Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Truth be told, I don't think Gunn and co. can truly commit one way or another until they see how The Flash & Aquabro 2 perform. If those films are well-received and success, it isn't like they can just move on from them. 

They basically need to develop 2 paths, 1 building on them the success of those films and 1 that sprints in a different direction should those films fail one way or another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Btw guys do you think Superman's movie potential is limited? Like even if the movie got great reviews it won't gross more than $1B?

Right now, util things change, it would be tough. THE BATMAN not even hitting $800m is insane. Pre-Covid no doubt that film is over $1 billion.

If conditions become more favorable for theatrical? Of course it could.

16 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Terrible start for Gunn and Safran. They might be good with comics, but not very smart when it comes to human relationships. Dictatorship is never a good model. This has been a terrible week for DC, only negativity spreading.

Please explain exactly how Gunn could have better worded any responses he made over the last week.  He can't protect things leaking out, and they are just...possibilities and scenarios until something concrete is announced.  I think he responded with as much respect and nuance as he could considering the unusual situation.  

11 hours ago, excel1 said:

The HR article is horrendous for PR given the sheer terribleness of the ideas noted in the article. The outrage at moving on from Cavill at this point would be impossible to exaggerate. Superman isn't an overly popular character with this generation anyway. IF they wanted a full blown reboot, they needed to announce Cavill was all done months ago and forgo the BA cameo, etc. Instead, they announced his return and reaped tons of excitement and positive press. 

Moving on from Cavill NOW is not "we can't please everyone", it's mores "we're actively upsetting the vast majority of people". Major major mistake if it works out. 

No one "announced" Cavill's return except Cavill, himself, through his own social media, and the trades then went with it, and whatever development of a script idea was currently happening, until Gunn/Safran were hired.  Warner Bros./Discovery never "announced" anything about Superman or Cavill.  It sure seems now that ALL of the associated DC actors have been playing their best game of "strategic placement" to encourage their hard-core fans to ensure they remain in those roles for the time-being.  I'm not sure any of it's going to work.  I just don't think the world will split if Gunn/Safran go a different way with these characters.  Even losing Gadot would create a bigger conversation than losing Cavill...but her second movie bombed critically and arguably affected the brand...  Ultimately, people have short attention spans, and they will move on pretty quickly once you show them shiny, new pictures of a shiny, new cast.   

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Why would they wait until Comic Con 2024 to announce their plans? That’s ridiculous. 

It is but it's a no win situation because what becomes of next year's four DC Films of they go out and announce all their new plans? Those films are hung out to dry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Please explain exactly how Gunn could have better worded any responses he made over the last week.  He can't protect things leaking out, and they are just...possibilities and scenarios until something concrete is announced.  I think he responded with as much respect and nuance as he could considering the unusual situation.  

No one "announced" Cavill's return except Cavill, himself, through his own social media, and the trades then went with it, and whatever development of a script idea was currently happening, until Gunn/Safran were hired.  Warner Bros./Discovery never "announced" anything about Superman or Cavill.  It sure seems now that ALL of the associated DC actors have been playing their best game of "strategic placement" to encourage their hard-core fans to ensure they remain in those roles for the time-being.  I'm not sure any of it's going to work.  I just don't think the world will split if Gunn/Safran go a different way with these characters.  Even losing Gadot would create a bigger conversation than losing Cavill...but her second movie bombed critically and arguably affected the brand...  Ultimately, people have short attention spans, and they will move on pretty quickly once you show them shiny, new pictures of a shiny, new cast.   

He was literally in their latest DC movie, in a post credits tease of the future.

How many people outside of Twitter even know there's a Flash movie coming out? We're 6 months away from its release and there's been no trailer or official first look since that "coming soon" preview from earlier this year.

The general public might not be aware of Ezra Miller but how long can you keep that on the down low during the press tour? How do Gunn, Safran, and Zaslav navigate through that minefield?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JWR said:

How many people outside of Twitter even know there's a Flash movie coming out? We're 6 months away from its release and there's been no trailer or official first look since that "coming soon" preview from earlier this year.

The general public might not be aware of Ezra Miller but how long can you keep that on the down low during the press tour? How do Gunn, Safran, and Zaslav navigate through that minefield?

You're contradicting yourself: 
On the one hand you say not many people knows anything about The Flash movie, and on the other you sa
"minefield" as if most people knows about Ezra's legal issues without knowing he's The Flash.
If a large portion of the public was exposed to Ezra's troubles, you can bet they know he's also gonna star as The Flash 
since every article mentioned it.

• Like 1

Just now, Ohana said:

You're contradicting yourself: 
On the one hand you say not many people knows anything about The Flash movie, and on the other you sa
"minefield" as if most people knows about Ezra's legal issues without knowing he's The Flash.
If a large portion of the public was exposed to Ezra's troubles, you can bet they know he's also gonna star as The Flash 
since every article mentioned it.

