baumer

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's really the best "pure" Batman movie adaptation to date -- no surprise since Burnett/Dini/Timm rocked the Animated Series. And Hamill's Joker is iconic/ However, some minor points deducted for feeling a bit like a made-for-TV movie getting a theatrical release (due to budget and animation limitations).

• Like 2

A+

Better than Nolan's Batman. This is Batman 101, the only one "pure" Batman from beginning to end.(That scene in the cave says it all)

That theme. Shirley Walker FTW, she really nailed and encapsulated what Batman is all about. Pure haunting gothic beauty where the darkness of the character meets the heroic brightness. Zimmer got nothing on that.

Goosebumps. :wub:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

A+

Better than Nolan's Batman. This is Batman 101, the only one "pure" Batman from beginning to end.(That scene in the cave says it all)

That theme. Shirley Walker FTW, she really nailed and encapsulated what Batman is all about. Pure haunting gothic beauty where the darkness of the character meets the heroic brightness. Zimmer got nothing on that.

:batman:

ME/GREATNESS!

:batman:

On 4/13/2013 at 11:30 PM, dashrendar44 said:

A+

the best Batman opening credits. Gives me goosebumps

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

A middling movie. Just watch the show. The outsourced animation just isn't good enough for a feature film, and I also don't really care about Bruce's relationships. C

To be fair, MOTP was originally intended for straight to video, and was only released in theaters at the last minute by WB. So while the animation is not stunning, it's fine enough, considering that the budget is very low.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

2 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

To be fair, this was originally intended for straight to video, and was only released in theaters at the last minute by WB. So while the animation is not stunning, the animation is good and fluid enough when you consider that.

True, but that's not the only reason I'm not enthusiastic. I'm totally unmoved by Bruce's psychological issues in this movie. The acting just wasn't there.

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

True, but that's not the only reason I'm not enthusiastic. I'm totally unmoved by Bruce's psychological issues in this movie. The acting just wasn't there.

Personally I think the voice-acting in the film is fantastic, especially Conroy. Along with the I Am The Night episode, and Old Bruce in Batman Beyond, I think it's one of his best performances as Bruce Wayne and Batman in the entire DCAU.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm has a very interesting structure for a Batman movie, let alone a serious animated Batman movie. The strong non-linearity of the storytelling has its advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately serves to make the film feel longer than it is (which is a good thing when a film is shorter than 90 minutes). Conroy and Hamill are always fantastic, and it's just a concise and epic tale fitting of the Dark Knight. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a fun watch that might be lacking in complexity, but still is generally excellent. B