A Marvel Fanboy

Flopped Actors/Actresses Thread

Nicola Peltz is a flop. If you are scratching your heads to remember who that is, it`s the fuckin terrible tweenage actress from TLA. MNS threatened Universal that he wouldn`t direct TLA if she wasn`t cast. Uni, unfortunately, agreed to his diva demand. She hasn`t been heard from since critical pans.

Gretchen Moll fits your definition to a T. She was awarded the coveted Vanity Fair cover when she was still a nobody and never got further from that. That was one of most famous VF blunders that is always referenced when they award the cover to very new and very unproven actors.

I remember Gretchen Mol literally being called Hollywood's "it girl". Not sure what happened to her career. She had the Weinsteins backing her but yet she went nowhere.

Neve Campbell is a good example of a flopped actress. She was sexy as hell. I fantasized about her so much when I was younger. I had her FHM shoot all over my walls. But anyway, yeah, ummm, she starred in Scream, and she was good, then the 3 sequels over the years, but she never really did anything else apart from rely on that franchise. Apart from her Party of Five days, I've not seen her in much else besides knowing she was in Wild Things and Studio 54. A true flop. Courteney Cox went on to do more TV (Cougar Town) and she had Friends, so she was safe from the flop pitfall.

In fact, a few from Scream could be referred to as flops: Skeet Ulrich, Jamie Kennedy, and David Arquette (best thing he did was marrying Courteney Cox). One that I forgot about until now is Sarah Michelle Gellar, not just a Scream victim, but also an I Know What You Did Last Summer victim. She was supposed to be a big star and apart from on TV with Buffy, she never got there in films. She has done films since that time, but she was supposed to be the next big thing. I don't know, what do you guys think about SMG?

Lee Evans could be another one. I remember after Mouse Hunt that he was propelled to be the next comedic star, and that never panned out. I love Lee Evans' comedy, and while he is still big in the UK, it's only in stand-up, not in films since 1997. Well, he did do a Jackie Chan team-up movie called The Medallion, but nobody saw it.

Then there's Kenan & Kel who had Good Burger then vanished only to be seen again in Snakes on a Plane, though only one of them was present. Big flops.

Another Scream victim, Matthew Lillard, never hear of him anymore. Wow, and Rose McGowan. Just take a look at Scream's cast list to answer this thread's question.

The only one to escape that curse is Tim Olyphant and Drew Barrymore, and not by that much.

• Like 2

Adrien Brody isn't doing so good either. A great Midnight in Paris-cameo he hasn't been in anything remarkable in years

He won a Best Actor Oscar. That alone disqualifies him from being a flop. His career simply faded away.

Matthew Lilliard was the one that shocked me. He was so good in Scream. I really can't figure out why he didn't go on to do big things. He had a small role in Clooney's last picture and he is in Trouble with the Curve, so maybe he is making a comeback.

• Like 1

A lot of film actors do turn to TV, Laurence Fishburne did CSI for two and a half seasons, Glenn Close did Damages and Dennis Quaid is in Vegas. To me going to TV isn't mean you're a flop especially as it pays just as well if not more than film and many actors do both like Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren etcChris O'Donnell did a lot of TV either as guest stars or pilots before NCIS Los Angeles and I imagine it pays very well and give him security, same applies to Gary Sinise, he took on CSI: NY for the same reason.

• Like 1

He won a Best Actor Oscar. That alone disqualifies him from being a flop. His career simply faded away.

Does winning an Oscar really disqualify you from flop status?There's a lot of surprise Oscar winners who ended up doing nothing with their career.I'd even argue Jennifer Hudson. She has done jack since winning an Oscar and she really hit the jackpot with that one. Yeah she's in the news but she's known for her singing (does she have any hit records?), a weight loss spokeswoman, and a tragedy with her family.

A lot of film actors do turn to TV, Laurence Fishburne did CSI for two and a half seasons, Glenn Close did Damages and Dennis Quaid is in Vegas. To me going to TV isn't mean you're a flop especially as it pays just as well if not more than film and many actors do both like Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren etcChris O'Donnell did a lot of TV either as guest stars or pilots before NCIS Los Angeles and I imagine it pays very well and give him security, same applies to Gary Sinise, he took on CSI: NY for the same reason.

I feel like doing TV is the closest thing to having a stable, normal job as it gets in Hollywood. Especially for someone like say Mariska Hargitay or David Caruso, those guys have been going to the same set for 10+ years, playing the same character, making great money. It must be like another day at the office for them.
  • Like 2

Matthew Lilliard was the one that shocked me. He was so good in Scream. I really can't figure out why he didn't go on to do big things. He had a small role in Clooney's last picture and he is in Trouble with the Curve, so maybe he is making a comeback.

Beat me to it, why can't either of us remember the name of that pic? It was half decent too :lol:
  • Like 1