If it sounds contradictory, it's because this movie is a legitimate wild card at the moment. Both in terms of how it'll be promoted and how it performs. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

What are you basing this on? 

Our contemporary culture, of course.  And if angry Cavill/Gadot fans are planning on hashtagging Gunn/Zaslav/Warner Bros. to keep them, I really don't think it's going to have any positive affect, at this point.  Plus, that's not what Superman or Wonder Woman would do, anyway, right? 😁  They would move on with grace.  Snyder got extremely lucky during a period of chaos and upheaval with his ZSJL.  It's likely that Gunn/Safran will push a.s.a.p. to move on from these iterations into a newly-envisioned DC world.  

12 hours ago, Verrows said:

He was literally in their latest DC movie, in a post credits tease of the future.

Yes, a movie shepherded by The Rock and his Producers, and Michael DeLuca and Pamela Abdy, before Gunn/Safran were hired in their roles to shepherd a new DCU.  It's clear that everyone's fighting for their space.  But the movie greatly underperformed, anyway, so that doesn't help their case.  Sounds like Cavill's social media move was entirely his own.  Strategic, and a bold move...but things can change quickly in Hollywood, and they just have...again.  Rock's catchphrase during promotion may unfortunately haunt him.  

6 hours ago, JWR said:

Have you *seen* most Hollywood press tours/junkets lately? 😁  (OK, other than the "Don't Worry Darling" debacle, where the lid just popped off!)  Especially for superhero films?  They are safe, saccharine, and obviously edited to the max.  No real edge allowed anymore for branded I.P.s.  If Warner/Discovery/DC request "No Ezra Miller Questions if you want to be invited to the junket" then most of these people (most of whom are not even trained journalists anymore) will do it.  And that's what I expect to happen.  Even if Miller themself returns to interviews...unless they do a feature interview with one of the trades to "explain themselves," otherwise talks will *only* be about the movie.  

The fact that we're all here still talking about the DRAMA more than the movies is the key part of their problem, of course.  The easiest way to move on from all of that is to...move on from the entire cast.  I expect they will re-fashion FLASH and AQUAMAN into "grand finales" for the previous DC Universe (all signs already point to Keaton's appearance being scaled down to a one-off), and BLUE BEETLE will possibly, but not entirely guaranteed, be written into the new universe.  SHAZAM...the jury is still out...is creating a sequel with grandmas as the villains (all due respect to Hellen Mirren) really going to generate a bump from the first movie?  Gadot might simply end up a tragic casualty of a sequel flop and regime changes "for better business."  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Our contemporary culture, of course.  And if angry Cavill/Gadot fans are planning on hashtagging Gunn/Zaslav/Warner Bros. to keep them, I really don't think it's going to have any positive affect, at this point.  Plus, that's not what Superman or Wonder Woman would do, anyway, right? 😁  They would move on with grace.  Snyder got extremely lucky during a period of chaos and upheaval with his ZSJL.  It's likely that Gunn/Safran will push a.s.a.p. to move on from these iterations into a newly-envisioned DC world.  

Yes, a movie shepherded by The Rock and his Producers, and Michael DeLuca and Pamela Abdy, before Gunn/Safran were hired in their roles to shepherd a new DCU.  It's clear that everyone's fighting for their space.  But the movie greatly underperformed, anyway, so that doesn't help their case.  Sounds like Cavill's social media move was entirely his own.  Strategic, and a bold move...but things can change quickly in Hollywood, and they just have...again.  Rock's catchphrase during promotion may unfortunately haunt him.  

Have you *seen* most Hollywood press tours/junkets lately? 😁  (OK, other than the "Don't Worry Darling" debacle, where the lid just popped off!)  Especially for superhero films?  They are safe, saccharine, and obviously edited to the max.  No real edge allowed anymore for branded I.P.s.  If Warner/Discovery/DC request "No Ezra Miller Questions if you want to be invited to the junket" then most of these people (most of whom are not even trained journalists anymore) will do it.  And that's what I expect to happen.  Even if Miller themself returns to interviews...unless they do a feature interview with one of the trades to "explain themselves," otherwise talks will *only* be about the movie.  

The fact that we're all here still talking about the DRAMA more than the movies is the key part of their problem, of course.  The easiest way to move on from all of that is to...move on from the entire cast.  I expect they will re-fashion FLASH and AQUAMAN into "grand finales" for the previous DC Universe (all signs already point to Keaton's appearance being scaled down to a one-off), and BLUE BEETLE will possibly, but not entirely guaranteed, be written into the new universe.  SHAZAM...the jury is still out...is creating a sequel with grandmas as the villains (all due respect to Hellen Mirren) really going to generate a bump from the first movie?  Gadot might simply end up a tragic casualty of a sequel flop and regime changes "for better business."  

