Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.com/?qs=31142191f044c63619ae2818d7a1f59c5a83ec697caa19a1039bc6b21bfb6acaec368523a1ad07003338c2d54023c1a41f6f830434b13081d76bb206c46fbc5fdb82f965d939d38b

And finally, here's a fun little item to chew on as we close out this edition and send you onward into the weekend ...

On Wednesday, Warner Bros. Discovery chief David Zaslav and Steven Spielberg were having lunch at Warner Bros. commissary. Not a bad power lunch, right? But then, Christopher Nolan, eating nearby, comes over to hang after his lunch wrapped. AND THEN, new co-head of DC Studios Peter Safran walked in and got to meet the whole gang. (If only our mic in the Cobb salad hadn't shorted out!)  

• Like 5

21 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

David Zaskav and Bob Chapek really need to know when to keep their mouths shut. 

THIS.

Chapek has a problem that the head of Disney is the face of the corporation ,and it has been that way since the days of Walt.

The head of Warners in not exepcted to be the face of the company the way the head of Disney is.

Zaslec and just take a back seat in PR if he wants to, Chapek really does not have that option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

I checked out midway through Season 2...and never looked back.  

Same . First  season is one of the best seasons of tv imo .second season was dissapointing adding to that season 3 was already released and it was worst recieved. By episode 5 was like why bother continuing ,it sucks and season 3 was reportedly worse . 

Never seen a show  waste such a great premise and story.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, Cappoedameron said:

Oh Zaslav this is gonna really help your public image indeed...

The Twitter people will hate him, but the general audience won’t really care that he’s working with JK Rowling. I want more Wizarding World content so I’m happy 

9 minutes ago, El Gato said:

The Twitter people will hate him, but the general audience won’t really care that he’s working with JK Rowling. I want more Wizarding World content so I’m happy 

Problem is more Dan/Emma than Twitter crowd, I think it would take a lot to get them to work with something that JK is heavily involved in again. 

Dan reconfirmed his criticism of JK only a few days ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/daniel-radcliffe-defends-speaking-out-against-j-k-rowling-controversial-comments/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Problem is more Dan/Emma than Twitter crowd, I think it would take a lot to get them to work with something that JK is heavily involved in again. 

Dan reconfirmed his criticism of JK only a few days ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/daniel-radcliffe-defends-speaking-out-against-j-k-rowling-controversial-comments/

Yeah that’ll be a problem that I don’t see being fixed anytime soon. I’m guessing Zaslav will just reboot? And re do the series, this time closer to the books? I mean it has been 20+ years since the first film… plenty of time for a reboot… 

22 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Yeah that’ll be a problem that I don’t see being fixed anytime soon. I’m guessing Zaslav will just reboot? And re do the series, this time closer to the books? I mean it has been 20+ years since the first film… plenty of time for a reboot… 

Maybe but given how beloved the films are that seems fairly risky.

If WBD didn’t have a bunch of debt, I could have seen a Lucasfilm style big deal for full rights to Harry Potter but alas. 

Also not sure how much Zaslav is willing to spend up on films yet, Superman will be interesting to see who they get as a director, if it is McQuarrie (god I hope so) or someone of that stature I think a Harry Potter 8 (or 9) would be more likely (though still difficult) 

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

The general public might not, but the problem is convincing the cast to return when they:

1. Have moved on from that chapter in their careers

2. Want nothing to do with Rowling 

7 hours ago, El Gato said:

There’s no way they’re going to reboot the movies. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

There will be a one or two-part "old age" finale with the original cast before there is a reboot...  Or at least they will make every attempt to score the cast for that sometime within the next 10 years.  But it still will never be quite the same without Robbie Coltrane and Alan Rickman.  

20 hours ago, cax16 said:

https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.com/?qs=31142191f044c63619ae2818d7a1f59c5a83ec697caa19a1039bc6b21bfb6acaec368523a1ad07003338c2d54023c1a41f6f830434b13081d76bb206c46fbc5fdb82f965d939d38b

And finally, here's a fun little item to chew on as we close out this edition and send you onward into the weekend ...

On Wednesday, Warner Bros. Discovery chief David Zaslav and Steven Spielberg were having lunch at Warner Bros. commissary. Not a bad power lunch, right? But then, Christopher Nolan, eating nearby, comes over to hang after his lunch wrapped. AND THEN, new co-head of DC Studios Peter Safran walked in and got to meet the whole gang. (If only our mic in the Cobb salad hadn't shorted out!)  

People (including the HR journalist writing this) are ignoring the obvious here: What is NOLAN doing having a lunch at WARNER BROS.?  *Someone* is trying to woo him back...  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Macleod said:

People (including the HR journalist writing this) are ignoring the obvious here: What is NOLAN doing having a lunch at WARNER BROS.?  *Someone* is trying to woo him back...  

He’s directing the next Superman movie. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Potiki said:

Maybe but given how beloved the films are that seems fairly risky.

If WBD didn’t have a bunch of debt, I could have seen a Lucasfilm style big deal for full rights to Harry Potter but alas. 

Also not sure how much Zaslav is willing to spend up on films yet, Superman will be interesting to see who they get as a director, if it is McQuarrie (god I hope so) or someone of that stature I think a Harry Potter 8 (or 9) would be more likely (though still difficult) 

or maybe they can do a series on the marauders (Harry’s parents generation) and the Order of the Phoenix. I think that’d be an interesting series of films. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

or maybe they can do a series on the marauders (Harry’s parents generation) and the Order of the Phoenix. I think that’d be an interesting series of films. 

Go further back - I'd love the origin of the "big 4" to be done on screen - it could almost be like Marvel.  A movie per wizard, and then the team up that has them create the school.

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

There will be a one or two-part "old age" finale with the original cast before there is a reboot...  Or at least they will make every attempt to score the cast for that sometime within the next 10 years.  But it still will never be quite the same without Robbie Coltrane and Alan Rickman.  

The problem is that there’s no guarantee people like Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson would come back as long as Rowling is involved. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 3:02 PM, Cappoedameron said:

yeshaha-sickos2.gif

Anything Bad Robot getting axed is good.

11 hours ago, JWR said:

The general public might not, but the problem is convincing the cast to return when they:

1. Have moved on from that chapter in their careers

2. Want nothing to do with Rowling 

I remember when JK Rowling was seen as this tough noble outspoken warrior on politics for many years(especially women's issues) until about 2015 when the whole trans thing started going mainstream.  Oh how times change.

Its such a weird hill to die on and because of that there's always going to be a certain degree of stigma associated with Harry Potter.  As Corlys Velaryon said, 'what is this brief mortal life but the pursuit of legacy?'  Well, yours is damaged goods now.

It doesn't really affect me personally because I've never been into Harry Potter(tried watching the series a few times) and I've always been able to separate the art from the artist unlike many people—but I imagine this shit must be really frustrating for Potterheads.

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Never say never.  I don't put anything above moneygrubbing Hollywood these days.  They are utterly dependent on lucrative IPs now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The problem is that there’s no guarantee people like Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson would come back as long as Rowling is involved. 

Nothing's ever a guarantee in life.  I said the studio will make every *attempt* to do it.