Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Maybe they already know how its doing.  When they announced WW84 was going to HBO Max, they probably saw a massive amount of new subscriptions.

Nothing else they’re releasing is even close to the value that WW1984 is though. They should have tried it with Godzilla or Matrix as well before commuting all the way. 

18 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yes, Disney trumps everything both at the box office and in terms of brand/library appeal to the average consumer. No question about that. 

I just feel like AT&T put together a pretty half-assed launch for HBO Max. An example of missing content: how about items like Batman: The Animated Series? Best cartoon ever and the bastards failed to include it so far. In terms of classic movies, you would have a really hard time beating Warner's archives. But so far they have only put the really obvious stuff out there like Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc. How about unleashing all of it, whether it's superhero stuff or the classic Warner films? 

At the very least they should have launched with a Wizarding World show similar to how Disney launched with Mandalorian. But they were in such a rush to catch up they tripped themselves face first into a pile of cow shit. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Disney has a worldwide service. Not every country ofc but the major ones have been covered. They can realistically pull it off. And now they don’t get the negative PR of being the first to “kill theaters”. 

business wise I think it’s the right move. PR wise they just played into the hand of their rival I think.

Just because they weren't the first, doesn't mean they won't get a crapton of negative PR lmao.

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB and Netflix are two very different studios that operate differently. When you sign up for a Netflix project, there's a backend deal that makes up for the fact that it won't be a traditional release. With WB, the expectation is that the movie will be a big theatrical release with box office numbers reported and are expected to get a portion of that money. Any changes in those plans would require contract renegotiations most of the time, and given that it's reported that the people involved in these 16 movies that have now had their release plans altered didn't know what would happen until yesterday, it's safe to say they will have to.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Contracts will be changed to suit both parties. Why would this mean that "no one will ever want to work for WB again?"

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just because they weren't the first, doesn't mean they won't get a crapton of negative PR lmao.

I don’t think they will. They have a legitimate streaming platform ready to take on Netflix. Something that will never be the case for HBO. It isn’t a joke when Disney does this. just look at how investors are evaluating them now. Disney is at an all time high with half its company shuttered because of streaming.

For Warner it’s comically bad because HBO Max has had such a disastrous launch and is available in one country right now. 

yea sure, people will rail against it. But it doesn’t come with the sense of comedic “WTF”. 

with Disney it’s more of an oh shit brace yourselves “WTF”

15 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Contracts will be changed to suit both parties. Why would this mean that "no one will ever want to work for WB again?"

That that would be if they didn't pay up (and gave a proverbial middle finger to a whole bunch of talent in the process). Considering they just said "surprise" to all the people who made those movies (as opposed to already having the new deals in place for the people behind Wonder Woman before that announcement was made), it's safe to say this was a spur of the moment decision they didn't put a whole lot of thought into.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

I don’t think they will. They have a legitimate streaming platform ready to take on Netflix. Something that will never be the case for HBO. It isn’t a joke when Disney does this. just look at how investors are evaluating them now. Disney is at an all time high with half its company shuttered because of streaming.

For Warner it’s comically bad because HBO Max has had such a disastrous launch and is available in one country right now. 

yea sure, people will rail against it. But it doesn’t come with the sense of comedic “WTF”. 

with Disney it’s more of an oh shit brace yourselves “WTF”

Dude, not everyone thinks Disney is the greatest lmao. Just because Disney has a legitimate streaming platform doesn't mean they won't get negative PR from exhibitors for doing the same thing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dude, not everyone thinks Disney is the greatest lmao. Just because Disney has a legitimate streaming platform doesn't mean they won't get negative PR from exhibitors for doing the same thing.

I’m not talking about exhibitors lol. They matter the least now. They’re the middleman getting getting cut out. They’ll say whatever they have to to stay relevant as desperate entities do. 

I’m talking if the general public who saw this announcement and thought “wait what is HBO Max”. That is not the case for Disney. So long as they don’t paywall every single movie behind Premier, they’ll get far fewer people laughing at them. 

