoS Ruthie!

The show is so much stronger that I'd say the first dozen episodes are a shadow of the show is now. Still, I do think those early episodes, for those of us who stayed with them, can appreciate where the characters are now much more since we've seen them mature to the point we are at S2ep.7

Watched S1 eps 13 and 14.  Thirteen was FANTASTIC!  Loved how they layered the story a la LOST.  Fourteen would have been better but the overuse of the fawning over Skye made the episode uneven.  On that note, Simmons and Skye are ANNOYING! Simmons is at least awkwardly charming and therefore tolerable.  Skye is just annoying, even when she was "dying".  And I can't tell if the character is supposed to be that way or the actress is that bad, maybe both. Thankfully, Gregg and Paxton made ep14 shine.  Boy, those two are fun to watch.  I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes.  Thanks for your recommendations folks!   

Edited by Ruthie
  • Like 2

Finished S1.  First, let me get the unpleasant stuff out of the way.  I OFFICIALLY HATE SKYE!  AND CHLOE BENNETT IS A HORRIBLE ACTRESS!  I think part of the reason S1 is hard for some people is that both the character and actress are bad, and that they are so overused.   The saying that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch comes close to being true in this case.  If season two focuses as much on Skye as what I saw of season one, then I may have to medicate myself before watching.  

Now on to the good stuff.  Overall this is a great show.  Gregg is the perfect center for it.  You can tell he not only relishes the role, but is having a blast doing it.  His energy is infectious, and infuses every scene he's in to the point that he lifts most of the other actors to another level. Paxton was wonderful as Garrett.  Providing the character with all of the creepiness and loathing for others that it took to make him come across as not only a lethal SHIELD agent, but the very embodiment of Hydra. Great villain!  

I officially love Fitz!  The easiest thing to do is to portray a techie as annoying or nerdy or a disconnected super-genius.  The hardest thing is to portray a techie that's all of those things in such balance that he comes across as the most human of all the characters, and De Caestecker pulls it off with great warmth.  Kudos to him.    And Wen as May is fabulous.  When seeing her in action I can actually buy the sell that she can take out a bigger, stronger and well-trained man.  

The action is great but alarmingly brutal. However, none of it, at least from what I saw in episode 13 onward, is so far-fetched that it takes you out of the experience. The dialog got to be sophomoric in parts, but when spoken by the right actor it was acceptable.  Overall the writing was incredibly strong, and I really appreciate how the show wove itself among the MCU movies with Extremis, alien tech and the cellist.  Neat stuff.  

This would easily be a 100% show if the acting and writing were all on keel, but they're not for the reasons mentioned.  So, I had to deduct points and give it 88%.  On to season 2. 

• Like 1

Ruthie the attention and focus on Skye has taken a backseat. With the focus being on Coulson making SHIELD once again legit, even if he's doing it in the shadows. Clark Gregg takes much more center stage and he a few times puts Skye in her place no longer tolerating her rather childish antics of S1. I'd wager now that she's a full Agent and not a Consultant he's pushing his expectations of what an Agent's demeanor should be. She still has a few scenes but they are largely minimized.

Great stuff with the new characters brought in: Hunter, Mack + more Tripp & when Bobbi(Mockingbird) comes in at episode 5 all help to make the show more layered. We've had three call backs to 1945/46 and Agent Carter cameos as it ties into AoS second season arc of finding out the mystery of the "alien writing". Skye's Dad, especially this last episode, has come on as a big player and I'd wager we'll get a more Skye centered episode but her portrayal is still light years better than S1. 

Finished S1.  First, let me get the unpleasant stuff out of the way.  I OFFICIALLY HATE SKYE!  AND CHLOE BENNETT IS A HORRIBLE ACTRESS!  I think part of the reason S1 is hard for some people is that both the character and actress are bad, and that they are so overused.   The saying that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch comes close to being true in this case.  If season two focuses as much on Skye as what I saw of season one, then I may have to medicate myself before watching.  

