Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

Interesting that they are projecting a run more similar to The Fighter rather than SLP. I think it will be the opposite. DOR has been building a brand with the moviegoing public over the last few years and they recognize the quality by now - even moreso now that he's combining the casts of his two biggest films, and with America's golden girl getting serious Oscar buzz once again - in a fun looking movie - I think this can match and even exceed SLP.

Yes. SLP's cliched third act drags it down. The Fighter is a solid, strong movie. Shutter Island however is Scorsese letting loose for pure genre thrills and fun and DiCaprio powers through.

Marty, Da Berg, Coens, Tarantino, Bigelow, Fincher, etc > O. Russell

You think Shutter Island is better more power to you, but it was pretty weak and generic genre stuff like you said.  HIs leo movies are no where close to his Masterpieces with DeNiro.   So that's why i say Russell over current Marty.  Russell is in his peak/prime.  Not so with Marty, same with Da BErg. 

Edited by Max De Costa

O. Russell is on a big roll sure Max, but Scorsese has rebounded big from his malaise of the late-90s to early aughts. He is definitely not in decline.

He's even said himself lately that he's making movies half the time for financiers and such.   Talking about how he has only a couple left and he misses the time when he could experiment more or that time has come and gone etc.  I wish i had a link to the interview im completely paraphrasing here lol

But to be clear im not saying Russell over Marty overall.  That would be ridiculous.  I just think Russell right now is pumping them out at a higher quality. 

You think Shutter Island is better more power to you, but it was pretty weak and generic genre stuff like you said.  HIs leo movies are no where close to his Masterpieces with DeNiro.   So that's why i say Russell over current Marty.  Russell is in his peak/prime.  Not so with Marty, same with Da BErg. 

I was really let down by Shutter Island.  I loved the book and ended up falling asleep during the movie.