I don’t know what problem it is you have with Disney, perhaps their service being successful as it is, but let’s look at what is objectively happening. Streaming is Disney’s future. That means the most important content will go to streaming. And Disney is a much much more formidable streamer than Warner/HBO. 

you seem to be taking this as a personal attack on what you like. Nobody’s attacking that. 

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

you seem to be taking this as a personal attack on what you like. Nobody’s attacking that. 

Where did I? You seem to be taking any negative talk about Disney as an attack on you for some reason though (no one else I've seen here coming out to defend them like this).

And you seem to be confusing Wall Street with the general public. I can't even seem to find anyone who's laughing here. Most people seem to be either pissed or dissapointed that a major studio is making this decision.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Where did I? You seem to be taking any negative talk about Disney as an attack on you for some reason though (no one else I've seen here coming out to defend them like this).

And you seem to be confusing Wall Street with the general public. 

I listed Wall Street separately because I wasn’t including them in the general public. 

you are simply being very hostile over a simple opinion. And now you’re trying to accuse me of being defensive when you’ve been nothing but hostile. You’re clearly upset by this situation or what I said because it doesn’t line with your worldview. 

you’re going to have to learn to adjust how you deal with people who disagree with you in trivial manners. Who cares if I am the only one in here speaking on Disney’s defense if they move. It seems as if you are waiting as some sort of outrage sentinel against anyone and everyone who isn’t against the streaming move. 

this is not the first time you’ve been hostile against me either. 

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I listed Wall Street separately because I wasn’t including them in the general public. 

you are simply being very hostile over a simple opinion. And now you’re trying to accuse me of being defensive when you’ve been nothing but hostile. You’re clearly upset by this situation or what I said because it doesn’t line with your worldview. 

you’re going to have to learn to adjust how you deal with people who disagree with you in trivial manners. Who cares if I am the only one in here speaking on Disney’s defense if they move. It seems as if you are waiting as some sort of outrage sentinel against anyone and everyone who isn’t against the streaming move. 

this is not the first time you’ve been hostile against me either. 

You're the one who said I was attacking you when I wasn't. And are you OdeonWay on reddit? 

I didn’t see anyone laugh at WB for this. It’s either frustration or complete shock.

Anyone who has ever used any hbo service knows how much better the quality is on it then any other streamer currently offers.

I can’t  say what will happen in the future but for anyone to completely dismiss max and it’s potential seems strange to me but we’ll see I guess once they finally launch worldwide. 

Not sure it was mentioned here but it's been confirmed that they didn't consult with Legendary (who they produced Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong with) before the decision was announced.

Warner Bros. Smashes Box Office Windows, Will Send Entire 2021 Slate to HBO Max and Theaters | Hollywood Reporter

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You're the one who said I was attacking you when I wasn't. And are you OdeonWay on reddit? 

I haven’t posted on reddit in years so no (not since I discover red this forum). I suggest you either ignore my presence or become tolerant because of this annoys you this much...well I’m not going anywhere 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not sure it was mentioned here but it's been confirmed that they didn't consult with Legendary (who they produced Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong with) before the decision was announced.

Warner Bros. Smashes Box Office Windows, Will Send Entire 2021 Slate to HBO Max and Theaters | Hollywood Reporter

I don’t understand how they could’ve done this without Legendary’s permission. Legendary are the ones who have a majority stake in GvK and Dune. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I haven’t posted on reddit in years so no (not since I discover red this forum). I suggest you either ignore my presence or become tolerant because of this annoys you this much...well I’m not going anywhere 

All I first said was that Disney will get negative PR. And then you said something about the general public laughing and called my comment an attack. Don't know how you took that as an attack in the first place. If me saying negative stuff about Disney (like I have for other studios) sounds like attacks to you, you can ignore my presence too.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

All I first said was that Disney will get negative PR. And then you said something about the general public laughing and called my comment an attack. Don't know how you took that as an attack in the first place. If me saying negative stuff about Disney (like I have for other studios) sounds like attacks to you, you can ignore my presence too.

Using phrases like “dude lmao” is definitely hostile. Your opinions don’t grate on me because it’s not that serious but mine seem to have some sort of profound personal affect in you. I’ll respond so long as you keep responding to me