Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

7 hours ago, JWR said:

No, Zack. They GOT it. They just didn't like it.

That's not what he said at all, the tweet is misleading. Here's the quote from their own article:

"I think, and maybe I’m wrong. but I feel like a lot of people went into the movies for going like, 'Oh, it’s the superhero romp, right? Let’s have fun with it,'" Snyder said. "And we gave them this sort of hardcore deconstructivist, heavily layered, experiential modern mythological superhero movie that needs…that you really need to pay attention to." He continued, "That was not cool [for them]. That’s not something anyone wanted to do. They were like, 'What? No! That’s exhausting. How about, why do they fight at night?' I hate that."

He didn't suggest people didn't understand, he said people were expecting a different thing.

And Zaslev will have another firestorm to deal with tommorow, since WB owns CNN. THe Trump townhall has become a shipwreck and the media critics will be on the ramapge tommorow.  This blatent attempt to grab Fox Viweres will probably backfire. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And Zaslev will have another firestorm to deal with tommorow, since WB owns CNN. THe Trump townhall has become a shipwreck and the media critics will be on the ramapge tommorow.  This blatent attempt to grab Fox Viweres will probably backfire. 

In no way do these shows allowing Trump to be himself help him or his cause with the suburban moderates he needs. The guy is mentally ill. The constant complaining about 2020 election is a horrific look. Nobody average every day moderate wants this clown show back on our TVs 24/7. 

Thinking Chris Christie, who Trump nearly killed due to cover recklessness, has been absolutely killing it on national media rounds as of late and, I think, is about utterly steamroll this guy on a debate stage more and more with each passing day. 

Edited by excel1

Early reaction to the town meeting is coming in, and Zaslev is being singled out as responsible for this fiasco. CNN image has been done permanent damage since the audience was so cleraly packed with Trump Supporters.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Early reaction to the town meeting is coming in, and Zaslev is being singled out as responsible for this fiasco. CNN image has been done permanent damage since the audience was so cleraly packed with Trump Supporters.

Will be forgotten in a week. 

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Will be forgotten in a week. 

I don't think so. CNN has alienated a lot of it's core viewers, and they won't pick up Fox viewers to compensate.

And the people who cover media now have Zaslev in their sights over this.Surprised how he taking the rap for this instead of Li cht.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't think so. CNN has alienated a lot of it's core viewers, and they won't pick up Fox viewers to compensate.

And the people who cover media now have Zaslev in their sights over this.Surprised how he taking the rap for this instead of Li cht.

CNN wants to be 'moderate', but the unregulated American cable news industry isn't News, it's Entertainment. All they had to do was tone their rhetoric down a bit but 'moderate' is boring. CNN has decided to continue to play to Left with sense defying passion, but with input from the most idiotic (and entertaining) factions on the RIght to add 'balance'. I don't think it'll last long.

Frankly I do not know how Americans can watch and take their television news channels seriously. They'd be better served getting their news from the plain-old boring BBC.

• Like 2

It’s completely idiotic that Zaslav would think CNN needs to pivot to appealing more to Trump voters. CNN already had a reputation for being more “moderate” compared to MSNBC, but straight up trying to be friendly with Donald Trump is just desperate. They’re not only alienating their existing base, but they’re not going to draw in the people who had been told for years that CNN is fake news propaganda. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

Since this is apparently a talk about CNN as a brand, I'll just flag this really interesting pew research poll about US opinions of various political news sources with lots of interesting additional links. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/journalism/2020/01/24/americans-are-divided-by-party-in-the-sources-they-turn-to-for-political-news/

On 5/11/2023 at 6:25 AM, WittyUsername said:

It’s completely idiotic that Zaslav would think CNN needs to pivot to appealing more to Trump voters. CNN already had a reputation for being more “moderate” compared to MSNBC, but straight up trying to be friendly with Donald Trump is just desperate. They’re not only alienating their existing base, but they’re not going to draw in the people who had been told for years that CNN is fake news propaganda. 

FOr once we agree. It is an idiotic move.

Ans Zasleve is taking a pasting over it. He is taking the heat fo rit, with Chris Licht, the actual head of CNN being dismissed as Zalsev's flunky.

He won't get the Fox Viewers long term..thinking of CNN as the Enemy is too ingrained in the.. that the Mainstream media of which CNN is the prime exambple is evil has been Fox News Line from day one, and othose angry over the firing of Tucker will go to NewsMax and OAN. All he had sone is alientate a lot of CNN core viewers, who will move to MSNBC.

Yes, The Town Hall will probably get a huge rating, but it is aone time bump and wil lnot gain them any new viewers long term, and probably lost them quite a few.

Already rumors that Zaslev is talking to Tucker Carlson..though I wonder if that would be to brazen for Zasleve. 

One thing, a lot of the staffers at CNN hate Zaslve's guts over this, and we will see lots of the details how the Town Hall/Trump Rally came about are going to be leaked, and it won't be pretty.

So, what's next for CNN, pivoting to AI? Declaring it "Comic News Network" and bringing the angry animated avatar guy grift to TV? Because their current strategy....

