Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

Comedy and overracting go hand in hand for me so I don't see it as a flaw, you have to bring the crazy to get the fun out of character.

Thats the precise reason why these type of performances ( the obvious comedic ones) rarely getting acting honors.

Crying and looking constipated is more considered good acting among cinephiles

Well give it to Jennifer in Catching Fire.  Brought me to tears like 3 or 4 times.  And I'm a man.

Interesting fact about SLP, it never had a weekend over $11M. Its $130M gross makes it look like a typical grosser - open in the $30's or $40's and go from there, but in reality it had a pretty spread out and limited audience every weekend. Not many movies today can say that. Barely any actually. TKS is similar, but its an outlier gross pattern today.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

Apparently this is meant to be very funny, I didn't find it funny at all and neither did the 100 other people in the cinema. Very few laughs from the audience.

The impression I got from reviews was that it was more like a period dramedy than a comedy. I'm won't be going in expecting to laugh the whole time.

Either way, if there's a backlash I won't be too surprised. The reviews did seem unusually positive for a film that, by all accounts, is pure surface.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

The impression I got from reviews was that it was more like a period dramedy than a comedy. I'm won't be going in expecting to laugh the whole time.

Either way, if there's a backlash I won't be too surprised. The reviews did seem unusually positive for a film that, by all accounts, is pure surface.

Exactly, first time I saw the trailers it looks like serious drama.  But people said its comedy.  But now as you said its a mix of both.  And not to be taken to seriously anyways.  As the reviewers said, some of it actually happened.  Bet the real one would have been boring as hell if they followed that.

The biggest problem is it's quite hard to become emotionally invested in any of the characters except Polito, who has the least screen time of the big five. Also, the romance at the center of the film (Bale and Adams) is a little undercooked in my opinion. 

It's still a very good film due to whip-smart dialogue and great individual scenes, but as a whole it simply didn't click enough for me to fall in love with it.