Now on to the good stuff.  Overall this is a great show.  Gregg is the perfect center for it.  You can tell he not only relishes the role, but is having a blast doing it.  His energy is infectious, and infuses every scene he's in to the point that he lifts most of the other actors to another level. Paxton was wonderful as Garrett.  Providing the character with all of the creepiness and loathing for others that it took to make him come across as not only a lethal SHIELD agent, but the very embodiment of Hydra. Great villain!  

I officially love Fitz!  The easiest thing to do is to portray a techie as annoying or nerdy or a disconnected super-genius.  The hardest thing is to portray a techie that's all of those things in such balance that he comes across as the most human of all the characters, and De Caestecker pulls it off with great warmth.  Kudos to him.    And Wen as May is fabulous.  When seeing her in action I can actually buy the sell that she can take out a bigger, stronger and well-trained man.  

The action is great but alarmingly brutal. However, none of it, at least from what I saw in episode 13 onward, is so far-fetched that it takes you out of the experience. The dialog got to be sophomoric in parts, but when spoken by the right actor it was acceptable.  Overall the writing was incredibly strong, and I really appreciate how the show wove itself among the MCU movies with Extremis, alien tech and the cellist.  Neat stuff.  

This would easily be a 100% show if the acting and writing were all on keel, but they're not for the reasons mentioned.  So, I had to deduct points and give it 88%.  On to season 2. 

You nailed the ever-annoying Skye and her negative affect on the show. I honestly believe that the terrible way that character was handled drove a lot of viewers away from AOS. It's telling that Bennet herself admitted that she needed eight auditions to make the cut, even with ABC execs pushing her. (She was on Nashville first because of her alleged singing talent, but they never let her sing and dumped her after one season.) Centering the show around Skye and just assuming that the audience would love her was a major mistake on the part of the producers, but then the Whedons can never resist trying to create another Buffy.

Skye has been reigned in and her role scaled back a little, but make no mistake, she is still the center of the show. Although the writers wisely focused on Coulson during the cat-and-mouse games with HYDRA, it's all coming back around to the fake hacker chick in the end. Mary Sue Poots is the key and we'll never be allowed to forget it. 

Season Two has many good things to offer, however. The villains are much stronger than the sophomoric "Centipede" they wasted half a season on last year. Daniel Whitehall/Werner Reinhardt is a seriously deranged man, far more coldly vicious in his methods than any of the film villains. Raina survives to vamp another day, though I still think they missed a great opportunity by not having Coulson try to rehabilitate her instead of Skye. Ruth Negga is such a great actress and her encounters with Clark Gregg are full of potential. Even the formerly bland Ward has morphed into a frighteningly efficient psychopath. The ramped-up villainy has been wonderful to behold.

On the flip side, the newly added regular Nick Blood and his character, Lance Hunter, have stepped into that irritating space partially vacated by Skye. He seems to exist solely to do a lot of beta-male whining and spew lame ex-wife cliches. Adrienne Palicki has done a great job as Mockingbird, but she would have been a far better permanent addition to the cast than Blood. 

Ruthie the attention and focus on Skye has taken a backseat. With the focus being on Coulson making SHIELD once again legit, even if he's doing it in the shadows. Clark Gregg takes much more center stage and he a few times puts Skye in her place no longer tolerating her rather childish antics of S1. I'd wager now that she's a full Agent and not a Consultant he's pushing his expectations of what an Agent's demeanor should be. She still has a few scenes but they are largely minimized.

Great stuff with the new characters brought in: Hunter, Mack + more Tripp & when Bobbi(Mockingbird) comes in at episode 5 all help to make the show more layered. We've had three call backs to 1945/46 and Agent Carter cameos as it ties into AoS second season arc of finding out the mystery of the "alien writing". Skye's Dad, especially this last episode, has come on as a big player and I'd wager we'll get a more Skye centered episode but her portrayal is still light years better than S1. 

