Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Estimates (9/14 - 9/16/12) - PAGE 21 - (RE5 $21.1m, Nemo $17.5m, Master $730k!)

Res Evil: $8.4m

Another one bites the dust. It could even miss 20M opening.If the estimates hold, and it has the same drops from Friday-without-midnights then,Sat: 7.5mSun: 4.6mTotal: 20.5mI expect Friday number to go down with actuals and bigger drop for Sat/Sun.

True, Lion King's run was just phenomenal last year and because of that some people have lofty expectations for the other 3D rereleases. Lion King 3D's run last year was the biggest box office shocker for me last year

It's like when Titanic came out and destroyed records and everyone thought Menace would destroy those records. Sometimes films just behave abnormally. We now have three releases that are going to finish in the 40-50 mill range, which as Dar said, is ice cream with the cake. TLK was an anomaly.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

So now we can put to rest all this negative feedback about Titanic and Menace. For films to be on DVD for years and to be playing on TV every weekend, to come out and make 40-50 mill is quite astonishing when you think about it. Nemo's opening is fine.

At the same time, it makes TLK's performance even more impressive in retrospect. Maybe parents are just learning to say "No, watch it here at home for free!" to their kids. :lol:
  • Like 1

I am a little surprised Nemo opened to less than Beauty (5.6m) when Nemo's marketing campaign was so much stronger.I can't wait to see what The Master does next weekend.

Have to agree with the marketing push on Nemo, but my guess about why the opening was a little weaker would be that:1. Not as much time since the original run.2. 3D-ing and original 2D computer animated film doesn't have the novelty or effect as doing the same on tradition animation. Still am thinking about seeing Nemo, since it's a Pixar favorite. :)Would love to see those early weekend estimates hold for EX2 and BL.

To have a 200k PTA for the weekend, The Master needs to go up 25% today and drop 15% tomorrow. It's extremely difficult, but it's not impossible.

I suspect you think that it's playing in 4 theaters. It's actually playing in 5, so it's weekend PTA will be in the 140k-160k ballpark. Will still beat Moonrise and get into top 10 all-time.

True, Lion King's run was just phenomenal last year and because of that some people have lofty expectations for the other 3D rereleases. Lion King 3D's run last year was the biggest box office shocker for me last year

Remember what helped TLK was that, it hadn't been in Market for years while Nemo didn't have the same advantage. Demand was built over time for TLK. I'm definitely interested in how Aladdin will do, if Disney ever re-releases it in 3D.

At the same time, it makes TLK's performance even more impressive in retrospect. Maybe parents are just learning to say "No, watch it here at home for free!" to their kids. :lol:

Of course TLK may have had time on its side too. It was what 17 years, Nemo's not even 10 years old, until next year. Edited by DAR