Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Estimates (9/14 - 9/16/12) - PAGE 21 - (RE5 $21.1m, Nemo $17.5m, Master $730k!)

• Founder / Operator

It might help actually. I'm pretty sure among conservatives it was well received, so those who may not have been interested might turn up. It may have raised his profile in general.

Yea, I'm sure it didn't win over a lot of new fans but Curve is definitely a movie that will appeal to the middle America-type audiences as well as conservatives and southerners. The question is if it can do so enough to make up for not having Brad Pitt, which helped Moneyball appeal a bit outside of the normal baseball movie crowd across the country. Edited by ShawnMR

At the same time, it makes TLK's performance even more impressive in retrospect. Maybe parents are just learning to say "No, watch it here at home for free!" to their kids. :lol:

True, 3D tickets are expensive especially for a familyAnd like I mentioned earlier, last year TLK was the first major family movie in a long time so that helped but this time Wimpy Kid 3, ParaNorman and Odd Life all did respectable business last August. With the great openings of Lorax and Madagascar 3 this year, seems like when there's a long stretch of time when there are no family movies in theaters, the first one that comes out will perform well out of the gate

Dredd? Trouble With The Curve? End of Watch? House at the End of the Street? Give me a break.

Um, OK, if you want to continue to watch and cheer for a movie available on DVD 9 years ago and a franchise that has been rehash after rehash, go for it.

Yea, I'm sure it didn't win over a lot of new fans but Curve is definitely a movie that will appeal to the middle America-type audiences as well as conservatives and southerners. The question is if it can do so enough to make up for not having Brad Pitt, which helped Moneyball appeal a bit outside of the normal baseball movie crowd across the country.

I think Curve is not really a baseball movie but more a father reconnecting with his daughter via baseball.
  • Like 1

Mainly because the two movies getting good reviews are smaller profile releases with less apparent interest in them. Curve doesn't have many reviews out and aims to be more of a crowd-pleaser than a critic-pleaser. House is just hoping to sell teens and young adults who like Lawrence -- although its release delays have me concerned, personally. The marketing isn't that impressive either but these horror flicks sometimes aren't and still manage to do well somehow.I personally think anything can happen next weekend, but one of the few things I feel confident about right now is that good reviews will be mostly meaningless for Dredd and End of Watch in terms of their opening weekend. They'll battle each other for the lowest of the four openers. Curve and House could end up close, but we'll see. I'm apprehensive with baseball movies but I'm also not sure House is being sold very well.

Cool, thanks for explaining. I, myself am hoping for long leggy runs for at least half a dozen movies in the fall. I miss those.Here's to 4.5x+ multipliers!

how is Resident Evil's opening disappointing? It is to be expected

It's dropping from 26.65m OW to 20m OW between installments, but the domestic run is completely irrelevant. It'll break 200m+ WW and we'll get Resident Evil: We Don't Give a Rat's Ass Anymore in a few years.
  • Like 1

Yea, I'm sure it didn't win over a lot of new fans but Curve is definitely a movie that will appeal to the middle America-type audiences as well as conservatives and southerners. The question is if it can do so enough to make up for not having Brad Pitt, which helped Moneyball appeal a bit outside of the normal baseball movie crowd across the country.

Cllint Eastwood doesn't really need new fans. He's been at this a long time. The last movie he starred in made a lot of money. Remember Grand Torino? I don't think the "chair" will hurt his new movie's chances. Most people laughed and wrote it off as an old guy rant, lol. Edited by ECSTASY

• Founder / Operator

Cool, thanks for explaining. I, myself am hoping for long leggy runs for at least half a dozen movies in the fall. I miss those.Here's to 4.5x+ multipliers!

Welcome. Totally agreed, I'd like to see some leggy runs soon. The Master looks like it it will have a long run. Argo is a great candidate for some legs too.

Cllint Eastwood doesn't really need new fans. He's been at this a long time. The last movie he starred in made a lot of money. Remember Grand Prix? I don't think the "chair" will hurt his new movie's chances. Most people laughed and wrote it off as an old guy rant, lol.

He doesn't "need" new fans, of course. His movie might though. For example, even the studio knows he alone might not sell this movie... that's why Adams and Timberlake have been so prominent in the marketing. Eastwood + baseball = off-putting for a lot of younger movie-goers. And by "younger", that can mean anyone under 30 or 40 in this flick's case.Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped about it personally. But I'm a huge baseball fan and I like Eastwood in this type of role, so I'm in the audience.

Yeah Alladin is almost forgotten, I haven't seen it in video stores or played in Disney Channel. And it's not like the movie was like Hunchback of Notre Dame in terms of impact, that movie was so popular during its time. A Whole New World is I believe one of the most popular songs from that came from the Disney 90s renaissance

Didn't Aladdin beat Home Alone 2 at the box office, it was definetly the biggest Disney film until Lion King came along.

Interesting, I didn't know Aladdin was coming out so soon on B/R. I hope they re-release it in 3D because it's my favorite Disney classic. :) :) :)

Aladdin along with Tarzan are the one I think would work if rerelease in 3D. I thought the title number in Beauty and the Beast was incredible in 3D, A Whole New World would take it to another level.

Got to give Weinstein a lot of kudos for handling The Master in the best possible way. Pushing the film up a month to take advantage of Venice buzz was one thing, but early 70mm screenings across the country was another, especially when we weren't sure a month ago if it would screen in 70mm at all. Should have a long run ahead, more if it gains serious Oscar traction.

• Like 1

Welcome. Totally agreed, I'd like to see some leggy runs soon. The Master looks like it it will have a long run. Argo is a great candidate for some legs too.

He doesn't "need" new fans, of course. His movie might though. For example, even the studio knows he alone might not sell this movie... that's why Adams and Timberlake have been so prominent in the marketing. Eastwood + baseball = off-putting for a lot of younger movie-goers. And by "younger", that can mean anyone under 30 or 40 in this flick's case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped about it personally. But I'm a huge baseball fan and I like Eastwood in this type of role, so I'm in the audience.

But like I said in another post, from the theatrical trailer I saw, this was less about baseball and more about Eastwood reconnecting with his daughter through baseball. I didn't see it as a baseball movie ala Moneyball or Major League or even A League of Their Own. But that was just from the trailers. I know you can't rely on them to tell the whole story. And I can see why Amy Adams is featured so prominently in the marketing, she's really a major character. I liked her even in the trailer. I know they want to attract younger viewers though. Edited by ECSTASY