Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

In her defense it's not like there are a ton of meaty parts for women in these sorts of productions. Look at how shallow the Best Actress pool typically is versus the Best Actor pool. It's not because the talent isn't out there

I am not denying that at all but a lot of people wonder why she has so many nominations and no win. The answer is that she picks projects instead of picking roles. Here are her last dozen or so roles from IMDB. See how few true leading roles she has done.

American Hustle

Sydney Prosser

2013 Her

Amy

2011 The Muppets

Mary

2010 Love & Distrust (Video)

Charlotte Brown (segment: "Pennies" by Warner Loughlin)

2010 Leap Year

Anna

2009 Moonlight Serenade (Video)

Chloe

2008/I Doubt

Sister James

2008 Sunshine Cleaning

Rose

Fun facts :

- Sony is so selling this as a Jlaw vehicle, even if she is a supporting character.

- Jlaw has done very few promotion for this movie compared to the other 4 big cast emembers and DOR because she is way deep into Mockinjays's filming.

- I don't think she will campaign a lot in early 2014 for this movie because of Mockingjay and probably because she already has the statue and won't have the energy to do what she did in early 2013.

- And Yet, her performance is the one getting the strongest notices ( even if other actors are praised tow) among an all star cast.

- She very well could be the only Oscar nominee for American Hustle because of the circumstances in the other categories.

- It is Jlaw's world, we are merely living in it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Nobody's a bigger Jennifer Lawrence fan than I am, but I saw a screening and thought she overacted a bit in this. 

Her best performance is still in Winter's Bone, imo.

In what scene did she overact? Honest question. I've seen a couple (not many) critics call her performance "too" big, and other than the Live and Let Die scene (which I loved, but I can see how some people could argue it's too big) she really wasn't OTT at all.

• Like 1

Comedy and overracting go hand in hand for me so I don't see it as a flaw, you have to bring the crazy to get the fun out of character.

Thats the precise reason why these type of performances ( the obvious comedic ones) rarely getting acting honors.

Crying and looking constipated is more considered good acting among cinephiles

Very interesting. I'm guessing someones already posted the story but this was on Yahoo front page so I had to post it. I havent seen the gif posted.

Posted Image

Whatever happen to "if it aint broke, dont fix it"?

Edited by Jandrew

Nobody's a bigger Jennifer Lawrence fan than I am, but I saw a screening and thought she overacted a bit in this. 

havent seen AH but smth tells me Id feel the same

WB is very speacial both as a fil & as a performance

I loved Winter's Bone - it's been on TV a lot lately so hopefully more people will check it out.

The reviews for AH continue to be pretty amazing.  The Jlaw fawning in 90% of them is borderline embarrassing though.  It's almost impossible for her to live up to the hype.

That airbrushung is pretty tame by magazine standards. Most go as far as slimming a nose, making eyes further apart or lengthening legs.

The J-Law circle jerk is getting a tad tiresome, I must admit - not that it's her fault. By all accounts she's not even in the movie that much, so I hope people don't go in with the wrong idea based on the marketing.

• Like 1

I loved Jennifer's acting in Winters Bone but didn't enjoy the movie that much. I loved her acting in The Burning Plain much more. As far as that pic goes. Meh. It's not even a whole lot of airbrushing. I do fear the inevitable backlash. I think she can handle it though. She seems to be pretty grounded.