Noctis

The Matrix VS Inception

Matrix VS Inception  

58 members have voted

1. 1. The Matrix VS Inception

• The Matrix
    • Inception

Inspired by this thread I just re-watched The Matrix for the first time in about 3 years. The biggest flaw of the movie after watching it again is the lack of character development for anyone but Neo. To that end, moments that are meant to be emotional, for example characters such as Apoc are being murdered in-front of Neo's eyes, come off as flat. I just don't know them well enough to particularly care. I also don't buy Trinity's love for Neo. Why does she end up loving him? What on-screen do we see that validates a feeling as strong as love?With that said it is an amazing film that holds up really well today. The entire movie is shot REALLY well with the cinematography first class. And I'm not just talking about the action scenes here, in-fact those were probably the weakest part of the cinematography for me on re-watch simply because they have been parodied so many times..... But more important than that, the movie is smart and it introduces us to complex philosophical themes while still being damn entertaining to watch. And in a world where brain-dead summer blockbusters are still the norm, it really does make a refreshing change of pace.But still, I was more emotionally involved in Inception and that is why that movie still gets the Nod from me.Inception 9.5/10Matrix 9/10

Especially if there's absolutely no emotional hook in the film. Interesting ideas can only get you so far.

No emotional hook? You sure we watched the same movie? The only reason why Neo could do what he did was because of love. The only reason why Neo was the one was because of love. The only reason why Neo is alive is because of love. Not sure if serious. Inception had angry Mal.

And about what I said with all the characters in matrix being caricatures, here's what I thinkMorpheus = an Obi-wan/yoda sort of wise guy mentor characterNeo= the reluctant hero who eventually realizes his destinyTrinity= empowered heroine who of course falls in love with the herocypher= typical traitor(his only purpose in the movie was to advance to the plot and kill off characters)But to each his own.

And about what I said with all the characters in matrix being caricatures, here's what I thinkMorpheus = an Obi-wan/yoda sort of wise guy mentor characterNeo= the reluctant hero who eventually realizes his destinyTrinity= empowered heroine who of course falls in love with the herocypher= typical traitor(his only purpose in the movie was to advance to the plot and kill off characters)But to each his own.

They're archetypes in the hero's journey. It's a very common story structure, but that's not a bad thing, it's common because it works and people like it. I don't think that should be a criticism of the film. Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

No emotional hook? You sure we watched the same movie? The only reason why Neo could do what he did was because of love. The only reason why Neo was the one was because of love. The only reason why Neo is alive is because of love. Not sure if serious. Inception had angry Mal.

lol What a wrong thinkingemotional engagement happens when we care about the carachter (and we have reasons for that), not only because it's about love Edited by Goffeweenie

Wow, Baumer was not sleeping in the night but kept liking your post .. ? :unsure:

I don't mean I like the part where Toymaker says people are idiots for voting for Inception....but I like the rest.

Kids and idiots will vote Inception.

People that understand the importance of The Matrix in history will vote for that one.

I voted for The Matrix. Not only because it's a much better movie, but it really was a global sensation within the film world.

:sick: arrogance level 1000

Inception has much better box office (even adjusted) and legs: 290 million in 2009 is so much better than 170 million in 1990, same with legs. Better reviews with critics and users at RT and IMDB respectively. Whats matrix have? the famous bullet time effect?

it really was a global sensation within the film world. Wasn't inception too? 532 FREAKING MILLION to a original sci-fi is damn hard.

• Like 1

All I ever hear is the talk about Nolanites acting like assholes, but this thread has none of that. People who have defended Inception have presented legitimate arguments for the most part and so have pro Matrix folks but Matrix guys have also been pretentious dicks through and through. Posts like Inception voters being idiots are rampant and saying Inception is superior in any department is apparently laughable now. These are the same folks who talk crap about Nolan lovers, but have been acting so snobbish themselves.Go back and read through this thread (was my first time stumbling upon this thread today) and I'm amazed at how pompous people have been on this topic. So many of you act as if The Matrix is being compared to that Oogie movie or something. Get over it.

• Like 3