Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I love when people talk about going back to normal....No, there will be normalcy in most life aspects but technological trends that accelerated will still pursue their growth: streaming is gonna be stronger than ever, it's not a temporary thing as it was already growing before Covid.

It's a longterm thing.

People are laughing at this but it’s true. It’s the same way a lot of businesses are discussing continuing to do work from home to save on office space.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean the video isn't a trailer where people had to watch it to know what everyone is talking about. HBO Max was on top of twitter's trending page in the US for a couple of hours and was the 2nd most searched term of the day on Google so I think enough people are aware of the deal. 

That’s more what I was implying, I don’t think the video has much relevance towards how much people are aware of Hbomax now or not. I saw hbomax trend most of the day also  but either way as I said in my other post, if they can’t capitalize in the states with what they’ve offered then there’s no helping them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I love when people talk about going back to normal....No, there will be normalcy in most life aspects but technological trends that accelerated will still pursue their growth: streaming is gonna be stronger than ever, it's not a temporary thing as it was already growing before Covid.

It's a longterm thing.

If cinemas can survive world war 2 they will survive this. Streaming will continue to grow but to suggest there will be no going back to normality really is exaggerating. Countries like New Zealand have already started going back to normal.

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Seriously, lol. Why did they rush this? I think whatever troubles they have Legendary and their other partners will be fixed, but this all could've been avoided if they just waited a few more weeks and renegotiated deals with their partners earlier. I'm pretty sure this will cause huge trust issues with creatives the studios had worked with in the past too. If they're going to do a stupid pivot like this, they could've at least done it more competently.

• Like 2

The why is obvious: HBO Max is desperate for subs since they failed to convert the people who get HBO and get Max for free. Instead of focusing on, you know, fixing that, they decided to completely overhaul the business strategy of all of WB to try to help it.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 5

It really sounds like WB woke up on Thursday and just said "fuck it, everything must go." Not at all a surprise the people involved in these movies (some of which are still in post or, in the case of the Eastwood movie, still being made at this moment) are really ticked off right now.

Feels like we haven't seen this level of industry backlash since the Academy tried to pull that Popular Oscar bullshit two years ago.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yup, and the PR hit they're about to take from this suit is gonna hurt, especially if they somehow have to take Dune and Kong off Max.

Yeah... WB seems to be run a lot worse than any of the other majors. A shame, since they have the most diversified output by far.

47 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The why is obvious: HBO Max is desperate for subs since they failed to convert the people who get HBO and get Max for free. Instead of focusing on, you know, fixing that, they decided to completely overhaul the business strategy of all of WB to try to help it.

I'm not talking about why they did it, because it's clear why. I'm talking about why they did it with now, with no planning. They could've easily planned this eariler and renegotiated deals first. It seems like they just wanted to get ahead of Disney.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

Here’s a link to the article if anyone wants to read it, there’s some info about Disney+ As well.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/warnermedia-legendary-challenge-dune-godzilla-vs-kong-streamer-battles-looming-1234651283/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This situation is such a mess for WB, AT&T really destroyed the studio imo, It’s really disappointing cause as @TMP said the diversity of their movies was always their strong point and what made them

unique. 

I don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel here cause I feel like they’ve burnt a lot of bridges making these decisions.

All they had to do was speak to the talent before hand and make sure they all knew. This is just a really bad look. Again, I blame Stankey the most here, it’s obviously all coming from him.

• Like 6

Also in the Deadline article:

I’m told there are three other films that have a right to believe movies they majority financed are being served up to provide a steroid shot to HBO Max’s paid subscriber base by undoing deals that were made for theatrical release and the traditional revenue waterfall.

Legendary Challenge WarnerMedia Over ‘Dune’ & Godzilla Vs. Kong?’ – Deadline

This could get ugly. Guessing In the Heights is definitely one of them (given LMM's power).

I’m sure they’re just gonna end up paying everyone off and all these movies will release on max still. The issue going forward is no one will trust them but if other Hollywood studios follow suit then talent won’t have many options. 

• Like 3

Yeah, exactly. I don't see any problems with their current releases (I think WB concede to Legendary's demands and anyone else who has a problem), but this will certainly affect anything in the future since the trust has been destroyed. I personally think Legendary is going to move to Netflix next.

• Like 1