You nailed the ever-annoying Skye and her negative affect on the show. I honestly believe that the terrible way that character was handled drove a lot of viewers away from AOS. It's telling that Bennet herself admitted that she needed eight auditions to make the cut, even with ABC execs pushing her. (She was on Nashville first because of her alleged singing talent, but they never let her sing and dumped her after one season.) Centering the show around Skye and just assuming that the audience would love her was a major mistake on the part of the producers, but then the Whedons can never resist trying to create another Buffy.

Skye has been reigned in and her role scaled back a little, but make no mistake, she is still the center of the show. Although the writers wisely focused on Coulson during the cat-and-mouse games with HYDRA, it's all coming back around to the fake hacker chick in the end. Mary Sue Poots is the key and we'll never be allowed to forget it. 

Season Two has many good things to offer, however. The villains are much stronger than the sophomoric "Centipede" they wasted half a season on last year. Daniel Whitehall/Werner Reinhardt is a seriously deranged man, far more coldly vicious in his methods than any of the film villains. Raina survives to vamp another day, though I still think they missed a great opportunity by not having Coulson try to rehabilitate her instead of Skye. Ruth Negga is such a great actress and her encounters with Clark Gregg are full of potential. Even the formerly bland Ward has morphed into a frighteningly efficient psychopath. The ramped-up villainy has been wonderful to behold.

On the flip side, the newly added regular Nick Blood and his character, Lance Hunter, have stepped into that irritating space partially vacated by Skye. He seems to exist solely to do a lot of beta-male whining and spew lame ex-wife cliches. Adrienne Palicki has done a great job as Mockingbird, but she would have been a far better permanent addition to the cast than Blood. 

Great input, guys.  I'm planning on bingeing on season 2 this weekend.  Regarding Skye and, from the sounds of it, Hunter, one of the things I learned in a literature class long ago is that if one has to force a character onto the reader, then the character isn't worth the ink on the page.  Hopefully TPTB continue to reign in those characters or reformat them in such a way that the audience is engendered to them by choice. 

Just about caught up with season 2.  Skye is still soooooo annoying. She's the kid character that is inserted in all of the cartoons of 80s and 90s cartoons to make them "child-friendly", but she's so unnecessary.  And all the gyrations to make her necessary are hitting pits in the road because Bennett has all the acting skills of a pork chop.  It's really, reeeeeeeeeeeally hard for me to sit through scenes with her in it, and I found myself either wincing or just hitting forward.  The other actors on the show deserve better than to have to share the screen with someone who weighs it down so much.  I'm sure Bennett is a great person in real life, but she's a horrible actress.  The character either needs to be killed off or the actress replaced.

Other than that, the show is firing on just about all cylindars.  All of the other actors have truly stepped it up a notch.  I can't say enough about Gregg.  He's wonderful!  And Dalton as the sociopathic Ward is something of a revelation.  If he keeps going at that click, the guy should get an emmy.  Everyone else has found their calling and brings their characters to life in ways that automatically bring you in.  Heck, even the character of Mack, who so far really is nothing more than a walking self-help book, is engaging.  That's some fine casting. 

The sloppy writing that seemed to constantly step on the toes of season 1 is less intrusive but still present, especially surrounding Palicki's Morse and Blood's Hunter.  I understand the desire to showcase the love-hate relationship of ex-spouses, but there's a time and a place for those things and what we have seen so far is the wrong time and place. 

Speaking of the wrong place, I think the things that ail this show could be easily addressed by moving original episodes to Netflix or cable.  With that there won't be the constraints of considering the 13-17 year old crowd; thereby, making characters like Skye and some of the sophomoric writing that's kept in the cut unnecessary. 

I'm done with the show for now.  I may pick it up during the summer and finish season 2, if I medicate myself properly beforehand.

Speaking of the wrong place, I think the things that ail this show could be easily addressed by moving original episodes to Netflix or cable.  With that there won't be the constraints of considering the 13-17 year old crowd; thereby, making characters like Skye and some of the sophomoric writing that's kept in the cut unnecessary. 

I don't think they can move the show though.  Also with the creators and the network being from the same parent company, the show may not receive the same funding, since they would not care about the Marvel movie promoting potential.  Unfortunately Disney doesn't own a network on which this show would fit other than the one its currently on.