According to Nielsen, CNN averaged just 335,000 total viewers and 87,000 in the key 25-54 advertising demographic during Friday night’s 8-11 p.m. time slot. (Fridays typically draw fewer cable news viewers than other weeknights.) By comparison, Newsmax drew 357,000 viewers and 45,000 in the demo in primetime on Friday.

I don't think Zaslav can put a winning spin on beating Newsmax in the demo...

• Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

So, what's next for CNN, pivoting to AI? Declaring it "Comic News Network" and bringing the angry animated avatar guy grift to TV? Because their current strategy....

I don't think Zaslav can put a winning spin on beating Newsmax in the demo...

Here's the thing I really don't get about their strategy of pandering to the Trump base

1. Trump's base hates CNN with a passion. They won't turn the channel on if they are paid to do so

2. CNN's viewer base are already angry at their 2016 coverage and hate them platforming Trump

3. Ultra liberal viewers have MSNBC filling that niche

4. The current viewers want CNN to be background noise, not propaganda

They are winning over no one with their current strategy.

Righting the ship feels almost impossible now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Here's the thing I really don't get about their strategy of pandering to the Trump base

1. Trump's base hates CNN with a passion. They won't turn the channel on if they are paid to do so

2. CNN's viewer base are already angry at their 2016 coverage and hate them platforming Trump

Maybe there are some true believers high up at WB/CNN and they won't be so easily swayed by ratings and reputational losses.

CNN deserves to be cancelled for giving a platform to that ogre and allowing him to further spout his lies and attack the woman who he was found guilty in a court of law of both sexual abusing and defaming (while his supporters cheered him on for it). Glad I stopped paying attention to them long before all the negative press they've received lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

They think they'll be rewarded by the Mythical Center out there who Just Wants The News/Hear Both Sides.  Group Four in your list, for the most part.

The problem is, while that Center does in fact exist, it hates Trump with a pretty strong passion and really hates Partisan Circuses.  Which, really, is a Whole Separate Phenomenon about a certain section of America yearning for something it can't presently have, but that's a whole different topic.

Anyway, the way to court these Disgusted With Both Sides viewers, and make no mistake, there are a lot of them out there right now, is NOT to give over the airwaves to The Trump Circus and the MAGA Cheerleaders.

If CNN erred in being Too Partisan In Its Coverage Against Trump (which I ***DON'T*** agree with, but that's what CNN claims it is trying to correct), the solution isn't to invite different circus bears to the show, as it's the bears themselves which turn off The Center.

If I want to be a bit more cynical/realistic, I don't think CNN management is really making a play for MAGA viewers, as they know they're a lost cause.

What I think they are doing is

A] courting the center-right/soft Republicans out there who don't like how Trump acts but like some of the polices he champions

and

B] making a play to be a less tempting target in case the current Populist Right has control of the White House again.

Problem here is, this still misreads things as while the center-right might not have liked to see the way CNN in the past covered Trump, the solution isn't to invite the Trump Show as they still don't like The Actual Trump Show, even if they'll go along with the benefits at times. 

Besides, those viewers are probably already watching CNBC and getting their fix there.

The problem with the second point is... The Current Populist Right are vindictive SOBs and it'll take a LOT of Kissing Ass for them to not go after CNN anyway if the mood strikes them.

On reflection, given Chris Licht's background and presumed politics, it's likely more the second point (courting favor with the leaders of the current Populist Right) than anything else.  But Good Luck in actually securing that favor, coz they'll need it.

NB:  All of this should be at least somewhat on-topic as it's looking at CNN trying to navigate some self-inflicted wounds.

Edited by Porthos

41 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If I want to be a bit more cynical/realistic, I don't think CNN management is really making a play for MAGA viewers, as they know they're a lost cause.

What I think they are doing is

A] courting the center-right/soft Republicans out there who don't like how Trump acts but like some of the polices he champions

and

B] making a play to be a less tempting target in case the current Populist Right has control of the White House again.

Problem here is, this still misreads things as while the center-right might not have liked to see the way CNN in the past covered Trump, the solution isn't to invite the Trump Show as they still don't like The Actual Trump Show, even if they'll go along with the benefits at times. 

Besides, those viewers are probably already watching CNBC and getting their fix there.

The problem with the second point is... The Current Populist Right are vindictive SOBs and it'll take a LOT of Kissing Ass for them to not go after CNN anyway if the mood strikes them.

On reflection, given Chris Licht's background and presumed politics, it's likely more the second point (courting favor with the leaders of the current Populist Right) than anything else.  But Good Luck in actually securing that favor, coz they'll need it.

NB:  All of this should be at least somewhat on-topic as it's looking at CNN trying to navigate some self-inflicted wounds.

Situation on CNN os weird when you look outside the US too. Here in Brazil it was and still is a mouthpiece for the alt right, with people working there literally asking for a cue last year, still making shit up against the democratic elected government and having to retract what they say this year. 

Zaslav is shady as fuck, but I think the issue with CNN runs deeper. I think a good rule of thumb is to not trust neither Fox or CNN. There are better mainstream outlets in the US. MSNBC is good, NY Times is also a serious outlet. There is just better alternatives than CNN when it comes to mainstream media that doesn’t play for Trump fanatics in the US.

• Like 1