baumer

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

67 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

so after all you guys kept saying how damn great this movie is, I went and saw it tonight....well I will say it was great but I didn't fall madly in love with it. I could relate with the characters, writing was great, powerful performances, and also great music. Summit really dropped the ball with this movie, this could of made some decent money at the box office with a full release.

Caught this again the other day. Still wildly impressed with Emma and especially Logan. Both of their performances got even better the second time. And the stuff with Mary Elizabeth kills me, it's so true to the book and fucking hilarious.Still don't "get it" re: Ezra Miller. His performance isn't natural to me. He looks like he's acting the entire movie, if you know what I mean.It's a very solid movie over all but it won't be my favorite of the year, it's definitely top 3 at the moment, but right now Cloud Atlas takes the cake.

• Like 1

Caught this again the other day. Still wildly impressed with Emma and especially Logan. Both of their performances got even better the second time. And the stuff with Mary Elizabeth kills me, it's so true to the book and fucking hilarious.Still don't "get it" re: Ezra Miller. His performance isn't natural to me. He looks like he's acting the entire movie, if you know what I mean.It's a very solid movie over all but it won't be my favorite of the year, it's definitely top 3 at the moment, but right now Cloud Atlas takes the cake.

I thought Exra was great the whole movie, very well done.
  • Like 1

So happy with how this movie turned out after reading the book. I did have a few issues with it, like the pacing in the beginning and unnatural dialogue, but I had a big smile on my face for most of the movie.

Logan and Ezra were brilliant. Emma was great too, apart from her dodgy accent. I almost lost it at the end because of how good Logan was.

I think this movie defines the modern teen drama genre like Mean Girls did with teen comedy. There's so much I can relate to and it really, really connected with me even more than the book did. In my top 3 of the year so far.

A

• Like 2

This is a fantastic movie. At first I couldn't separate it from the book, wondering if it was because the material was so good, it made the movie automatically succeed. But then, I realized it's because, whomever I pictured in my mind whilst reading it, the actors, the direction, the cinematography played out how it should have done. It's that good. Has to be one of the best adaptations that has made it to the silver screen. I, too, related to Logan Lerman's Charlie. I was doubtful he would pull it off and as someone else alluded to, the trailer watered down my expectations as it looked exactly like the typical indie high school movie, except none has hit as hard as this. It was not afraid to push out real emotions, real experiences and real problems rather than sugarcoating. There are so many messages and layers to this, it's incredible. I need to see it again, quite unfortunately, it's censored here...mainly I assume the kisses between men (this is a Muslim country) and not sure what else but there was some awkward cuts (possibly swearing). I may sound like a hyperbolic record, but the longer I let it settle, the better it becomes. Just beautifully resonant and one would hope everyone would be able to find their own tight group to go through life together with. Loved it ^_^

• Like 6

Like I said to Noctis on a few occassions, the one word that aptly describes this is beautiful. Everyone seems to echo that sentiment. Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

There are two films I have seen this year that I can't wait to purchase. Wallflower is one and SLP is the other. I'll watch them back to back and then turn in my man card because I'll have a lump in my throat the whole time.

• Like 2

Just rewatched it. Yup, it's one of my favorites of the year. It's a really happy film despite being darker and more emotional than most high school movies I've watched. It's a specific and touching story that's also universal. It touches on cliches and familiarities while still rendering them the film's own... exceedingly rare for any script these days. It's a freeflowing and natural film that has a tight story and purpose. And the performances are nuanced, rich and engaging, especially from Lerman and Miller.

• Like 1