Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

Maybe it's because I'm not American but I really don't get Oprah? She seems like a really annoying person.

Oprah's popularity came about because she was the one talk show host that would cry with her guests. She was very relatable.

She was an inspiration to a lot of women of all colors and backgrounds. It's funny that now she is so rich and famous and seems to have become the total opposite of what gained her popularity in the first place.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2

I'm so glad the reviews I've been reading have been mentioning Louis. Fuck everyone else, I can tell he's gonna be my favourite part of the cast already.

I haven't read any reviews but there's no way a

Bradley Cooper/Louie CK fight scene

can be anything short of amazing

• Like 2

I'm not American but I "get" Oprah. She's the ultimate rags-to-riches story, a woman who was never handed anything but worked hard and overcame plenty of obstacles to earn her success. In an industry dominated by old white men she, a black woman, rose to be one of the most powerful figures. People are in awe of that, people are inspired by that, she's a trail blazer. She projects an image of warmth and compassion and thoughtfulness that celebrity interviewees and her demographic of middle-aged female viewers respond to. And despite now being filthy stinking rich she knows how to still present herself as "one of the people", only ever really displaying her wealth through philanthropy so her audience never felt they could no longer relate to her or empathise with her. I never watched her talk show - I'm wayyy too young to be a part of her demographic - and I find her personality to be at times fake/condescending/annoying and I found her performance in The Butler to be the very definition of "overrated". But still I look at all she's accomplished and can't help but respect the hell out of her.

• Like 6

You dont have to like Oprah personally, but i respect the hell out her too. The empire that she built is just incredible and her charity, philanthropy throughout the world.  An inspiration to many young people out there that they can make it too through hard work, drive and determination. If she wins the Oscar over Jlaw and Lupita, it wont be because of her performance, which was nothing special. 

• Like 1

Renner was oozing charisma in The Hurt Locker and most of his performances in Indie movies like 12 and Holding are good. I don't blame him for sleepwalking in MCU, hell, his character was literally written as a sleepwalking goon for most part of TA!

I think there are a lot of actors who are good in smaller movies and they should stick to those kind of roles. Colin Farrell, Ryan Reynolds and Renner are good in smaller character driven movies but they lack the charisma to lead big movies. Some people have it while others don't. Keanu Reeves is one of those guys who can make as many big budget movie as he wants. He gets a lot of hate/ridicule for his acting but his screen presence is second to none in big movies. Will Smith, Tom Cruise, .... It is a very short list.

• Like 1

I think there are a lot of actors who are good in smaller movies and they should stick to those kind of roles. Colin Farrell, Ryan Reynolds and Renner are good in smaller character driven movies but they lack the charisma to lead big movies. Some people have it while others don't. Keanu Reeves is one of those guys who can make as many big budget movie as he wants. He gets a lot of hate/ridicule for his acting but his screen presence is second to none in big movies. Will Smith, Tom Cruise, .... It is a very short list.

Keanu Reeves plays a really good bad guy.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I'm not American but I really don't get Oprah? She seems like a really annoying person.

I never watched her show even though my cousin made appearance on it. I was like a baby when he was on it so I never gotten around to watching the video. 

Ok may I just say...this movie was excellent, fantastic, just through and through good.

Entertaining plot, great comedy, great drama, and just knock-out performances.  Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner, heck Louis CK...everyone was just in top form.  Also

Robert De Niro

was awesome.  I spoilered that cause I didn't know...they were in the movie.

I didn't include Amy Adams cause let me say she knocked it out the damn park and even with all the great acting going on she stood out even more.  She was my favorite...I smell some Oscar gold.

I really liked this movie...I could see it playing well for audiences too...whether this will do Silver Lining type money I don't know...but it damn well should.

And as a special treat I got a Q&A with David O Russell at my screening (plus some of his key crew), didn't even know that was coming.  He was a good listen.

I highly recommend this movie.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 7