You’re making a lot of assumptions here, but I should just point out for the record that if we assume this to be the case, that would mean that Peacemaker isn’t getting a second season. 

If he's doing a full reboot, he waits until february-march of 2024 when aquaman 2 box office run is over to announce it or does he do it much earlier and just hope no entertainment outlet mentions that the 2023 releases lead nowhere which would deflate the box office which WBD can't afford

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

You’re making a lot of assumptions here, but I should just point out for the record that if we assume this to be the case, that would mean that Peacemaker isn’t getting a second season. 

Season 2 is not shooting yet, right?  I'd say there's no guarantees on anything re: any of these projects, even Gunn's own, considering all these major moves at Warner/Discovery since the summer.  Gunn is now in a position where he's an Executive over an entire I.P. slate -- that might trump (pardon) a personal project, since it sat in an old universe/previous executive structure -- but of course the show, by all indications, was a huge success, so if anything that will be why it continues at least one more season.  And yet HBOMAX as a brand may also be changing... My speculation (not assumption) remains that 2023 will be a "clean up, wipe up, close out" year for current DC film/media projects.  THE BATMAN and JOKER don't count, of course...

Edited by Macleod

18 hours ago, Macleod said:

No one "announced" Cavill's return except Cavill, himself, through his own social media,

1) The Rock announced it repeatedly.

2) Any casual reasonable person will interpret the fact that he has a cameo at all, after all the headless/fuzzy shots, to be mean he is back. 

18 hours ago, Macleod said:

Ultimately, people have short attention spans, and they will move on pretty quickly once you show them shiny, new pictures of a shiny, new cast.   

Disagree, each and every subpar quality film lowers the IPs brand equity and we have seen a million examples of this over the last 20 years since franchise and IP domination began. There are many examples of films where the IP would have better off without said film being made altogether than having the film made and then trying to live off of it afterwards. That seems to have been Hamada's thought process with Superman. Take Solider-Man. Spider-man 3 was not popular. But zero doubt a Mcguire led Spier-man 4 makes more money than TASM in 2012, for example. 

WB best course, TODAY, is clearly maximize success of FLASH and AQUA 2 + prepare better, higher quality films with Cavill and Gadot. I'm torn on Batman. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

If he's doing a full reboot, he waits until february-march of 2024 when aquaman 2 box office run is over to announce it or does he do it much earlier and just hope no entertainment outlet mentions that the 2023 releases lead nowhere which would deflate the box office which WBD can't afford

Yeah, I don't think he'll announce it if he's doing a reboot. I'm not sure if he'll actually go full reboot but you'd think that's at least gotta be on the table.

New Puck Newsletter from Matt Belloni with fresh ALLEGATIONS 

• WB think The Rock leaked the fake Black Adam numbers to Deadline
  • Henry Cavill announced he's back as Superman without actually having a deal to return
  • Gadot put out that tweet as a pre-emptive strike

Is anyone actually surprised that new DC heads Peter Safran and James Gunn have moved to remake the film slate? Fans went nuts over the rejection of Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 treatment, and the suggestion that Henry Cavill might not return as Superman. But this is the whole point of hiring an experienced superhero filmmaker like Gunn—he’s supposed to blow up the DC universe and, presumably, bring in fresh ideas and talent.

It’s more interesting how much these DC stars think they can manhandle (or Wonder Woman-handle) Warner Bros. in the media. Cavill made that big Instagram announcement proclaiming himself back as Superman despite not having a deal to return beyond that post-credit sequence in Black Adam, a movie that, given its performance, the new DC overlords likely will pretend doesn’t exist. And it’s curious, right before my pal Borys Kit broke the news that WW3 was on ice, Gal Godot used her own social feed to announce she “can’t wait to share her next chapter with you.” Message to Warners: I’m Wonder Woman, dammit, you hear me, new guys?

Amid all the reports of Black Adam losing money, Team Dwayne Johnson even took to leaking to Deadline and then tweeting a purported “ultimates” financial sheet—sorry, Johnson didn’t actually admit to leaking it, but several Warners executives sure think he did—claiming to show that Black Adam will make it into the black. Fantastic stuff. It was one of the sillier trade stories of all time, filled with false assumptions (only $100 million in worldwide marketing? OK…; no way does this movie get those home entertainment numbers given the audience rejection and short windows; interest rates are not 2 percent in this case; etc.). And long, long term, nearly all movies of this size will ultimately pencil out after every window is exhausted over years and years. That doesn’t mean it’s considered a worthwhile movie. But at least The Rock got a good tweet out of it.

It’s funny, this kind of stuff doesn’t happen at Marvel.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

To be blunt, if they're actually even remotely considering moving from Cavill and Gadot, they're extremely foolish. 

That man quit his other job as a lead on one of Netflix's most popular shows and tried to strong-arm his way back to Superman.

Recasting him now would be hilarious and I'm 100% on board.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2